Dead Island 3/10 - EDGE

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

britishdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 britishdude360
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts

Dead Island, ever since its debut trailer, many of gaming fans were excited for this game, the trailer was very inventive, and had an emotional feel to it, and me i couldnt wait to avenge this little girls murder, check the trailer out for more details.

So after checking out some gameplay trailers and previews, i was impressed enough to make this game a day one purchase for me, Yes i had a look at some reviews too, but after some reviews from this website and IGN previously, ive given up on them and their opinion is usually different to mine.

IGN-8.0/10
GAMESPOT-7.0/10

EDGE- 3/10

Whether you follow reviews or not these two aint a bad guide, which brings me to express my disgust with EDGE, this game is no where near 3/10.
Okay yes this game has occasional glitches/bugs and some auto saves may be out a bit, but seriously this game is good, not great not perfect its good.

Ive played about 4 hours in now, im enjoying the weapons, the atmosphere, the sound and graphics really make this game. in my opinion adds to the tension of damn, this really could be me dying if i dont run away from these 20 zombies LOL!

Okay yes the game trailer wasnt even developed by the developers of the game, but i suppose, a film trailer can con you sometimes, the game is very tongue and cheek, not like the emotional trailer intended, the game borrows its ideas from obvious titles such as oblivion/left 4 dead/dead rising/borderlands. But a lot of games do this now a days and edge really came down on them for this.

Anyway please comment about how you feel about what ive said and the review topic?

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

I've got around 9 hours in the game and there is no way it is a 3.0. I'm loving it, but it seems the game is highly polarizing. To be fair, the initial hour or so isn't the best, but it quickly ramps up into a great game. However, someone reviewing should have at least beaten the game, so this isn't an excuse.

THEGoD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 THEGoD1
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

I beat it, and I loved every second of it. These EDGE reviewers are obviously a joke.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Are you familar with Edge? Anyhow, reviews are opinions.
XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XxRefereexX
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts
EDGE are snobs, I really dislike them and sometimes it feels like they give out scores just to be hard-asses and to stick out. It's not a master-piece but no way it's a 3/10. It just pisses me off since a score like that will put some gamers off, and it's a game I think many will really enjoy. I think it's a solid 7/10 personally
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Yeah, I give the game a 2, myself. Because my parents are brother and sister and I like to munch on led paint.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Score is secondary to the review anyways. As long as the reviewer justifies it it's fine with me. At the end of the day, it's only one opinion, they just get paid to have one.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#8 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Never even heard of Edge and with a rating of 3/10, can't say I'm interested to learn any more about them.

The game has some bugs but it's pretty damn fun.

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
I'm also a snob, but I don't take it out on fun games. Dead Island is fun.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

No offense to UK gamers, but Edge is unapologetic about their anti-American stance (I heard this magazine being discussed on HotSpot podcast, or perhaps one of the 1up.com shows where they "outed" the writers as admittedly biased to a severe fault) and will trash a game based on it's company-of-development's national origins alone. So in short, consider the source, and **** them and their rag of a glossy mag with a cuppa tea. Sideways.

Also, regardless of where it's from, it's a REVIEW. Who the Hell pays any attention to a reviewer's bull****? Seriously? I have a ton of games in my collection that didn't review well, and I LOVE them. If I had paid attention to someone giving a game a 4, I would have missed out on a variety of games I now hold dear to my gaming heart.

Use your own brain. Reviewers are not always fans of the genre they review, or they could be in a bad mood because their girlfriend wants them to get a real job, or whatever. Game reviewers are right up their with men's room attendants in the scale of necessary services in this world.

That said, I still love Carol P. and Tom Magrino!

:D

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW

FYI, Techland is out of Poland and Deep Silver is out of the UK. :O

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i never liked edge reviews and after reading it i find it quite funny the guy didn't play it long or he played a beta version
Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aux99
Member since 2011 • 1689 Posts

I don't like EDGE

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc1066232b57
deactivated-5bc1066232b57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5bc1066232b57
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Playing through Dead Island just had me thinking about how much fun I had playing Dead Rising 2 with my friends.... so then I went to it. Sorry Dead Island, DR2 just came first :/ I see the appeal for the game, but I'm not really liking it.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Its someones opinion, not everyone is going to like this game, no matter how good, how flawed or anything else you can think of, not everyone will like it. And being a game reviewer doesn't mean you are expected to like to what is "accepted" as good. There is too much complaining these days about other peoples opinions.
XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XxRefereexX
I kind of disagree with this whole "A review is just an opinion" deal. A reviewer has a resonsibility to score games objectively since some people might not buy a game based on their opinions. Now I won't argue if a reviewer gives a game an 8 and someone else gives it a 10 as they both tell you that the game is at least worth getting. But if you score the game a 3/10 when fellow critics around you score it at least 6 and over, you have the right to raise your eye-brow and maybe wonder if this person was the right choice to review that particular game. If that review was the only review I read I would not pick up a copy of Dead island because in general I trust a reviewer to be able to tell me if a game is AWEFUL or GOOD. HOW aweful or how good may be subject to opinion. I really don't like racing games for instance so I would naturally be a poor choice to review the next Forza game but if I was to review it I would at least try to review it as something that might be enjoyable for someone who likes that genre and not score it a 3 for instance because that's my opinion on the game. Dead Island has its flaws but for someone who likes Zombies, rpg elements and co-operative gameplay with exploration that game is not a 3/10, if that's your opinion then fine, but don't print it in a magazine. have the guy give a second opinion instead
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#17 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

EDGE is a magazine I don't trust when it comes to reviews.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
I kind of disagree with this whole "A review is just an opinion" deal.XxRefereexX
There is a very small part of reviews that are objective... Frame rate, clipping, etc... Everything else is subjective. And good for EDGE actually using the entire ten point scale.. If you listen to Gamespots on podcast, the one thing Kevin V talks about is how he wishes more major outlets would use the entire 0-10 scale as opposed to this bizarro 7-10 scale most websites seem to use.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="XxRefereexX"]I kind of disagree with this whole "A review is just an opinion" deal.MethodManFTW
There is a very small part of reviews that are objective... Frame rate, clipping, etc... Everything else is subjective. And good for EDGE actually using the entire ten point scale.. If you listen to Gamespots on podcast, the one thing Kevin V talks about is how he wishes more major outlets would use the entire 0-10 scale as opposed to this bizarro 7-10 scale most websites seem to use.

Yep. And if you look at a lot of Kevin V's scores. He has no qualms about giving a game a 7 alongside a positive review.

I personally think that some reviewers put to much emphasis on their own opinion. It's like they are completely disregarding that other people may not judge things the same way they do. I think they should play a more neutral role, understand how some people could love or hate the same thing, and report accordingly. For instance, don't say "the character controls are abysmal" because they could just be too slow, and many people may be just fine with slow controls. They really do have a responsibility to their readers to be as objective as possible and completely clear on what they think the game does right or wrong.

Of course, the opinions will always be there and we have a responsibility to ourselves to remember that. That's why I always say to find a reviewer who has gaming preferences that closely resemble your own and stick with them. They will almost never steer you wrong.

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XxRefereexX
The point is that Dead Island isn't THAT bad a game, 3/10 is just really over the top. 5-6/10, fine. But 3/10, that is just unprofessional. Of course reviews will always have a reviewers opinion ans thus are subjective but just like in regular journalism you have to try to be objective when you are reporting,
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="XxRefereexX"]The point is that Dead Island isn't THAT bad a game, 3/10 is just really over the top. 5-6/10, fine.

I agree. That score is a bit extreme. I really can't see anything in the game that warrants that kind of score. Even if you had no fun with it at all, it's not THAT bad.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MethodManFTW
What is the difference between a 5 and a 3 to you?
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrSelf-Destruct
What is the difference between a 5 and a 3 to you?MethodManFTW
2 :P
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]What is the difference between a 5 and a 3 to you?MrSelf-Destruct
2 :P

boom roasted :P
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
This game is very underrated, it deserves at least an 8. It has a very Borderlands-esque feel to it.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I kind of disagree with this whole "A review is just an opinion" deal. A reviewer has a resonsibility to score games objectively since some people might not buy a game based on their opinions. Now I won't argue if a reviewer gives a game an 8 and someone else gives it a 10 as they both tell you that the game is at least worth getting. But if you score the game a 3/10 when fellow critics around you score it at least 6 and over, you have the right to raise your eye-brow and maybe wonder if this person was the right choice to review that particular game. If that review was the only review I read I would not pick up a copy of Dead island because in general I trust a reviewer to be able to tell me if a game is AWEFUL or GOOD. HOW aweful or how good may be subject to opinion. I really don't like racing games for instance so I would naturally be a poor choice to review the next Forza game but if I was to review it I would at least try to review it as something that might be enjoyable for someone who likes that genre and not score it a 3 for instance because that's my opinion on the game. Dead Island has its flaws but for someone who likes Zombies, rpg elements and co-operative gameplay with exploration that game is not a 3/10, if that's your opinion then fine, but don't print it in a magazine. have the guy give a second opinion insteadXxRefereexX

Integrity in online journalism? Please.

It's not a review's or reviewer's responsibility to score, or essentially, judge these games and tell people to buy or not to buy them. I believe a review should be as objective and informative as possible. It's the responsibility of the readers themselves to process the information said in the review and decide for themselves if a game is or isn't worth puchasing for them.

Not defending Edge or anthing, they obviously have an axe to grind. But on the other side we've seen websites gets bribed or pressured into giving good scores, and people unwittingly buy those games because "the score was good". Jokes.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

lol a 3? I thinks a person who hates zombie games looked at a few trailers and screenshots and threw in a 3 for the score.

XxRefereexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XxRefereexX
Going back to the 80's and my childhood I suffered SO many bad games simply because you had nothing to go on other than the box-art really to tell you if a game was worth buying. The whole idea behind Video-game magazines with reviews essentially started to help consumers stear clear of bad games, since it's quite a lot of money involved in buying a game. For instance it saved me some money recently to know that Duke Nukem Forever was complete and utter **** and yeah I rented it, it's horrible. Maybe integrity in online journalism is too much to hope for but this still doesn't really get EDGE off the hook for giving Dead Island a 3/10 which essentially means it's a horrible game (it's not). But I do think reviewers and reviews have a responsibility, it is still at its heart journailism after all Either way you spin it, it reflects poorly on Edge' s credibility, Swedish magazine Gamereactor gave Need for speed hot pursuit a 3/10 and I haven't trusted their reviews since that either
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

FYI, Techland is out of Poland and Deep Silver is out of the UK. :O

MethodManFTW

What I meant by the magazine's admitting to national bias is to show that they're far from impartial judges when it comes to the basic quality (or lack-there-of) in a game. Not that DI is an American-made game and that's why Edge reviewed it poorly, but that Edge will allow their political and cultural views to affect their reviews regardless of obvious quality (which DI has if you look at every other critic or fan review). Sorry. The moon must be messing with my ability to communerficate-ify and I'm having a premblem worth my worms. I can't spreak. Sproke. Spork.

:)

I can't TALK.

*whew!*

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#30 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I really like the game

Dead Island, ever since its debut trailer, many of gaming fans were excited for this game, the trailer was very inventive, and had an emotional feel to it, and me i couldnt wait to avenge this little girls murder, check the trailer out for more details.

I didn't think there was anything special about the trailer, it was good but there are dozens of great trailers now. Avenge the girls murder.....by killing infected people? If anything I was just hoping to be attacked by zombie kids.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I could care less about EDGE.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
a review is an opinion. They differ, hence one is 3/10, if you agree with it or not. Its just an opinion. The fact that reviewers rarely give an 'opinion' these days and instead play towards financial reward for giving a good 'score' is a shame for all gamers. That EDGE felt it deserved a 3 is good in my opinion, simply becase it means they have one, rather than giving an arbitrary score for the sake of future early game copies/ financial reward / other bonuses. If you dont know what I mean, then you dont read enough reviews. The vast majority are swayed by the fact that if a high profile game scroes badly on a major site, the publishers do not forget this and penalise the site in future. As these websited are businesses, they cannot afford that to happen, hence many games that should score badly dont, simply because of who is publishing them, and the relationship between the reviewers and the publisher in question.
C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts

haven't played it yet, but this score is really low - don't think it's justified considering the positive reviews the game has receieved in general elsewhere

britishdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 britishdude360
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts

An absoloute joke who ever reviewed that game.
Loving it, not getting repetive at all, its not like its hack and slash game its deeper then that.
Im glad for the rpg elements, adds to it, and the glitches and bugs are easily looked over and if your fortunate to have internet connection they will be pathced.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

i played DI at a friends for a cpl hrs. aside from subpar voice acting and the uneven weapon destruction ( a steel pipe gets ruined as quick as a wooden rowing oar?!) i dont see anything that would warrant a score that bad. makes me wonder what they scored thor.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#37 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I personally think this game is great.It does have alot of small problems but overall the experience is great, Its the same feeling I had when I played boderlands for the first time......BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE FIX THE SAVE SYSTEM AND THE ONLINE LOBBY
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#38 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

How can anyone take Edge seriously when Edge rated Bayonetta 10/10 I thought it was a good game but not that good. Then again it's an a opinion I haven't played Dead Island myself and I have little interest in the game since it's a FPS.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

*Confirmed*

Edge are a bunch of morons.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

So what I've gathered from here is that it's a pretty fun game, and that is why I like to use discussion boards to see how good a game is rather than solely using reviews. Though, a 3 does seem rather low, especially since that's reserved for the truely horrible games, which I don't see Dead Island being in that category. Hey, GTA IV got amazing scores and I thought it was rather dull, so it seems reviews can be wrong at both spectrums.

Avatar image for bostadskontrakt
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 bostadskontrakt
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

3/10 is obviously unprofessional. No doubt in my mind. Not that I hold any interest for Dead Island myself.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
EDGE =SUCKS dead island deserve 8/10 for me great and huge game
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I would love it if all reviewers would deduct huge amounts of points for buggy / glitched games. But they don't. One game get points off, the next - which is eight times worse - gets a free pass.

I don't read reviews any more. And I haven't made a truly bad purchasing decision in quite a while. On the other hand when I was reading reviews, I can't even count how many utterly mediocre things I played because of their stupid high scores.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I don't think reviews are ever wrong, as they are opinions, this is just a little odd. I seem to notice that Edge (along with Eurogamer sometimes) gives out the lowest scores on just about every game. If they don't like playing games, why do it as a job if nothing pleases you?
Wolfy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wolfy1986
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

Played about 15hours or so of Dead Island so far, mixture of single player and co-op. The Edge review is ridiculous, the game is flawed and has a lot of issues, but it's nowhere near a 3/10. From that score I would expect the game to be terrible or barely playable, and it's neither of those things. It's not the greatest game granted, probably more like a 6 or 7 out of 10. Just Edge trying to be controversial and stand out from the other review sites and magazines.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
It's Edge...
Who the hell cares about their opinion?
Slinky_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Slinky_Turtle
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

I'm about 10 hours in and level 20. Yeah, the game has its mistakes, but it makes up for it by being downright fun. I'd give it about an 8.5. I find the game to be absolutely fantastic, especially for a new IP.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#48 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I've got around 9 hours in the game and there is no way it is a 3.0. I'm loving it, but it seems the game is highly polarizing. To be fair, the initial hour or so isn't the best, but it quickly ramps up into a great game. However, someone reviewing should have at least beaten the game, so this isn't an excuse.

subyman
What do you think of the Jungle missions?
Trebblebase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Trebblebase
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts

I love Edge magazing but seriously 3...WTF!

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#50 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

No offense to UK gamers, but Edge is unapologetic about their anti-American stance (I heard this magazine being discussed on HotSpot podcast, or perhaps one of the 1up.com shows where they "outed" the writers as admittedly biased to a severe fault) and will trash a game based on it's company-of-development's national origins alone. So in short, consider the source, and **** them and their rag of a glossy mag with a cuppa tea. Sideways.MonkeySpot

Yet they give lots of high scores to American developed titles and Techland who make Dead Island are Polish anyway so I don't know how you can judge an entire group of people based on some obscure thing you can't even remember attacking them. Oh the tea stereotyping attack actually makes you come across as the xenophobic, not Edge, that was completely uneccessary.

As for the score? Everyone's opinion is vastly different and while Edge are generally seen as being fairly harsh critics, to all games, they are equally entitled to theirs. The game has been reportedly bug and glitch ridden even from positive reviews. My friend lost 9 hours of play time as the game refuses to save for him while playing online, games that broken aren't right. Having said that I love the look of it and picked it up anyway XD