This topic is locked from further discussion.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

Do you purchase games if they are DLC only? I personally prefer a hardcopy and it sucks because a couple good games have been dlc only and it's the reason I skipped them like LIMBO,Infamous Festival Of Blood and now I Am Alive.... I did manage to import Ratchet And Clank Quest For Booty Hardcopy.

NamelessJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NamelessJay
Member since 2007 • 3082 Posts

I would much rather have hard copies of games but I DO buy some DLC games that I just know I won't be able to get a disc for. Out of the 248 PS3 games I own about 10 to 15 of them are DLC games.

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

I will download games, if they look good and get good reviews. I usually delete them when I am done. If I want to replay them at a later date I will just re-download them. You are allowed three downloads before you have to rebuy.

Avatar image for Dark_Metamorphosis
Dark_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Dark_Metamorphosis
Member since 2003 • 13353 Posts

I don't mind. Even for hard copy games. I recently got RE5: Gold Edition from the PSN for $20

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I love digital games... I have a bunch of PSN games, and a handful of full PS3 games digitally as well.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I much prefer hard copies, and I hate digital distribution, I hope it never becomes the norm. I like being able to actually OWN and have in my possession a hard copy of a game. And with digital distribution, there would be no more used games or borrowing games from friends.

live-a-live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 live-a-live
Member since 2012 • 196 Posts

Eh, 99% of DLC games are crap. (My opinion)

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

If the game is available as both versions, I'd definitely go for the physical copy. But I don't mind downloadable games, and there's some really great ones you'd be missing out on if you refuse to buy digital-only games: Castle Crashers, Trine, Clash of Heroes, Outland, Wipeout HD, etc.

Avatar image for Dark_Metamorphosis
Dark_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Dark_Metamorphosis
Member since 2003 • 13353 Posts

Wipeout HD is digital only?

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

Do you purchase games if they are DLC only? I personally prefer a hardcopy and it sucks because a couple good games have been dlc only and it's the reason I skipped them like LIMBO,Infamous Festival Of Blood and now I Am Alive.... I did manage to import Ratchet And Clank Quest For Booty Hardcopy.

ReviewerDrake
Depends. On PS3 I prefer hardcopy but on PC I prefer digital. With that being said, if there's a good downloadable game on the PS3, I'd still buy it. Also digital distribution =/= DLC.
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Prefer Hard copy but doesn't really matter to me. If I want to play it, I will buy it.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="dk00111"] Depends. On PS3 I prefer hardcopy but on PC I prefer digital. With that being said, if there's a good downloadable game on the PS3, I'd still buy it.

I'm the same.
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

Prefer Hard copy but doesn't really matter to me. If I want to play it, I will buy it.

Terrencec06
Boom. This is the answer.
wonderboy_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#14 wonderboy_46
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts
I download a lot of games. However, if a game is available on disc as well, I will always buy the disc version. That said, there are loads of really exciting and innovative downloadable games that offer thrilling experiences for far cheaper than a full-price retail game. Because downloadable games are smaller in scope, they often come close to perfecting their gameplay mechanics as they are not distracted by the need to tag-on multiplayer modes or create a "blockbuster" game to advertise on TV.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I prefer having a 'hard' copy. BUT DLC only is the only viable option for many developers or games/projects -see costs growing at a tremendous rate and selling price actually falling for the reasoning...games cost much more to make and sell for far less -DLC only allows for smaller devs to bring games to market and allows for bigger devs to take chances ...something that would not be possible otherwise (can't risk not selling tons of copies when a game costs $10+ million to make) As a result, there is no way I am going to pass on great games just b/c they are DLC only 1. that would be dumb...miss out on great games 2. support devs that take chances/innovate 3. support smaller devs
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#16 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I don't have a problem with DLC only games.

From a packrat perspective, it's nice to have a physical copy of the game but I'm not going to say no to playing Limbo because I can't have a piece of plastic in my hands.

What does piss me off is buying a $60.00 hardcopy of a game and then there being a gig or so of patches that are required to make the game acceptable. Ugh.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

perfer hardcopy, i dunno, just dont like having actual games as a dlc. as for like game add ons and such, dlc is fine though.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

I love it. Hard copies take up valuable shelf space and I always have to clean my cat's poop out of them. I hope digital distribution becomes the norm for gaming and destroys used copies and borrowing from friends, as those two methods of playing games are essentially piracy.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
if a game is on both option, I prefer and only get the hard copy. I dunno is something about opening the case, seeing booklet, the new smell of a new game... I don`t know if is the old-school nostalgia in me or just liking to open new stuff, or having them all display for years to come.... but love hardcopies. but if a game is only DLC, that will not stop me from getting it... e.g. in this case I am Alive is MUST for me (which btw I didn`t know it was a DLC only) that said, I think that I am Alive is gonna be my 1st PS3 full DLC game
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

I hope digital distribution becomes the norm for gaming and destroys used copies and borrowing from friends, as those two methods of playing games are essentially piracy.TheFallenDemon

don`t take this the wrong way.. but, REALLY?!?!?! I may agree with used copies, no as piracy, but retails get way too much advantage of that. But borrowing from a friend? Guess u always had so much money that could get any and as many games, or you prefer to sacrifice yourself and don`t play the game? bc this is piracy? I don`t borrow games, i have the money to buy as many as I want, now at days; and never was really a limit.. but REALLY?!?!?!

also, I dunno if u r an "old-gamer", but you don`t feel any kind of nostalgia for a old cartrige? (oh forget it, i can`t spell that world :lol: ) ... by now a PS2 game on my shelf look so nice, and give me this ... "hmmmm, let me pick this old game and play some old graphics, with somehow clunky controller in all it amazing glory" .... no? nothing? A kitty just die/....

oh well... all with their own.. :(

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

No I haven t bought DLC only games. I did forPSP go but not PS3.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReviewerDrake

I heard LIMBO is supposed to be coming in a hardcopy soon.

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
When I saw DLC I was thinking add on dlc not just games. Yeah I buy digitally a lot...well more for PC games then PS3...I have probably only 10 or so digital psn stuff. Few old titles from PS days, and few others like LBP, Dead Nation and more I am sure. Being more of PC gamer you do get decent deals compared to the digital for psn... I would rather for my consoles in most cases go with a hard copy often because I buy used so is cheaper.
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
i never play games twice, so I prefer downloading it. I have a bunch of old copies of games worth nothing that I will never play.
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I never have and never will buy digital only games or any sort of DLC, why the hell would I want to pay money for a game I don't really own and can't sell and can't lend to friends? Physical copies are the obvious superior choice, the day digital distribution is the only way to buy new games will be the day I stop buying any new games.

Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Orpheus_Evo
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

I love it. Hard copies take up valuable shelf space and I always have to clean my cat's poop out of them. I hope digital distribution becomes the norm for gaming and destroys used copies and borrowing from friends, as those two methods of playing games are essentially piracy.TheFallenDemon

I'm with you on this one.

The only thing I could add is that I hope PSN's digital distribution becomes a lot more "efficient" (i.e. games like Infamous CAN'T cost 20 bucks! :shock: And games like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune should have a digital version by now!).

aMyLoO2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aMyLoO2007
Member since 2003 • 2807 Posts
I have some but I'm a huge stickler for cases. I have a thing about not owning greatest hits cases either..call me weird but the big red stripe just irks me lol. Downloadable games are usually just as good from what I've seen/used; I just prefer the hard copy.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReviewerDrake

I don't mind buying add-ons at all I'm all for it Heck I recently got the inFAMOUS 2 character skins bundle its just games I have a problem with I would rather have a disc that I can pop in and out I also enjoy having the Box art and even the booklets even though I never read them.

Noname81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Noname81
Member since 2011 • 186 Posts

I prefer disk based games, but if a game is less than $20 I'll buy the DLC version. Any higher and I'll buy it on disk because you can't resell DLC.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

Meh I have like 5 DLC games, South Park Tower Defense, Scott Pilgrim, Trials HD, and a couple more.

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I don't mind. I've been dying to play LIMBO and Outland but I don't have enough money in my PSN wallet right now.

Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Orpheus_Evo

I don't mind. I've been dying to play LIMBO and Outland but I don't have enough money in my PSN wallet right now.GamerChick2083

Do you have a (kinda) good PC?

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I will download games, if they look good and get good reviews. I usually delete them when I am done. If I want to replay them at a later date I will just re-download them. You are allowed three downloads before you have to rebuy.

doolindesperado

Reason #4080 to go disc over digital if possible. I didn't even know there was a download limit on the same console.

I much prefer hard copies, and I hate digital distribution, I hope it never becomes the norm. I like being able to actually OWN and have in my possession a hard copy of a game. And with digital distribution, there would be no more used games or borrowing games from friends.

GeoffZak

If digital distribution becomes the norm, I'll be a strctly legacy gamer from this gen on back.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

I purchas games becasue i love playing it or i want to try something new whether be it hard copy or DLC doesnt matter...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="doolindesperado"]

HipHopBeats

Reason #4080 to go disc over digital if possible. I didn't even know there was a download limit on the same console.

GeoffZak

If digital distribution becomes the norm, I'll be a strctly legacy gamer from this gen on back.

You can download digital stuff as many times as you want on your PSN account..

Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Orpheus_Evo
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="doolindesperado"]

Yeah, but that's ONLY in the "original" console where you have your ID (so everything "matches")... You have only 3 downloads out of that one, since the latest Agreement.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="Orpheus_Evo"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Yeah, but that's ONLY in the "original" console where you have your ID (so everything "matches")... You have only 3 downloads out of that one, since the latest Agreement.

You can re-download stuff on your activated console as much as you want... If your console breaks, just deactivate it via the PSN website, or if you sell it, just de-activate it from the console before hand..
Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Orpheus_Evo

You can re-download stuff on your activated console as much as you want...MethodManFTW

That's what I said... :roll:

If your console breaks, just deactivate it via the PSN website, or if you sell it, just de-activate it from the console before hand..MethodManFTW

Wow! Really!? I didn't knew you could do that! Thanks for the tip! *THUMBS UP*

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

i prefer hard copy myself but i would never dismiss a good game just because its download only... thats just stupid

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
Really doesn't matter. If the game is good, I'll go either way.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ReviewerDrake

Why the heck is everyone's text orange now.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MethodManFTW
This is all your fault hiphopbeats. :P
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Wipeout HD is digital only?

Dark_Metamorphosis
I don't think it was released in the U.S. as a hard copy, however I do own a hard copy myself :)
Orpheus_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Orpheus_Evo

This is all your fault hiphopbeats. :PMethodManFTW

Yep... His Orange Comic Sans is like a VIRUS... slowly spreading across our posts... until our brains EXPLODE in a Big Bang of orange goo! :shock:

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReviewerDrake

Lol even the Previous/Next was affected.