Did you get your First-Edition bundle? What do you think?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crackdown57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Crackdown57
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

Congrats on powering through what felt like the longest wait ever. Now that you've played around w/ your Vita for a bit, what are your impressions of the system?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I just hooked mine into the charger. I want to charge it up all the way before I really spend time with it.
Crackdown57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crackdown57

That's def the right way to go. Be sure to jump back on and give your 2¢ when you've spent a sufficient amount of time playing around with it

Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts
Just got out of school and am on my way to pick it up. I will report my first impressions later
Crackdown57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crackdown57

Awesome. Looking forward to it

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I look forward to hearing people's impressions too, I still have a week to wait :(

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I look forward to hearing people's impressions too, I still have a week to wait :(

_Matt_
Your not alone :(
KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
Gonna pick mine up after work. Can't wait!
DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 DarxPhil
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

I love it, Rayman Origins looks amazing on the OLED screen the colors really pop. I dislike how you can only use touch controls for the menu system, as while the menu system fits very well with touch, i don't want my fingers prints all over the screen and i hope they update it so you can use the D-pad or analog stick to go through the menu. Though i have a screen protector on the way so when that arrives it won't matter much to me anymore.

The system is light and solid overall. Though if you don't have much to any fingernails you might have some trouble opening the cartrage port up.

So far it's a really fun system.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 inggrish

I love it, Rayman Origins looks amazing on the OLED screen the colors really pop. I dislike how you can only use touch controls for the menu system, as while the menu system fits very well with touch, i don't want my fingers prints all over the screen and i hope they update it so you can use the D-pad or analog stick to go through the menu. Though i have a screen protector on the way so when that arrives it won't matter much to me anymore.

The system is light and solid overall. Though if you don't have much to any fingernails you might have some trouble opening the cartrage port up.

So far it's a really fun system.

DarxPhil

Nice, I'm getting Rayman with my system too :)

Crackdown57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Crackdown57

Nice, I'm getting Rayman with my system too :)

_Matt_

I've been hearing alot about Rayman Origins. Everyone says it really shows off the superior screen and graphic power of the Vita

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

I picked mine up this morning after spending 30 minutes at Best Buy explaining to them what a PS Vita was and trying to convince them that the First Edition bundle comes out a week early. It really is pathetic that I know more about everything in the store than all of the employees combined and I don't even work there. Im really loving the system so far. I'm not big on the Uncharted demo I played, and I drove to Gamestop and sold my Little Deviants before ever touching it (I played it at another Best Buy and I wasn't a fan). I also sold my 4GB stick and picked up a 32GB stick for myself and a 16GB stick for my girlfriend, whose Vita I also picked up at Best Buy. "Two Vitas, sir?" Yes. Two Vitas". I have been playing Super Stardust Delta and Daxter for the past few hours. My Class which was scheduled for this afternoon got miraculously cancelled so I have just been sitting around messing with the Vita. NEAR seems really cool, I sent friend requests to a few people in my area with it, and I'm about to boot up the Rayman Origins demo.

Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts
After spending some time with it, it is mostly glorious with some moderate to minor quibbles. The analog sticks are not as precise or comfortable as the 3DS's circle pad and multi-tasking while playing games is far too slow. I've got 11 games and have played 2 of them so far
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
After spending some time with it, it is mostly glorious with some moderate to minor quibbles. The analog sticks are not as precise or comfortable as the 3DS's circle pad and multi-tasking while playing games is far too slow. I've got 11 games and have played 2 of them so farSkinnyJeans1995
That's concerning. I don't find the 3ds very comfortable for any long length of gaming. The demo unit felt awesome.
BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

Nope I did not get it today. The $299 launch bundle is a better value for me and I don't mind waiting until next wednesday.

Hopewellone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hopewellone
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
I picked mine up today and here are my initial impressions: 5 minutes in I wanted to throw it against a wall. The AT&T setup took forever, the touch screen wouldn't read my input, it kept resetting. I couldn't tell which plan was the free 30 days one. Nothing intuitive about it so I tried to skip it. Kept going back and forth unable to get past set up. They wanted me to sign in with my playstation account but I couldn't do that because it needed a system update, but I couldn't get out of setup to GET TO the system update. Very frustrating. Eventually I set up a temporary id and then logged in. Sigh. Then I booted up Little Deviants. Wanted to play some minigames I tried at the Sony store. But you gotta play through storymode to unlock those. After a few minutes of spinning around with the AR shooting game, I gave up on it and tried hooking into NEAR. There's several people near me with a VIta but not sure yet how to connect with them. So I'm currently downloading 3 of the demos available and tonight I'll boot up Uncharted. Later I hope to buy Lumines and possibly MvC3. Definitely excited for Gravity Rush and Street Fighter X Tekken. Hopefully with some more time, I'll figure out how to navigate the Vita better. But for me, it's been unintuitive so far. And I was at the Sony Store in Vegas this weekend. Man are those kids dull. I had my Vita games and my memory card already picked up from Gamestop. Gamestop had all the accessories for sale last week so I figure the Sony Store would have a few out. The guy laughed at me and said "The games and accessories aren't out because the system doesn't come out till the 22nd bro!" God I hate when I know more and they act like I'm an idiot.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

My impressions:

System: Vast improvement over the original, but the analog sticks are pretty small. Personally I find it rather annoying that many hyped it for dual analogs only to find that they are smaller than what images display. Not gonna lie: Not going to play FPSes on this thing. Though for the PSP games it can play, it is full screen resolution and it is pretty cool that the machine makes the games load pretty fast.

Features: Similar to the Gamespot UK guy's complaint, I hate having to turn the power on for 5+ seconds just to see the machine turn on. I also hate having to confirm what I wanted to open. UI can take some getting used to, but it's very responsive.

Have yet to play vita games, but sold my deviants because seriously that was a bad game to include.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JustPlainLucas
After spending some time with it, it is mostly glorious with some moderate to minor quibbles. The analog sticks are not as precise or comfortable as the 3DS's circle pad and multi-tasking while playing games is far too slow. I've got 11 games and have played 2 of them so farSkinnyJeans1995
I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I was wondering why it was harder to shoot enemies in Uncharted on the Vita than on the PS3. Regardless, I got used to it. I love the system so far, and oh my god, the OLED screen is just ... it doesn't make me want to play my 3DS anymore.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JustPlainLucas

Have yet to play vita games, but sold my deviants because seriously that was a bad game to include.

Zanoh
Where'd you sell it? It's got a not for resale notice on the UPC.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zanoh

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

JustPlainLucas

Craigslist. :)

Bajacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bajacks
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I got mine at midnight on tuesday. I am really liking it so far. I got Uncharted and Wipeout along with the included Little Deviants. I find that i am getting used to all of the different layouts of the menus and such. Some people are complaining about the menus and interface of the system. No problems here, i can get used to that stuff. The system itself is built really well and the layout and buttons are really nice. Someone said that they liked the circle pad from the 3ds better than the sticks on the Vita? LOL That is not true at least from what I have played. I own a 3ds and like it too, but do not like the stick compared to the sticks on the vita. Yes they are a little on the small side, but you will get used to them in NO TIME. They feel very responsive and smooth. There is not a lot of demos, or games on the store at the moment, but hey its not even official launch yet. Apps such as facebook, skype, twitter, and such that they said would be released around launch are not up yet, but I can wait for apps. As far as the 3g setup goes, ya its a pain, but you dont need to do it! I just wanted to have the 3g option. I dont want it activated yet so just canceled it. I did notice that super stardust delta has an error with installing though. Even after I bought the bundle for 15 dollars it downloads then says install failed. Downloading it again still doesnt work, but hey Ill give sony a few days to fix that. I got other good games to play. Uncharted so far is uncharted, similar to number 1 as in its not as action oriented, but still good. Wipeout is wipeout, great as always. Little deviants is not very good, but hey, I will try all the mini games at least once, cause the game is like a tech demo of what the system can do. That is my two cents on the vita so far. Pretty impressed by what it is already. If someone would like to know more about the system before the 22nd release, you can try asking here... or on PSN if you got PS3 (ID is Bri294) And of course you can go to gamestop as well and try one out yourself too
Bajacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bajacks
sorry about the paragraph, its kinda hard to read
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

JustPlainLucas

You can still trade/resell most games like that, it basically means stores can't take apart the bundles and sell it separately..
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zanoh

Someone said that they liked the circle pad from the 3ds better than the sticks on the Vita? LOL That is not true at least from what I have played. I own a 3ds and like it too, but do not like the stick compared to the sticks on the vita. Yes they are a little on the small side, but you will get used to them in NO TIME.Bajacks

*raises hand* I would be that person. Personally I prefer the 3DS's slide pad because it is bigger, ergonomic for my hands and thumbs, and nice on feeback. The PSV is vritually the same, but not as ergonomic and not on the same size. I have gotten used to it, only because I have played the PSP nub alot, but it still is a nit pick about the system I do not like.

Bajacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bajacks
Everyone has different opionions on everything. I am not making fun of the 3ds at all. I am just trying to state that while they may feel small at the beginning when you first try them, they become more and more comfortable as you use them, just like when i used the circle pad on the 3ds. The Vita's sticks are just my preference. That is all. Both handhelds work pretty well. Though the hardware of the vita is definitely better than the 3ds. Both systems have their share of good games, and I hope that both do well in the future.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I got mine yesterday and have already messaged people, played Escape plan and Lumines, transfered 9gbs of music to the system, and collected a dozen trophies. Overall Its quality shines through all the minor negatives. For instance the UI is responsive and fun yet having to confirm opening every app (EVEN SETTINGS really?) is tiresome, but its only 1 more second. Being able to quickly change apps is great, however you can only have one game open at a time.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inggrish

I got mine yesterday and have already messaged people, played Escape plan and Lumines, transfered 9gbs of music to the system, and collected a dozen trophies. Overall Its quality shines through all the minor negatives. For instance the UI is responsive and fun yet having to confirm opening every app (EVEN SETTINGS really?) is tiresome, but its only 1 more second. Being able to quickly change apps is great, however you can only have one game open at a time.

damann22

Question, what do you think of Escape Plan?

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

[QUOTE="damann22"]

_Matt_

I played it only for 10minutes, mostly of trying to kill them. But for its price its worth it. I like puzzle games that I can just pick up and go right back into it. So if you like puzzle games also then its a must buy

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="damann22"]

damann22

I played it only for 10minutes, mostly of trying to kill them. But for its price its worth it. I like puzzle games that I can just pick up and go right back into it. So if you like puzzle games also then its a must buy

Ok, could you post more impressions as you play more please? Sorry to ask, but there is so little info everywehere for it at the moment, and to me it looks one of the more interesting games

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zanoh

Everyone has different opionions on everything. I am not making fun of the 3ds at all. I am just trying to state that while they may feel small at the beginning when you first try them, they become more and more comfortable as you use them, just like when i used the circle pad on the 3ds. The Vita's sticks are just my preference. That is all. Both handhelds work pretty well. Though the hardware of the vita is definitely better than the 3ds. Both systems have their share of good games, and I hope that both do well in the future.Bajacks

I don't mind differing opinions, that's what makes a community really. Despite the nitpick, the PSV improves upon the PSP and I can see myself playing it more than I did the PSP in future. Probably not as much as my 3DS, but mostly so for dedicated games. Disgaea 3 PSV is one of those games, and possibly Doctor Who. ^^

-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Can anyone tell me if you can play the Vita right away after you unbox it, or do you have to charge it up first?

DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarxPhil

Can anyone tell me if you can play the Vita right away after you unbox it, or do you have to charge it up first?

-Patrick_92-

It's charged up already when you unbox it, so yes you can play right away.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
One question, can you use the second analog stick to aim in shooting games for the psp?
XM_JDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XM_JDM
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I did not preorder actually but scored one on the 15th. I was in Gamestop trading in some games. The guy in front of me was telling the cashier that his son was punished for i-dont-know-what and that he would not be getting his preordered Vita. As he left I asked the cashier if that meant I could buy the unclaimed Vita and he said yes. Walked out a happy dude. I actually like the case that is included. It is durable and protects the Vita well. I have a lot of stuff in my 5.11 bag. My MBP, iPad, Jambox and chargers for all them. I like that I can toss my Vita with the rest of my gadgets and not be concerned with damage. I am having a blast with the Vita. I remember being really underwhelmed with the original PSP. Not the case this time around.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Compared to the PSP's slide nub, does the analog sticks get your thumbs tired? I absolutely hated using the slide pad on the PSP because there is always resistance when I move it and it gets my thumb tired from playing games that require using it for a long time.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have really enjoyed my PSvita. The first edition bundle was worth it. I bought Uncharted Golden abyss, Dungeon hunter alliance and Lumines Electronic Symphony.

As a portable gaming system the PSvita is a huge step up from the PSP series. The 2 analog sticks really help. and are quite good. The revision of the D-pad is great. Sony has finally updated their D-pad which has been the same since 1994. PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP have used the same style. This new revision should be great for fighting games, old school shoot them ups etc.

I'm pleased that the controls are great, The touch screen and touch panel on the back of PSvita are easily to adapt to and work quite well. The game Little Devients is a good choice for a pack in to get you used to the newer controls, touch panel and touch screen, motion sixaxis tilt etc. Every if it is not the best game it showcases the controls/feautres of the PSP well.

The PSvita Unit is quite well designed for longish gaming sessions. I have been playing Uncharted Golden abyss and Lumines S.E most often.

I would have like it if Sony kept the cross media bar, The new interface is fine. I just prefer the cross media bar.

The first edition bundle was worth it. The only thing I have yet to use is those AR cards included with the system.

The PSvita is awesome. glad I got it.

moomoo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moomoo47
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

Ok. I've spent some quality time with the Vita. Here are my thoughts, impressions and whatnot:

Proof of purchase:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8524/sd536433.jpg

- It exceeds my expectations. This is the best portable console to date. The analog sticks seem a little small. Almost like if you were going to put your finger on the tip of a ball point pen. But they feel really comfortable. Nice and rubbery, and soft surface once you place your thumbs on the tips. In my opinion, the most impressive part of the whole system is the social features (not talking about near). I tried using the Voice/cross chat feature with 2 other people and it was pretty cool. I can see it being very beneficial for fps games and probabl monster hunters in the future. The friends layout is pretty nice. But I wish there was more customizable Avatars and skins. People WILL get sick of seeing the same ones over and over again.

The UI is decent. But it doesn't look as slick and professional like the PS3/psp one. (just my opinion) It looks a little childish and rudimentary. I don't really know who Sony is trying target solely judging on UI appearance. But certainly there will be more adults owning this unit compared kids considering the price. I really don't mind the music in the background. It sort of brings life to the system. The volume can go pretty loud so thats a plus. But the screen isn't as good people hype it to be. When turning on the Vita for the first time, the screen isn't on full brightness. So you have to turn it up. Its funny though, because when you turn up the brightness on its highest, it seems like the text and icons have a higher contrast then the background skins itself. However, brightness wise If you've seen a Zune HD in person, the brightness outshines the Vita by a landslide. In all honesty, if there was ever a point I felt bored with my Vita, the social features should suffice. The trophies are also pretty cool and a plus. So If I feel bored I also tend to go trophy hunting at times Current demos I have:

Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Dynasty Warriors, and Ragnarok Oddysey (yes, there is now a way to play those Hongkong/JPN demos on a NA psn account with same memory card). Proof:

http://i.imgur.com/u82nb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/807Jl.jpg

Game: Little Deviants. I was a little skeptical about this game at first, and quite frankly its not as bad IGN sees it. I would give it a 7.5/10

Some levels seem a little repetetive and washed out because in different regions (levels) Its the same concept over and over again, but only to find yourself playing the same exact lvl with different icons and landscapes. The best feature about this game is the leaderboards. (yes they have leaderboards). Neat thing is there is a filter that allows you to compare your scores only to friends, then to people using "near" and finally, globally. (which is awesome). So yea, you can see how good you are globally.

Do I have any gripes?

The system is good and better then the 3DS in my opinion. My only complaint is, there is no good games out, nothing new we haven't seen before. I mean yes, the launch lineup is awesome. But I already know what Uncharted is, I know what UMVC3 is, I know what Ninja Gaiden is. And because of this, I can't see the myself sticking to the Vita like puddy. glue. And its interesting because on my Vita It shows some of my friends status shows playing PS3 games. So I would assume they probably got bored with it already. I give the system 8/10 because I don't feel addicted to it as playing on a home console. But I can tell a lot how much Sony worked on it. Games I hopefully plan on picking up:

Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush, (possibly Unit 13).

But yea, these are my thoughts, opinions.

DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarxPhil

One question, can you use the second analog stick to aim in shooting games for the psp?Nick3306

Only certain PSP games will be reworked to use the second analog stick on the Vita from what ive read.

moomoo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 moomoo47
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

And btw, sorry about all the grammar errors, etc. I was in a rush and it was a simple give and go.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zanoh

One question, can you use the second analog stick to aim in shooting games for the psp?Nick3306

No. Not at this moment I'm afraid.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="Nick3306"]One question, can you use the second analog stick to aim in shooting games for the psp?Zanoh

My brother told me that he heard you can because there's supposedly a way to re-map controls (like the face buttons) to the right analog stick. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but again, it's just what he told me.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zanoh

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="Nick3306"]One question, can you use the second analog stick to aim in shooting games for the psp?THA-TODD-BEAST

My brother told me that he heard you can because there's supposedly a way to re-map controls (like the face buttons) to the right analog stick. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but again, it's just what he told me.

I own a vita and do not see any of those option 0.0

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#43 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

Zanoh

I own a vita and do not see any of those option 0.0

You can, i've seen it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdlCLi2o64

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zanoh

thanks ^^

Bajacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bajacks

I seen that you can assign the right stick to games, that is awesome. Peace walker becomes even better. and of course other games that used the buttons for the camera

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zanoh

I seen that you can assign the right stick to games, that is awesome. Peace walker becomes even better. and of course other games that used the buttons for the camera

Bajacks

Like Monster Hunter. No more finger hooking for me :P