Do u guys clean the vents with a vacum or no when they get dusty??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saladfinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 saladfinger
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
topic
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Mine has yet to get any dust in the vents because I keep it covered when not in use. I will clean the vents out when it does build up though.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
Well I guess that could work...using a vaccum...I never thought to vaccum out my PS3...I just use a terry cloth to wipe up dust and then use a can of compressed air to get rid of any excess....
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
mine is still relatively clean.
boofa_2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 boofa_2001
Member since 2005 • 358 Posts
A vaccum is a big no-no with electronics (unless its one of those small vacs they make for keyboards and such). An everyday household vac is much too powerful to use on something as precious as a PS3. Also, a standard vac will ionize the air which can damage electronics. Just something to think about.
tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts
mine seems like a dust magnet... i also have a german shepherd that sheds like a mofo, and all that dander and stuff.  so about every other day i use compressed air and blow as much of the junk out as i can, and use a terry cloth to take off the layer that piles on top of the thing.
rebirthofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rebirthofman
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
A vaccum is a big no-no with electronics (unless its one of those small vacs they make for keyboards and such). An everyday household vac is much too powerful to use on something as precious as a PS3. Also, a standard vac will ionize the air which can damage electronics. Just something to think about.boofa_2001
Guess I should stop using my air compressor then lol.
ShawDowFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShawDowFX
Member since 2003 • 4696 Posts
The PS3 fan doesn't turn on that must. Unless it starts getting really hot, then you hear the PS3's fan. But, now, nah, there's more dust on the box than on the system.
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

mine seems like a dust magnet... i also have a german shepherd that sheds like a mofo, and all that dander and stuff.  so about every other day i use compressed air and blow as much of the junk out as i can, and use a terry cloth to take off the layer that piles on top of the thing.tonyandsteff

LOL...I'm in the same boat as you tony, but worse, I have a Siberian husky. If you walk in my house, you might think you are in a old western movie because of all the tumble weeds of hair.

tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

[QUOTE="tonyandsteff"]mine seems like a dust magnet... i also have a german shepherd that sheds like a mofo, and all that dander and stuff.  so about every other day i use compressed air and blow as much of the junk out as i can, and use a terry cloth to take off the layer that piles on top of the thing.MERC_RECONN

LOL...I'm in the same boat as you tony, but worse, I have a Siberian husky. If you walk in my house, you might think you are in a old western movie because of all the tumble weeds of hair.

LOL i know!!!!!  we have hardwood floors and EVERY TIME someone walks by you're so right!  tumbleweeds of hair go rolling!  we seriously sweep probably twice a day and still, nothing you can do.  we just recently bought a de-shedding comb called the "furminator" and it works awesome.  he loves it, and it takes a majority of his loose hair out.  but that was just a week ago, so maybe once we get into the routine of doing it every day, the dust and hair may slow down.  but for now, i keep the doors shut on the entertainment center until i play.  lol

rebirthofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rebirthofman
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
Could possibly wrap a set of ladies stockings around it. Or rig a filter with that material it work real good for collecting dust. Or possibly get one of those air ionizers and set it right buy your electronics and that should collect most of that dust and stuff..
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts

mine seems like a dust magnet... i also have a german shepherd that sheds like a mofo, and all that dander and stuff.  so about every other day i use compressed air and blow as much of the junk out as i can, and use a terry cloth to take off the layer that piles on top of the thing.tonyandsteff

thats wat ima do THE LAZY WAY

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
A vaccum is a big no-no with electronics (unless its one of those small vacs they make for keyboards and such). An everyday household vac is much too powerful to use on something as precious as a PS3. Also, a standard vac will ionize the air which can damage electronics. Just something to think about.boofa_2001
I've vacuumed my PS3 several times without any problems.
TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts
i dont have a mini vacuum thing so i suck it up and then spit it off, finally i drink some water to clean my dusty mouth
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
[QUOTE="boofa_2001"]A vaccum is a big no-no with electronics (unless its one of those small vacs they make for keyboards and such). An everyday household vac is much too powerful to use on something as precious as a PS3. Also, a standard vac will ionize the air which can damage electronics. Just something to think about.abdelmessih101
I've vacuumed my PS3 several times without any problems.

Unless you're vacumming the motherboard while the unit is turned on, I just can't see it as any kind of threat. I haven't tried it yet, but I use compressed air to clean out from under the memory card slot area (many jambs up in there), and I wipe down my PS3 faihfully every week. I keep mine in pristine condition.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

i do

on a regular basis. or else it chokes up on me sometimes!

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i clean the vents once a month and they are barely any dust in there, because i usually dust the ps3 before i use it and when im done using it i dust it again with a dust wiper, then cover it with the plastic cover that came wrapped around the ps3 when u first get it, it helps ALOT, so yea once a month i vacum the vents but in all honestly even then i dont really have to do it but i do it anyways
EvilBan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EvilBan
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

This is according to the PS3 manual, you can use a low powered vacuum to clean out the ps3 of dust. I suggest to keep a little distance between the vent and the vacuum

Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
I use a mini vacuum to clean it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I've had it for two years and it doesn't get dusty, so no.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I go over the vents every week with a hand vac.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

you are soooo sooooooooooooooo wrong.

I have used a dyson vac on the side vents of my ps3 SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times. You just have to make sure you turn the poweroff at the back of the system, it can't be in "sleep" mode.

If anything, don't spray compressed air into it.

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
No. Never touched my PS3 since I got it (release day) apart from the eject and power buttons.
kingpaul123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingpaul123
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts

no dont do it with a vacuum cleaner i have had my ps3 for just over a year now and decided to clean it but im worried since its the 1st time and im going to use a fine paintbrush then softly dust it over with one of those cloths u get with glases

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

[QUOTE="MERC_RECONN"]

[QUOTE="tonyandsteff"]mine seems like a dust magnet... i also have a german shepherd that sheds like a mofo, and all that dander and stuff. so about every other day i use compressed air and blow as much of the junk out as i can, and use a terry cloth to take off the layer that piles on top of the thing.tonyandsteff

LOL...I'm in the same boat as you tony, but worse, I have a Siberian husky. If you walk in my house, you might think you are in a old western movie because of allthe tumble weeds of hair.

LOL i know!!!!! we have hardwood floors and EVERY TIME someone walks by you're so right! tumbleweeds of hair go rolling! we seriously sweep probably twice a day and still, nothing you can do. we just recently bought a de-shedding comb called the "furminator" and it works awesome. he loves it, and it takes a majority of his loose hair out. but that was just a week ago, so maybe once we get into the routine of doing it every day, the dust and hair may slow down. but for now, i keep the doors shut on the entertainment center until i play. lol

I feel you guys.. sometimes when my GSD is just walking around you can see hairs falling off him..