DNS error 80710102 help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Krammin (438 posts) -

All has been grand in the form of internet connection and my PS3, that was until this morning when I tried to connect and I got the error code 'DNS error 80710102'. Anybody know why this would happen and if so, how to fix the problem? Have an ethernet connection running from a NETGEAR DG834G. As stated, the last 9 months have been error free, so am kinda lost in why this has occured.

Thanks for any help guys.

PSN - kramin

#2 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

I don't even own a PS3 but..

It sounds like it may be an intermittent DNS issue on your ISP's end (by default, you will be using your ISP's domain name servers.) However, if you made it to Gamespot on a machine connected to the same router, that's probably not the issue.

You could try inputting some DNS servers manually in your PS3 network settings (instead of automatically acquiring them) and see how works for you. I use '4.2.2.2' and '4.2.2.3' ..easy to remember, never had any problems with them, and I ping the 4.2.2.x servers really nicely (I believe Verizon provides them.)

#3 Posted by Krammin (438 posts) -
Am using internet at work as didn't get time to test internet connection on my mac at home. Anyways, thanks for the info. will try manually entering the DNS numbers - you say to use '4.2.2.2' and '4.2.2.3 (may I ask why those numbers should work better?)
#4 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

Am using internet at work as didn't get time to test internet connection on my mac at home. Anyways, thanks for the info. will try manually entering the DNS numbers - you say to use '4.2.2.2' and '4.2.2.3 (may I ask why those numbers should work better?)Krammin

The main reason I use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 is because Verizon's domain name servers are consistent and responsive from where I live. As such, I've made it a habit of using them with any machine I set up for internet usage.

They won't necessarily work "better" for you; in fact, they may very well be less responsive than your ISP's domain name servers. I just suggested inputting these domain name servers manually as a way to narrow down your problem. If you input these DNS addresses and your connection still isn't working, obviously it's something else that's causing your problem ;) (possibly an issue with your router or another part of your network configuration.)

#5 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

Are you using a wired connection? If you are it might be a good idea to connect directly to the modem. This could help you figure out if the router is the problem. Also, you may have tried this already but every once in a while I have to reset my modem and router by turning them off/on to get online with my ps3.

Good Luck

#7 Posted by Krammin (438 posts) -

Am using wired connection straight into the PS3 from modem. Might have to reset modem through the netgear router site as tried powering it down and back up again.

Thanks for the input guys.

#8 Posted by macmacmac1 (25 posts) -
i have the same dns error i am using wired connection i have tried turning modem on and off and still no internet :( can u please help me do this i am trying to play call of duty online ty
#9 Posted by T-Machine99 (1848 posts) -
Try putting your PS3 in DMZ mode under firewall settings for your router.
#10 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -
And the PS3 network errors continue....I'm telling you guys it's gotta be somethin up with the internal wireless/LAN card the PS3 uses because I get a million different 800 and 807 errors. Everything else connects completely fine such as my 360 and other things in my house, but nooooo it's always the PS3 with these silly errors. Get it together Sony!!!!
#11 Posted by vette68 (151 posts) -
I get that error all the time, I just restart my ps3 and sign back in and it works. If it don't work for you, I'm not sure what you can do.
#12 Posted by Lyphe2k (3385 posts) -
Yeah I think I got a similar error where I was signed off for no reason. All of this and I was playing an online match.
#13 Posted by naumica (25 posts) -
i have an PS3 with the same DNS error and i have a mac...i don't have a modem...just wired connection..plz help me!i need to play COD4!(online)
#14 Posted by jupebox (25 posts) -
Miraculously, 4.2.2.2 worked as a DNS for me (during the internet connection test). But then, I couldn't sign into the PlayStation network anymore. Any ideas? Also, if the issue is the DNS, what does that narrow the problem down to? My ISP / internet provider? My laptop works fine with DHCP and doesn't need a static IP. All of a sudden the PS3 doesn't work that way.
#15 Posted by MikeyIsPogi (854 posts) -

Power cycle your modem and router and maybe input the IP settings manually on your Ps3

#16 Posted by Realitys_Flaw (25 posts) -
Thanks a lot Velocitas8!!! I was really having a problem with my internet connection and inputting 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 into the dns worked like a charm. Keep being awsome.
#17 Posted by barfnite (25 posts) -
Had the same prob, I had first used the easy setup and it had worked for a few months, but then it just would not all of a sudden, I manually entered all details (DNS, router etc) it still would not work on my wireless connection, i went back to easy setup and let everything be set as automatic and NOW it works!!!!.... have no idea why the change of heart... but it works..
#18 Posted by MGS-Mercenary (130 posts) -

Here is an old post from a different issue, but doing all of what is says SHOULD fix the DNS error 80710102.

Here is the post topic and my post:http://bit.ly/e8PVBV

And here is an actual copy of my post:

First things first, disable media server unless you absolutely need it, searching for an extra service slows the whole system down. Second of all, if you can narrow it down to a router issue, then your ps3 isn't receiving the download right. I would guess you are in one of two situations. 1. You have an OLD router that does not support UpNp or 2. That you have an older router (3-4 years) and it either doesn't have the latest firmware or has very poor UpNp control. For this reason, I suggest you find the appropriate firmware for you router online and apply it. Directionshere. If that doesn't work, disable UpNp through the PS3 network settings and put your PS3 in the DMZ, which is 99.9% safe. Guide for that foundhere. Before you do that, perhaps configuring your network for speed and statically would work best. Here is aguide. Instead of using the two DNS servers the link I just listed tells you, go to this link, run the 100% harmlessprogramon your computer. It is confirmed safehereand you can confirm ithere.Use the top two DNS's from the "Response Time" category, and maybe your router/patch issues will get better. I've had to do a lot of research to get my PS3's online working well, so I hope I can help you too!

By the way, just a quick explanation of what UpNp and the DMZ is. UpNp is a protocol found on most routers that opens ports (which are little network tunnels ranging from 1-65535 about) on the fly in your network if an application or programs needs to do so. Think of it like toll booths in a city that lets people in when they need to come in. The only problem with UpNp is that some applications have trouble communicating with it, or sometimes a whole set of applications, like that used by the PS3. For this reason, UpNp can be helpful, but not always. The DMZ, on the other hand, is a protocol for a certain IP address though a router (like your PS3's) that keeps all ports open at all times. If an application needs to use a port, it doesn't need to communicate with UpNp, it just goes right through. DMZ is 99.9% good on PS3s but 100% bad on PCs. Ports open up way for malicious network traffic, which on a PC, will bypass much of the firewall and infiltrate a computer. However, as long as the DMZ assigned IP address is that of the PS3 ONLY, the PS3 is the only device at risk, and the PS3 is not the target of network villains, so it is not much of a concern. With all of this being said, unless your router has the very newest UpNp software and firmware, the DMZ is usually the more preferable choice. Just make sure though, that either UpNp is on OR the DMZ, not both at the same time, they can cause conflicts with each-other.

Good Luck!

#19 Posted by black_ops17 (25 posts) -
i have the same dns error i am using wired connection i have tried turning modem on and off and still no internet :( can u please help me do this i am trying to play call of duty online tymacmacmac1
dude im to play cod online i dont get it was working for a sec now it wont let me log on