Disk Capacity.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JahRoc876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JahRoc876
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

i thought this discussion needed its own thread from http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25551450&page=13 , where a lot of people were talking about disk capacity. Anyways,

.... ok guys i have come to the conclusion that blu-ray IS necessary. For simple facts, comparing MS and Sony.

MS- only looked in the present when they built the 360, they said DVD9 is in now and we can use advanced compression to get the most out of the space.

Sony- looked towards the future when building the PS3, they said, we are already using advanced compression with DVD9, so what happens in 2 years when we (consumers) are going to be demanding more out of our video games....

I mean, I can't lie, the 360 has it's fair share of killer apps and is doing good. But can you 360 owners really see it still being around in 2010, I don't even know if it's going to make it to 2009 without a flury of news about a new console in the making... and that's about 4 yrs and 2 months since it was launched.

I honestly see the PS3 around for awhile, because it is futureproof. 2010 I still see the PS3 going strong, maybe in the last cycle of it's life before a PS4 but it will last longer than the 360 for sure...

Another thing, for all the people out their that think Blu-ray is going to fail has another thing coming for them. For starters, when I heard Sony was releasing it, I knew it was going to win because nearly 94% of ALL media (maj. TV) in the U.S. is controlled by 4 super companies, and one of those super companies happen to be SONY...  and MS is not even close to being one of the other super companies. So tell me how could they lose? And don't bring up the Beta Max format thing because Sony wasn't in power in the U.S. as today.

Bottom line is, DVD9 is fine now but for how long? The end of the year? Less? Developers are being more creative and are having new ideas by the minute, with DVD9 they have to sacrifice some stuff and not give you the full experience of how they wanted the players to play it. And then are you 360 guys willing to buy a new console after not even 5 yrs of having your 360... The funny thing is that when MS sees that DVD9 is dead in the water, which format are they going to be putting into their new system? Be stubborn and put a HD-DVD, even though we might not hear from them after 2008 or admit they were wrong and put blu-ray in..... sorry for the long post.

Trigun1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trigun1
Member since 2003 • 793 Posts
The problem is the read speeds from the Blu ray drive that is on the Ps3 is slower then the DVD drive on the 360. However newer blu ray drives are cable of much higher read speeds then DVD. "Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second." So what does this mean? That Sony rushed blu ray into the Ps3. If they had waited then Blu ray for the ps3 would not only be superior as far as space goes and load times be virtually gone. So will sony screw over current owners and build new ps3s with faster dives or will developers just have to deal withs this fault? Heres the site I found this info on. http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/17/6658
freediro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freediro
Member since 2006 • 3782 Posts
load times? yeah then PS3 developers will have the capacity to load it once and never load anyhting extra, and so you saying you will give up a game being 2 or 3 times longer so you don't have to wait an extra 15-30 seconds. lets be serious about this! the little extra load time is not a big deal and people have more problems on their hands if they cant wait a couple extra seconds.
hellscovern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hellscovern
Member since 2003 • 2872 Posts

The problem is the read speeds from the Blu ray drive that is on the Ps3 is slower then the DVD drive on the 360. However newer blu ray drives are cable of much higher read speeds then DVD. "Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second." So what does this mean? That Sony rushed blu ray into the Ps3. If they had waited then Blu ray for the ps3 would not only be superior as far as space goes and load times be virtually gone. So will sony screw over current owners and build new ps3s with faster dives or will developers just have to deal withs this fault? Heres the site I found this info on. http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/17/6658Trigun1

What you fail to realise is blu-ray has a constant read/write/stream rate ie the speed doesn't drop it stays at it's maximum where as dvd varies depending on where abouts on the disc it's getting it's info from so while dvd maybe a little faster it doesn't use the speed constantly so the blu-ray drive would be able to do a whole disc faster then the DVD drive would.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

DVD is fine check the link

http://gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

I'm trying to educate people here stop with the whole I have more room than you argument

JahRoc876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JahRoc876
bump.....
emeritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emeritus
Member since 2003 • 859 Posts

Load times do not bother me, having spent years playing games on my ancient Commadore 16 it took 5-20 mins to load from TAPES for crying out loud, now that is a load time you complain about, its even worse if it crashes half way though.. bombs anyone?

You kids dont know how lucky you are :lol: 

jmper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jmper4
Member since 2004 • 957 Posts

Load times do not bother me, having spent years playing games on my ancient Commadore 16 it took 5-20 mins to load from TAPES for crying out loud, now that is a load time you complain about, its even worse if it crashes half way though.. bombs anyone?

You kids dont know how lucky you are :lol: 

emeritus

Well that was a step above my first computer...the VIC 20.

JahRoc876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JahRoc876
lol
swordfish_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 swordfish_64
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts

mine is WAAAAAY bigger than yours !

seriously, blu-ray reads the entire disk at 8 times. DVD varies read speed depending where the information on the disc is located. In the end, the constant data read rate of blu-ray negates ANY advantage of a 12X DVD drive. Thanks for coming out though!Â