DLC why pay for it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Now I understand sometimes developers want to add to the game they already made instead of you know...making a sequal with virtually no difforence *cough L4D 2 cough* but why should we have to pay for it? We already spend 60 bucks on this new game then all of a sudden have to spend 10-15 maybe 20 more on it, making this 50-60 dollar game 70-80, does anyone else think this is kind of a rip off?

If they are gonna add to a game that already exists that mind you we have already payed in full for, why should we have to pay more to fully enjoy a game we already own?

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

You don't have to pay for DLC, it's optional.

Now.. do some developers make DLC from already finished product to make extra money and rip gamers of what should had been included in the original game already? This generation they certainly do and I don't support or agree with that strategy.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Because it cost them money to make the DLC.........After a game is relased lets say CODWAW,,,,nazi zombies became very BIG!!! so they hired a team to develop a 2nd map,,,,they had to pay them hourly for how many weeks it took to create the map.......

Then a 3rd map was signed, and they had to repeat the process, hire a team and invest money

Over all,,,,I dont know 1 person who does not like making money,,,,,,,hence why they charge......

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

one word optional

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Honestly I think the stuff is already made and they just put it out and say its new content.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
More money for them..... but I hardly buy them, very few I want anyways.
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
It may be optional in some respect; however, if you like the game why not extend the life of the game by getting the DLC. For example, I love Dragon Age and I could see myself playing it for a while. The new DLC that's coming out is going to $40. I may/may not get it depending on if I finish the game or not. So yeah, something to think about.
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Honestly I think the stuff is already made and they just put it out and say its new content.

duane27

Agreed!

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

[QUOTE="duane27"]

Terrencec06

Agreed!

+1

once a game is finished they go to develop a new one, so it's the dev that decides once it's finished developing what will be in the final game and what people will have to pay more as DLC

(some exceptions exist : I think Borderlands is one as it's a relatively small studio that doesn't produce many games, so they can develop DLC with a limited team if people seem interested - note : creating a new map and new enemies doesn't seem insanely time costly, as it's just some textures you have to change)

lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
The development and production of the extra content costs money as well. No one is forcing you to buy the extra stuff. If you do not want to pay for it then don't, it isn't mandatory.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xorital

The development and production of the extra content costs money as well. No one is forcing you to buy the extra stuff. If you do not want to pay for it then don't, it isn't mandatory.lyndonAPI

As true as it is, There are some games with DLC I actualy want because I feel like i'm missing out (like Borderlands is practicaly a breathing spawn on DLC) but it costs money so I have to pass...its not really that its expensive, I just feel riped off paying for a game I own :/

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I buy DLC because it expands the life of games i like to play.
Zelos-W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zelos-W
Member since 2005 • 408 Posts

[QUOTE="Terrencec06"]

[QUOTE="duane27"]

TheTenth10

Agreed!

+1

once a game is finished they go to develop a new one, so it's the dev that decides once it's finished developing what will be in the final game and what people will have to pay more as DLC

(some exceptions exist : I think Borderlands is one as it's a relatively small studio that doesn't produce many games, so they can develop DLC with a limited team if people seem interested - note : creating a new map and new enemies doesn't seem insanely time costly, as it's just some textures you have to change)

I think you fail to see how much time and effort even needs to go into one area of creating a map. Lets say this is a very trimmed down version of the whole process. Designs, schematics and ideas are all laid down. They decide what works, what doesn't where things can and can't go. Then they have to decide on a final plan. Once that's done, the level creators come in. Build it to spec. Then Lighting and Texturing comes in. This is a huge process alone. Getting lighting right in one area to give it a feel, its time consuming to say the least. After that, test plays, if something isn't or doesn't feel right, they'll go back and change it and this process loops, a lot. Finally, it can go into the final stages of being part of the DLC content to work within the game. Bare in mind, that is a very stripped version of the process. However, I do agree that a lot of developers take chunks out of a final product of a game and sell it on. What really annoys me is the content that people have to pay for, which changes a characters appearance. I mean, hell, what happened to the days when you had to play through a game and unlock costumes yourself? Now you have to pay for them? No thanks, I'll boycot that. Edit: Not to mention building and importing custom models if the developers decide to add new enemies etc.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

TheTenth10
So, a small team can work on DLC on the side but a large team can't? That sure makes sense... People generalize this matter too much. There have been instances where content was already on the disc and only needed an unlock key to access. However, more often than not, DLC is content that had to be cut out of the game due to time constraints. 12 year olds may think game development takes no effort, but the reality is that games are broken, buggy and ugly in their early stages and at some point, the producer has to decide what parts the team will polish to put in the final game and what will need to be cut. Even more, games are finalized 1-2 months before they go on store shelves, so in that down period where everything is locked in, the team can either move on to another game or work on that DLC to entice people with additional content. Ultimately, you have the option to buy DLC, so why complain? Your $50-$60 give you the right to what's on the disc, no more, no less. If you think the game is not worth its price on its own, don't buy it.
PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

If it is worth the money than yeah, if not than no. What I mean by that is for example the two (first one and the upcoming) DLC for Borderlands I believe is worth the extra money. The new Awakening for Dragon Age will be worth the extra money. The developers created more content, drops, areas, and put time and work hours into it to make extra content that most people wish they could play more of. It used to be you couldn't download content you had to go out and buy the extra content on disc. (unless it was user created) Think back to like Lord of Destruction for D2 or Throne of the Lich King for WC3, they was like 50 bucks. You gained just as much as most offer today in their DLC. You are actually saving money if you download it because it takes production costs out of it like packaging, labor, and shipping.

Now for content like maybe a map or 2, some costumes/skins, and maybe a few extra guns. I don't think it is worth it. I don't want to pay to look like something else, or have one or two extra maps to multiplayer on.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Difforence is actually spelled difference, L4D 2 had its share of differences as described in nearly every review of the game. You don't have to pay for it if you choose not to. Smart people don't spend 60 bucks on a game, they either shop around, buy online, buy used, borrow from a friend, or rent. So, No, I don't think it's a rip off. If I enjoy the game enough I will buy DLC to add more to the game. What irritates me more I suppose is people who whine about something they don't even have to buy, something that's completely optional.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I know this stuff is optional to buy, but it'd be nice to see a company put out something as simple as a costume set without charging for it (looking at Capcom). It would be a nice little "thank you for being a customer." I mean I spent $60-$70 on the game, why not tip your hat in my direction once in awhile? It's somewhat insulting.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

I know this stuff is optional to buy, but it'd be nice to see a company put out something as simple as a costume set without charging for it (looking at Capcom). It would be a nice little "thank you for being a customer." I mean I spent $60-$70 on the game, why not tip your hat in my direction once in awhile? It's somewhat insulting.

Conjuration
capcom , they dont even give you everything whats already on disk (re5) , why should they give you new skins for free ?
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

So you expect them to do all that extra work for free? i bet your opinion will change once you get a real job...

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

i dont think edler scrolls 4 had already made dlc, shimmering isles did come out awhile after release too.

some games also like halo 3 didnt have it either, but i do think developers release games with dlc already planned for release that could of easily be put on the game. dragon age for one.. they are putting out this 40 dollar expansion not even half a year that the game has been released? not to include other exexpansions they have released already??

im surprised activision hasnt been milking dlc for mw2 yet, i thiought forsure they would have planned map packs for release already made.

but then again some games like fallout 3 have a certain amount of dlc they are gonna release for a game or that they worked on and gta4 did too? they planned a trilogy of dlc or something and did it

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xorital

^

With the 40 dollar DLC its actualy pretty much another game..about 25 level cap increase..continuing the story from where the main line left off etc..so I can understand that particular DLC..although I think its a disk, I dunno, i'm hearing different things on that one.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I believe that DLC can be a rip off depending on the game company's decision. For example, when RE5 came out last year, it only took about less than 2 months for them to come out with that vs. mode DLC for $5, it came so soon that it makes you think wether Capcom pulled a dirty move just to earn more money quickly. Now a good move that Capcom has done is releasing their most recent DLC, the Lost in Nightmares and the costume pack for a decent price, it's been awhile since I played RE5, so this was pretty fresh, especially the Lost in Nightmares episode including new characters such as Barry and Exella to play in the Mercenaries Reunion, all for $5... not bad at all.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Sometimes DLC is a ripoff, like with Tiger Woods Golf where they have twice as many courses on the Wii version, but if you want them on the PS3 or Xbox, you have to pay $10 each to download them. Same with any DLC that comes out simultaneously with the game's launch, or just a few days later. That stuff should be included with the game, or if it wasn't ready in time, made available for free. With more publishers looking to make a quick buck any way possible, we'll likely be seeing that trend continue to grow.

Most of the time though I think DLC is okay. If you really like a game, have played through it and would be willing to pay a little extra for some new content, the option is available. If not, don't.

erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

And I know you DLC lovers are going to bring the "you dont have to buy" argument. How about I sell you a book, take out chapter 5, and sell it 2 months later for 1/4 the cost of the book? But you jackasses dont care. Youd pay for it anyway right?

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenderUnit22

And I know you DLC lovers are going to bring the "you dont have to buy" argument. How about I sell you a book, take out chapter 5, and sell it 2 months later for 1/4 the cost of the book? But you jackasses dont care. Youd pay for it anyway right?

erglesmergle
Then the review of that book would say "this book is garbage because someone removed a chapter" and I wouldn't buy your book.
Ignicaeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Ignicaeli
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

Same with any DLC that comes out simultaneously with the game's launch, or just a few days later. That stuff should be included with the game, or if it wasn't ready in time, made available for free.

Jackc8

Didn't EA announce Dante's Inferno DLC not simultaniously, or a week after, but before the game launch (In USA shores at least... i think it was simultaneous to EU version... not sure though).

erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 erglesmergle

[QUOTE="erglesmergle"]

BenderUnit22

Then the review of that book would say "this book is garbage because someone removed a chapter" and I wouldn't buy your book.

Reviews should have said the same about Assassins Creed 2 then. Its too bad they didnt. Now all those people who bought the game, will have to pay for the DLC chapter to get the full experience.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
Why pay for DLC? Because...you can't have it for free? Because its optional? Yes it sucks that sometimes DLC is released the same time the game is for some extra bucks, but what can you do?
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenderUnit22

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"][QUOTE="erglesmergle"]

erglesmergle

Reviews should have said the same about Assassins Creed 2 then. Its too bad they didnt. Now all those people who bought the game, will have to pay for the DLC chapter to get the full experience.

I played AC2, the game is great as it is and I don't feel like I'm missing something by not having had those memory-bits. Guess what, turns out Battle of Forli wasn't all that great, so I'm thankful I didn't have to play it to get back to the good parts of Ezio's story. If the missing chapter in your book is a boring episode of the protagonist buying milk at the grocery store and the rest of it was an intelligent thriller, I'd buy that book and tell you to keep your chapter 5.
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

skip the happy meal mommy gets for you and ask for dlc........Nazi Zombies was well worth the 10$ for each map....maybe u guys are buying the wrong content

erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 erglesmergle

[QUOTE="erglesmergle"]

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"] Then the review of that book would say "this book is garbage because someone removed a chapter" and I wouldn't buy your book.BenderUnit22

I played AC2, the game is great as it is and I don't feel like I'm missing something by not having had those memory-bits. Guess what, turns out Battle of Forli wasn't all that great, so I'm thankful I didn't have to play it to get back to the good parts of Ezio's story. If the missing chapter in your book is a boring episode of the protagonist buying milk at the grocery store and the rest of it was an intelligent thriller, I'd buy that book and tell you to keep your chapter 5.

I wasnt anticipating this but I guess you win there. But this way of thinking isnt good for the industry IMO. Where do you draw the line between whats real DLC and whats DLC that was held back for profit? What if a dev makes a game thats so damn good that even if they leave out a bunch of levels, skins and MP modes, its still worth the money? You would never know the truth and you would still be getting your moneys worth but the game could have been that much better for $60 if DLC didnt exist.

Its like taking a chapter out of a book and selling it later. Whether that chapter is worth the money or not, it still could have been in the book originally. You would never know if I wrote that chapter as an addon or took it out to sell later. Its just not knowing that bugs me. Like not knowing if RE5s Versus DLC was held back or really planned out after release.

Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts

i do like the idea of downloadable content like borderlands or fallout or even map pack content but i think that the DLC that is associated with the kind like Resident evil 5 where you had to pay 5 buck to unlock something already on the disk, and Assins Creed 2 where they took missions out of the game and are making you pay for them later, is complete and utter bull****,

they shouldn't be able to do that and i wont buy it. I will buy stuff that adds replay value to online or campaign but if was origionally supposed to be there and now they want you to pay more for it... count me out..

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
The dlc thing is actually funny because it was originally made so they could add content to the game. But now it seems some companies take things out of the game so they can later sell it as dlc. its the exact opposite of what dlc is suppose to be.
naaros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 naaros
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

The AC2 DLC kinda bugs me. I feel like they had it planned to do that long before the game was ever released in an attempt to get another $10 outta the fans. I love AC1 and 2, but I refuse to pay $5-6 for an hour's worth of play that should have been in the original game.