Do I really need to have an HDTV for the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

poetrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 poetrain
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts

I have my sights set on getting a PS3 pretty soon, but 'm not sure if I have to upgrade my TV set first before I purchase one. Is it really necessary or does having an HDTV simply enhance the gaming experience? Thanks for your input. Best regards!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
If I were you, I would get an HDTV. It totally enhances your gaming experience. If you want to take full advantage of your gaming experience, go HDTV. You wont regret it.
MYDMHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MYDMHD
Member since 2006 • 110 Posts
It is almost necessary :)
Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
Its not necessary, although it is highly recommended if you want to get the most out of your PS3.
elfboy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 elfboy69
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

If you have a computer LCD that is at least 19-24 inches big then you will be fine.

I would not use it on a SDTV, The image quality really sucks compared to HD.

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts
Yeah but the SDTV has no input lag. And is a heck of a lot cheaper if you're not into watching hdtv channels and films.
Varun_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Varun_24
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
ya it really does enhance da experience. also i suggest you get a hdmi cable..........
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts
yessssssssssssssss,,,ppl...just use logic...what loosk better sdtv or hdtv...there is your answer....ppl make such threads everyday...
mgfarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mgfarmer
Member since 2004 • 392 Posts

I am going to be honest with you....just get the PS3 and then save up for an HD. Of course HD enhances the graphics, but its still looks pretty good on a SD. Just make sure to use component cables it will make a big difference.

SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts
the problem most ps3 games suffer from when played on a SDtv is that its VERY difficult to read ANY text on the screen, as its very small and blurry.. other then that no its not really needed, but it defiantly enhances the experience
Assassinslay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Assassinslay
Member since 2007 • 1366 Posts
Yes it enhances the experience
poetrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 poetrain
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts

Thank you all for your answers! I'll definitely be getting the PS3 first and "endure" the not-so-enhanced graphics for a few months. And since we're planning of upgrading the PC as well, the suggestion of having the 19-inch LCD monitor as a substitute for the HDTV just might to do it. Then again, if the budget permits who wouldn't want to get an HDTV :D. Again, my utmost gratitude for the enlightenment! Best regards!

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

You don't NEED an HDTV to enjoy the PS3, but it makes the games look alot better. I understand that money creeps into everyones descision in these circumstances, but here is one thing you should remember. There are only like 4 or 5 PS3 games that run in true 1080p. That being said, you can cut your purchase price of a HDTV almost in half by getting a 720p which is the native resolution of about 95% of all PS3 games to date and ones coming in the near future.

For instance, I bought a 37 inch Phillips 720p LCD on sale for $700. It was normally $900. The games look amazing, the sound is great and I am very satisfied. So if you are looking at getting a HDTV to go along with a PS3, remember that despite what alot of fanboys say in these forums, 1080p is not the standard resolution, 720p is! If you buy a 1080p now primarily to take advantage of gaming on your PS3, then you will simply be wasting $1000 unnecessarily!!

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
You don't need one, but it helps.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I have my sights set on getting a PS3 pretty soon, but 'm not sure if I have to upgrade my TV set first before I purchase one. Is it really necessary or does having an HDTV simply enhance the gaming experience? Thanks for your input. Best regards!

poetrain

The short answer is No. You don't need HDTV to enjoy PS3 games. I was using my SDTV for few months before I was able to afford a good HDTV.

My good friend still enjoys PS3 games on his Tube and It's not to shabby at all. Some games like Folklore however do make his readable text very hard to see - since the game text was created with HDTV sharpness and clearness in mind.

OF course, games will look better on HDTV, that's a fact. But it's not necessary - It's up to you and your own budget. :)

lordmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordmt
Member since 2005 • 1067 Posts

poetrain

No you don't have to have one. But i wish i had one.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Thank you all for your answers! I'll definitely be getting the PS3 first and "endure" the not-so-enhanced graphics for a few months. And since we're planning of upgrading the PC as well, the suggestion of having the 19-inch LCD monitor as a substitute for the HDTV just might to do it. Then again, if the budget permits who wouldn't want to get an HDTV :D. Again, my utmost gratitude for the enlightenment! Best regards!

poetrain

A person of priorities....I like that!!! Until your budget can accommodate an HDTV, don't lose any sleep over the graphics becuase you still get the same AWSOME gameplay. BUT once you do go HD...you'll become a graphic whore!!! lol

Altair69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Altair69
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

poetrain

u dont HAVE to.. but its so very much worth it, if u are short on money u could get a 32"? but i really recommend a 37++ hdtv. of course its nice on sdtv too, just make sure u never try a hdtv, cause u wont ever go back! :P

Avatar image for lukasz_erecinsk
lukasz_erecinsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lukasz_erecinsk
Member since 2004 • 1235 Posts
It's like asking if you need to have a dishwasher at home - the answer is clear: no, you don't - however, it's awesome if you have one. ( Man ... it sucks not to have a dishwasher ... in fact i think that i would be willing to trade my tv for a dishwasher :P)
potterpipi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 potterpipi
Member since 2005 • 16597 Posts
It looks awesome in SD, but it looks far better on an HDTV. However, if that question decides wether you buy a PS3 or not, then just keep the SD if you're low on cash.
AlienOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 AlienOverlord
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts
Some people still don't have an HDTV? Do you still watch VHS tapes? What kind of impression are you making to the ladies with your SDTV? It says "my wiener is so small I have to compensate with this big bulky TV set".
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts

it also says that tube tvs. produce a better quality of picture then lcd/plasma.. especially when it comes to black levels, i made sure that my tv was a tube hdtv.. may be heavy but the picture quality is better then most

for the record i was talking about hdtv's.. just because the tv is bigger and lighter doesnt make it better

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

i don't have to have an HDTV, but the picture will look much better if you do. If you are using a standard TV, make sure you use a large one. The biggest problem you are likely to encounter is being unable to read the subtitles or other info games give you - most 360 and ps3 ganes insist on using tiny fonts that you can only see if you have a 50 inch tv.

Seriously though, if you can't afford a HDTV, still buy the PS3... what you haven't experienced you can't miss....

Seriously though,

XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts

Its not necessary, although it is highly recommended if you want to get the most out of your PS3.RandomBeast

fo' sho'

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
You can find a nice LCD HDTV at a reasonable price and they have several benefit's over Plasma's and rear projection TV's. The LCD's are getting better all the time and the prices are dropping on these TV's as well.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

I am going to be honest with you....just get the PS3 and then save up for an HD. Of course HD enhances the graphics, but its still looks pretty good on a SD. Just make sure to use component cables it will make a big difference.

mgfarmer

That's what I am doing right now.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

It's like asking if you need to have a dishwasher at home - the answer is clear: no, you don't - however, it's awesome if you have one. ( Man ... it sucks not to have a dishwasher ... in fact i think that i would be willing to trade my tv for a dishwasher :P)lukasz_erecinsk

Dam I wish I had one. :( I hate washing dishes. :evil:

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

Well lets be honest here. HDTV is a must for PS3. Im not saying you wont enjoy it on a SDTV but my opinion would be to buy a HDTV FIRST. Reasons,

1. Get a nice 1080p television not a 720p tv like the previous post mentions. Dont waste your money on an inferior tv that you will regret buying in the near future.

2. I would wait on the PS3 until MGS 4 or the full Grand Turismo game comes out next year.

Trust me on this. You wouldnt buy a Porsche if you couldnt put gas in it would ya? So why buy a PS3 without HD?

Be smart with your money get a hdtv and then sony would have rolled out home and in game xmb and possibly another price cut.

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
i was wondering how the ps3 shapped up on a SDTV, seems like it will still be good till we get a HDTV if we do. at least i now have another reason for parents to buy one hehehe
DWCsUpAFrEaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DWCsUpAFrEaK
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts
you dont necessarily need it.. but i can tell you that it does enhance your gaming experience.. and you wont regret getting one.. and your eyes will thank you for the beautiful sights it will behold..
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

though not essential, I still suggest getting an HDTV... I got one 3 weeks after my PS3 and it made a huge difference..

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
it will game a big difference
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
I'll put it this way. PS3 was designed for HDTV, but will do standard and greatly reduce your gaming experience.
ludacriss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ludacriss
Member since 2005 • 1150 Posts

Its not necessary, although it is highly recommended if you want to get the most out of your PS3.RandomBeast

Exactly.

LordMetalWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LordMetalWolf
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I agree totally with CorporateHamm. I went with a new 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Series 1080p TV, and I am so happy that I did. And I think the waiting part would be good, at least for a little bit until they bundle the new Dual Shock Sixaxis Controller with the PS3.
Phearr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Phearr
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts
I swtiched from those huge tv to a 32 hdtv and its way better. i got a question while im here.. is it better to make my settigns 720p or 1080p? will it make it better when its 720 since its a 32 and i heard that 1080 is good for liek 40 inches. SO my question is what should i put it as 1080 or 720?
GratefulRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GratefulRed
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

I've been playing mine on a 32in std tv, specifically COD4 and Motorstorm (got the 80gb bundle) and they both look very good in my opinion. Better than my ps2. Will it look better on the 46' Sammy I'm about to get....sure. However, I've been enjoying the gaming for the past three months while gearing up for the LCD purchase. Now, once I get it....it will be like getting a whole new ps3!!

In reality I WILL be getting a new ps3...because mine just crapped out on Sunday! ARRRGHHH !!

pirategunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pirategunner
Member since 2007 • 819 Posts
Playing a ps3 on a sdtv is like taking a Bentley offroading.
coffey85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coffey85
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

Anyone running their ps3 through a computer monitor with a HDMI connection ?

I use a crap 14" portable it hurts my eyes text is impossible to read, but the gaming is still great, really need a HD or bigger TV though

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

Yeah but the SDTV has no input lag. And is a heck of a lot cheaper if you're not into watching hdtv channels and films.dbd333

but PS3 can upscale your regular dvd

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 snwboardn08
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
I would. While it looks good in SD, HD just makes gaming 100 times better.
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#42 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
HD no doubt
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

poetrain

I would highly recommend it. Not just for games, but for Blu-Ray, which is awesome. :)

SBDTANGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SBDTANGO
Member since 2004 • 360 Posts

poetrain

The answer is a 3 letter word that rhymes with mess.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

I swtiched from those huge tv to a 32 hdtv and its way better. i got a question while im here.. is it better to make my settigns 720p or 1080p? will it make it better when its 720 since its a 32 and i heard that 1080 is good for liek 40 inches. SO my question is what should i put it as 1080 or 720? Phearr

If the source material has 1080p then this is the optimal setting. All this meand is 1080 lines are refreshing progressive, or 1080 lines next to each other. 1080i every other line or interlaced. If your source is 720p then switching to 720p would be optimal. Hopes this helps. Also it has nothing to do with screen size.