Did the PS1 play a significant role in your childhood?

• 102 results
#1 Posted by BronzeHeart92 (92 posts) -

Let's just say it was awesome to play the Crash and Spyro trilogies back in the day. Oh and FFVIII and Metal Gear Solid too. Good times...

#2 Posted by Coolyfett (5866 posts) -

The PS1 came out during Coolyfett's high school years 94-98. Coolyfett was not playing games during that time.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#3 Edited by YammiReckorrdSan (507 posts) -

No. my friends had PS1 back in the day. When I bought my first console, the PS2 was already in the market, so I got PS2 instead. I have only two PS1 games. Both of them are pretty bad.

When I got my PS2 I was at forth grade. meaning age 9-10. Even then I didn't play it that much. Althought I really enjoyed Yugioh Duelist of the Roses. It was such a fun game (today I undrestand it is very flawed game).

#4 Posted by judaspete (2629 posts) -

Yes, definitely. PS1 was were my friends and I really got into gaming together. Buddy of mine got a one at launch and we all played Twisted Metal for hours. I knew then I needed this thing in my life.

#5 Edited by omegaMaster (1019 posts) -

Hell yeah! Brought many memories like Tekken 3, Final Fantasy 8, Formula 1 and Dead or Alive. Played and owned many demo games such as Sled Storm, Tombi, and Metal Gear Solid from Playstation magazine. Though I was never fortunate to own many PS1 games in my childhood.

#6 Edited by xantufrog (10033 posts) -

Honestly, not really. I was almost solely a pc gamer at that time, with a strong liking for the genesis and its back catalog. I played ps1 at friends' houses, but the ps2 was what really got me into the ps brand

#7 Posted by Chris_53 (5498 posts) -

Yes, the PS1 era was really when I got into gaming, I was around 10-12 when I had a PS1 and playing the original Tomb Raiders, Resident Evil 2 (yes I may have been too young), Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo are fond memories I'll always have.

#8 Posted by thehig1 (7003 posts) -

Hell yeah it did, although had a Saturn for a large part of generation which sucked because no body else I knew had one and there wasn't many games.coming out for it.

Got a ps1 around 1997 my first game for it was riiiiiiiiiiiiiidggggggge raaaaaacer!!!!!

#9 Posted by GTR12 (13254 posts) -

PS1, no

PSOne, hell yes, the best console ever released, with the best game ever, CTR. A few friends and I loved playing, mainly battles, I even had a multi-tap (does anyone remember those?), so 4 of us playing against each-other. We took turns, as there was 6 of us, but the best experience ever.

I really want a remake of it for PS4, day 1 buy.

#10 Posted by barny0111 (233 posts) -

@thehig1:

@thehig1 said:

Hell yeah it did, although had a Saturn for a large part of generation which sucked because no body else I knew had one and there wasn't many games.coming out for it.

Got a ps1 around 1997 my first game for it was riiiiiiiiiiiiiidggggggge raaaaaacer!!!!!

Yep, same here. Master System > MegaDrive (Genisis) > Saturn. Loved Sega Rally and Daytona.

RIP SEGA consoles.

After that I went with N64 instead Sony. PS2 was my first entry into Sony.

#11 Posted by LoudonWIII (34 posts) -

Not really, no. I never owned a PS1, but I had a good number of PS1 games that I played on my PS2. My childhood was mostly shaped by NES/SNES/N64, and then I got a PS2 when I was around 10.

#12 Posted by thehig1 (7003 posts) -

@barny0111: as I was still a kid, I didn't have a choice and had to go with what my parents bought me.

I got a Saturn on the December in the year it launched because my parents wanted to get me a games console, but I hadn't really said what I wanted.

It didn't take long before the games on the Saturn were non existent in old video stores the section for Saturn games for smaller and smaller to make way for n64 and ps1 displays

#13 Posted by Clefdefa (644 posts) -

Well I was a teen at that time. So it was perfect for me, I grew with the NES and SNES and now as a teen I had more violent game like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve or RPG like FFVII it was perfect.

The N64 was too kiddy for a teen with high hormones.

#14 Posted by raugutcon (5460 posts) -

“Did the PS1 play a significant role in your ”

NOPE !

Pong did, at the time it was released I was 8 years old, by the time PS1 was released I was struggling to establish my business.

#15 Posted by soul_starter (1376 posts) -

I initially thought "hell yeah it did" but then I wondered what childhood means....before secondary/high school and my teenage years? Because I got a PS1 in the late 90s, around 99 I think it was. Before that, I'd played games on PC and older consoles but gaming wasnt that big for me.

It wasnt until a handful of years later and the arrival of the PS2 that I really got invested into gaming and honestly, that was gaming's peak from a creative and gameplay standpoint. But would my early teen years count as a childhood? I dunno.

I will add the classics on the PS1 were amazing and pushed what gaming had done for 15+ years before, from MGS to Crash and Tekken.

#17 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2411 posts) -

PS1 changed my life, no joke. Before that it was like... SNES with the super mario... wasnt much of a fan of gaming. But then the PS1 was like holy damn. Even though the 3D graphics were not good it was crazy to play Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid. Everything back then was cool, from Final Fantasy VII to Crash. Its a shame the hardware was so weak because back then there was so much more imagination. Games weren't noob friendly like now or full of DLC/microtransaction milk, or forced diversity lol. Better era no question, even with the hardware limitations.

#18 Edited by Khazrak134 (143 posts) -

yep! it was my first console.

#19 Posted by SOedipus (11183 posts) -

Yes! I remember playing the hell out of MGS, Spyro and Tekken series. Me and my friends would take turns in MGS and switch after boss fights. Good times.

#20 Posted by blamix (712 posts) -

Played FF8 like 10x since its release

#22 Posted by Glitch- (287 posts) -

Yes, had so much fun times with that system.

#23 Edited by SoNin360 (6936 posts) -

I know we had one but I don't remember playing much on it maybe aside from a Nascar game and a collection of retro games that had Galaga on it. So no, not really. The PS2 played a bigger role in my early gaming life, even if I only played a few games on it. I was more into Nintendo until I got a PS3.

#24 Posted by Dax-360 (6001 posts) -

The PSOne was the first console I actually owned. Every other game I had played was either at a cousin or a friends place. I played it religiously for years and still have it tucked away somewhere.

#25 Posted by Coolyfett (5866 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@barny0111: as I was still a kid, I didn't have a choice and had to go with what my parents bought me.

I got a Saturn on the December in the year it launched because my parents wanted to get me a games console, but I hadn't really said what I wanted.

It didn't take long before the games on the Saturn were non existent in old video stores the section for Saturn games for smaller and smaller to make way for n64 and ps1 displays

Been gaming since the NES days. this is exactly why Coolyfett is never a first adapter for any console that comes out. The Console has to be out for at least 3 years with many console's sold and many games available when Coolyfett actually gets one. Got the PSP in 2007, Got the PS3 in 2014 still dont have the PS4 yet, but most likely will.

#26 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1956 posts) -

Hell yea! Sega Genesis and Virtual Boy were my first consoles but everything changed once I got a PS1. My first games were Space Jam and Norse by Norsewest, a game about farting Vikings. Once I started buying(or at least picking) my own games I picked up Brave Fencer Musashi, Crash Bandicoot, The Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and FFVII. Also them living room Tekken 3 sessions used to be epic af lol

#27 Posted by Jondii (5 posts) -

PS1 was my first console! I loved Spyro and Crash. And tomb rider as well

#28 Edited by Eduspcloud (175 posts) -

The PS1 was the console who introduce me to RPG genre at FFVIII release back in 1999. So many good memories, good games, though SNES was my first console i only played most of my favorite SNES games years later, because i was playing more PS1 games at the time [p.s.: some dreamcast ones too, how i miss SegaNet in PSO and Unreal Tournament aaaaa *crying hahaha]

#29 Edited by ArchoNils2 (10220 posts) -

I didn't have much of a choice when it comes to the consoles I got. I started with a Master System and went to Genesis and then to the Ps1. My parents have chosen the Ps1 mainly because it was the most popular around my area and there were many people I could borrow games from. I did play a lot of great games on it and enjoyed a lot of time on it. And thanks to everyone else also having the system, it was fun talking about ideas on how to beat the weapons in FF7 or to visit a friend because he was stuck on getting a gem in Crash 1 or to just have some rounds of Worms against each other. But I guess those social parts were more important than the games themselves. Not sure I'd call the gaming system itself significant for my life, but combined with the social contacts around it, probably yes.

#30 Posted by benleslie5 (8739 posts) -

It did for me with a few classic like Final Fantasy IX, Crash Team Racing and Hogs of War

#31 Posted by HighPryority (6 posts) -

The PlayStation was the first console I ever used and it practically started my unhealthy obsession with gaming so it defiantly played a huge part!

#32 Posted by Sireanita77 (5 posts) -

There were no game consoles when I was young LOL

#33 Posted by SaltSlasher (511 posts) -

NES-SNES were great times, but straight up PS1 changed everything. I'd be one of those nuts for 16bit era, but I'm not, cause I loved the PS1 more than anything, and love the PS2.

There's a reason I don't own anything from NES-GC, yet still own original PS1 discs.

#34 Posted by soul_starter (1376 posts) -

Hell to the yeah!

I got a copy of Time Crisis and a demo disc with my console (which is how I first got a taste of MGS). Tekken 3, Fifa 99, GT and so many other games.

The PS1 and PS2 define so much of what I enjoyed as a kid and a teen.

#36 Posted by gamingwithrey (19 posts) -

PS1 was cool I remember playing Gran Turismo, but my favorite game was Soviet Strike.

Avatar image for conallskywalker
#37 Posted by ConallSkywalker (26 posts) -

I'm really hoping we will see a Spyro remastered edition release this year. I'd enjoy being that purple dragon that had such a big role in my childhood again.

#38 Posted by ANWBIS (7 posts) -

The PS1 set me down the long twisty road of gran turismo and i have never looked back.

#40 Posted by Captain787 (4 posts) -

Yes and now PSN has ruined all that with their crap service which I have to pay for, modern day corporate robbers I have no respect for PlayStation anymore

#41 Edited by Glitch- (287 posts) -

Yes, had so much fun playing games on it back in the day.

#42 Posted by Dans74777 (10 posts) -

My first system was a ps1, so many good memories

Avatar image for captaiiinswavey
#43 Posted by Captaiiinswavey (6 posts) -

skipped it for the ps2, but i wish i was born a few years earlier to get its full effect being the first huge CD console and stuff.

#44 Posted by SplitTopGaming (6 posts) -

Hell yea! Madden 99 and WWE took up a lot of my summer days #nostalgia

#45 Posted by Izak80 (357 posts) -

@bronzeheart92: It did not, NES and Commodore 64 during the 80s did though...i feel really old when browsing this thread :(

#46 Posted by kriggy (1154 posts) -

Yes pretty much so, All my friends owned a PS1 where's I owned a Nintendo 64 with pretty much every major game there was.
When I was at my friends house we usually played RPGs like Final Fantasy because N64 had no good RPGs save Castlevania which is RPG-ish. When the PS2 released I saved up for a PS2 on my own (I was 11 years old) and started playing the same PS1-games that I played with friends, but this time on my own because I wanted to experience the entire stories. After all I didn't live at my friends houses.

#47 Posted by shinichi999 (6 posts) -

No question about that. The PS1 will be the best console forever!

#48 Posted by gamer29907 (5 posts) -

@bronzeheart92: @bronzeheart92: GANG GANG

#49 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40210 posts) -

The Atari 2600, Intellivision and Vectrex played a big part of my childhood. The PS1 was more of a mid-20's thing for me.

#50 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (2803 posts) -

What about the Saturn? Did not one single person find it significant in their childhood?? *crickets*

[echo] Helloooooo, anyone? [/echo]

@Johnny_Rock said:

The Atari 2600, Intellivision and Vectrex played a big part of my childhood. The PS1 was more of a mid-20's thing for me.

Now see I found most of Atari 2600 games to be either really bland or really confusing. Like Riddle of Sphinx...I was lost, I had no clue wtf those symbols meant as some took health away, which made you walk stupidly slow, or gave health as I went up and down this very short map. It almost appeared like an RPG but didn't seem to have any point and judging what was what with those graphics wasn't the best.

Then there was Fireman. Yup, my firetruck pulled up to a building, I hosed it.../end. Wow that game was so bland. There were way too many like that. Double Dragon on the 2600? Lol. Now I did enjoy a few like Demon Attack and Missle Command but overall I didn't find the system significant to me at all.

However I did have one of those Coleco mini-arcade's. It took 6 C batteries but oh man those were awesome.