Dead Island GOTY Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

With all the hype surrounding games like DayZ, I have been jonesing for an open world survival game. Dead Island and Dead Rising seem to be the only candidates on the system, and between the two this one seems more about the survival aspect, whereas Dead Rising seems more about comedy. So here is the question: is this game worth picking up at this point? I don't have any friends who play it, so if I want to play coop I would have to rely on the online matchmaking, though more than likely I would end up playing alone. Is this game worth the time and money (about 25 bucks)?

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

It's decent at that price I guess (EDIT- I bought vanilla near launch, but you'll get all the dlc for it I suppose). Borderlands-style missions, looting, and level up system, minus the emphasis on guns.

Once you get a taste of combat in your first 5min or so, thats what you'll experience the whole game. There's not much change to your characters combat capabilities as you progress.

TheFLCLPope88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheFLCLPope88
Member since 2003 • 2172 Posts

I can say the online is still alive but most of the people I tend to run into have a habit of rushing through missions; pretty much ignoring everything just to get to the mission marker. As a solo game it works out but the second area can be tedious without a partner. However the combat makes up for that as It's just so much fun going toe-to-toe with the the undead.

For 25 bucks I say go for it!

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian
actually I realize that Far Cry 3 is also close enough to the survival genre to constitute picking up. It has a nice hunting mechanic/scavenging mechanic, so I think I'll pick that up instead, and wait until another release-drought to pick up Dead Island
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

actually I realize that Far Cry 3 is also close enough to the survival genre to constitute picking up. It has a nice hunting mechanic/scavenging mechanic, so I think I'll pick that up instead, and wait until another release-drought to pick up Dead IslandEssian
Im not going to bash Dead Island, its a good game in its own right, but since you brought up FC3, its a no contest. FC3 wins, buy it.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

With all the hype surrounding games like DayZ, I have been jonesing for an open world survival game. Dead Island and Dead Rising seem to be the only candidates on the system, and between the two this one seems more about the survival aspect, whereas Dead Rising seems more about comedy. So here is the question: is this game worth picking up at this point? I don't have any friends who play it, so if I want to play coop I would have to rely on the online matchmaking, though more than likely I would end up playing alone. Is this game worth the time and money (about 25 bucks)?

Essian

Honestly the game is not that good. I especially hated the fact the enimes level with you.

inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts

I especially hated the fact the enimes level with you.punisher1

It doesn't break the game by any means though, nor does it make you feel like your character isn't getting stronger. If anything, its a good thing because it makes leveling up/maxing out not take as long.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Dead Rising > Dead Island IMO. Once you're accustomed to Dead Island it's a cake-walk and painfully repetitive.

Dead Rising is far more challenging, entertaining and closer to survival horror (and I use the term loosely) than Dead Island ever was. Though if I were going to recommend titles true to the survival horror genre they'd be Siren: Blood Curse and RE: Code Veronica (PSN).

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Essian

Dead Rising > Dead Island IMO. Once you're accustomed to Dead Island it's a cake-walk and painfully repetitive.

Dead Rising is far more challenging, entertaining and closer to survival horror (and I use the term loosely) than Dead Island ever was. Though if I were going to recommend titles true to the survival horror genre they'd be Siren: Blood Curse and RE: Code Veronica (PSN).

volume_three
but I also want a game that is open world, and neither of those games offer that
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
Honestly? None of those games - Dead Rising, Dead Island, or Far Cry 3 - is going to give you an experience similar to something like DayZ. Dead Island and Far Cry 3 come closest to giving you that open world feel, but both are a little too populated to give you that feeling of isolation and desolation. But you can wander freely, exploring the world. Though, to that end, I would say Far Cry 3 is the better game, because you have more freedom in Far Cry 3 than in Dead Island to just wander all over the place, regardless of whether or not you tackle story missions. Plus, there's more random stuff happening in the world of Far Cry 3, with assorted distractions you can indulge in, like hunting and driving the various vehicles. It really depends on what you're wanting from the experience. If you really want to be able to mostly ignore the main story beats and just wander and explore, then Far Cry 3 or something like Skyrim or Fallout 3 is probably closer to a DayZ experience than Dead Island. If you want something that feels more desolate, where it's just you and the environment and the dangers therein, then Dead Island or Skyrim probably fit the bill better. If you want more ancillary activities to indulge in, where you basically just make your own fun with the tools the game has given you, then Far Cry 3 is probably your best bet. And as far as playing Dead Island alone goes, if you're looking for more of a DayZ experience, you're probably better off playing solo anyway, because then you can just wander and explore and take your time without a partner or group wanting to keep pushing on to the next mission.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
You might consider Far Cry 2, it's only $8 and it has plenty of that isolated feeling. In some ways, I like it better than Far Cry 3.
EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

Is this game worth the time and money (about 25 bucks)?

Essian

Yeah, I think so. It's a pretty good fun game. Plus the game of the year edition comes with extra stuff that my regular edition doesn't have which I paid full price for. I kicked myself for not picking it up during Black Friday weekend at BestBuy when this Dead Island GOTY edition was on sale for $7.99.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

How about Fallout 3? It has... Ghouls :?

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1574 Posts
I think Dead Island is alright and rather enjoyable, however it does have its moments which will drive you mad now and again. I do hate some things about Dead Island like the fact enemies level up to your level thus making them harder to kill and when surrounded by a 100 or more zombies and find it impossible to escape due to certain problems, you will most likely scream and lob the controller at the TV. Also repairing weapons will become a serious problem if not very annoying. I like the weapon upgrades, the graphics and when other players jump in so each and everyone of you can help each other out (if they are willing to stick with you that is) I've not played the other game, but its worth having a look on youtube and see what's going to please you more
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
You might consider Far Cry 2, it's only $8 and it has plenty of that isolated feeling. In some ways, I like it better than Far Cry 3.jordonj
Really? In what ways do you find it to be better? I'm just curious because not only me but a lot of other Far Cry fans felt as if playing FC 2 was more of a chore than anything else.
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

[QUOTE="Essian"]

Is this game worth the time and money (about 25 bucks)?

EastMagi

Yeah, I think so. It's a pretty good fun game. Plus the game of the year edition comes with extra stuff that my regular edition doesn't have which I paid full price for. I kicked myself for not picking it up during Black Friday weekend at BestBuy when this Dead Island GOTY edition was on sale for $7.99.

That's what I did, and while I haven't been playing it a whole lot I find it to be really fun.