Difference between planned 80Gb model, and the current 60Gb?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Seedhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Seedhouse
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, i'm going to be probably purchasing a PS3 this week- probably a 60Gb with 2 games and 2 Blu Ray DVD's. I've been scooting around the internet though about the new 80Gb model coming out, and didn't know whether anyone could tell me whether there was any severe difference (apart from the extra 20Gb!) between the 60Gb model that's apparently being discontinued? Basically, should I wait? :(
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Hey guys, i'm going to be probably purchasing a PS3 this week- probably a 60Gb with 2 games and 2 Blu Ray DVD's. I've been scooting around the internet though about the new 80Gb model coming out, and didn't know whether anyone could tell me whether there was any severe difference (apart from the extra 20Gb!) between the 60Gb model that's apparently being discontinued? Basically, should I wait? :(Seedhouse
Get 60 gig for max backwards compatability. 80 has motorstorm packaged in with it with the 20 more gigs but less backwards compatability.
S1NNER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 S1NNER
Member since 2006 • 96 Posts
The 60GB is the true PS3 from the original concept using the emotion chip. Essentially it is a PS2 and PS3 design amalgm. The 80gb is usingPAL software to emulate for backward compatability...so less library to chose from and more updates on the 80GB and new smaller models which are cheaper leaner units. Its up to you what is important.
The difference is that the 60GB we (Europe, which is the blueprint for the new NA 80GB PS3) have now has about 88 percent backwards compatibility. The 60GB they (current North American model with Emotion Engine) had had 100 per cent backwards compatibility. They felt that by going down from 100 to 88, for example, that they'd have to add something in - and that's what they did.-Sony Computer Entertainment president David Reeves 
Seedhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Seedhouse
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Cheers guys, i'll plough straight ahead and buy the 60Gb model then? :D

Question is... do I get Motorstorm and Resistance... or Heavenly Sword and Resistance? Any suggestions? :)

helysandoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 helysandoval
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

MOTOR STORM IS A KICKASS GAME AND FIFA YOU SHOULD BUY OR WAIT TIL HAZE IS OUT

helysandoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 helysandoval
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

MOTOR STORM IS A KICKASS GAME AND FIFA YOU SHOULD BUY OR WAIT TIL HAZE IS OUT

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Cheers guys, i'll plough straight ahead and buy the 60Gb model then? :D

Question is... do I get Motorstorm and Resistance... or Heavenly Sword and Resistance? Any suggestions? :)

Seedhouse

Go with Heavenly Sword (we want a sequel) and Motorstorm (if you enjoy online gaming). Then when you're done with HS trade it in and get Resistance when it becomes a greatest hits title (should come soon).

UTXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 UTXII
Member since 2007 • 3448 Posts

The backwards compatibility is much, much better.

Though, if you do want MotorStorm, it's a good way to save some cash. Though 20GB isn't much of a difference.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Doesn't have the EE