Dark Souls, summoning phantoms is AMAZING.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts

I played Demons Souls but I never summoned anyone to fight with me, or did I ever get summoned or go to another person's world. But for the first time since I started Dark Souls, I went human again then went straight on to fight the bell tower gargoyles. I summoned 2 phantoms, and we killed both gargoyles in literally less than 2 minutes. Then I went back to the Darkroot forest and fought that butterfly thing, again with 2 summoned phantoms and it was SO easy.

At first I was skeptical of the humanity system and becoming human, but that alone makes it worth it. It adds so much to the game to be able to fight with others; I suggest you try it out if you haven't!

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
I never EVER did it with strangers in Demon's Souls. Only my best friend who bought the game strictly on my recommendation (he loved it btw). I wouldn't, couldn't trust someone I didn't know. When I play Dark Souls , I doubt il summon anyone.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I've been finding the opposite, mainly that people are more concerned with invading other people's games rather than helping them.

MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MC-Reap

I've been finding the opposite, mainly that people are more concerned with invading other people's games rather than helping them.

blueboxdoctor
Hm, that sucks. Fortunately my first two experiences have been positive, although I'm sure that's bound to happen to me eventually..
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
That is what made Demons Souls amazing you really missed out.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I never EVER did it with strangers in Demon's Souls. Only my best friend who bought the game strictly on my recommendation (he loved it btw). I wouldn't, couldn't trust someone I didn't know. When I play Dark Souls , I doubt il summon anyone.silentnightmere

Hah, don't be so overdramatic. I have had several pick up groups on Dark Souls already and almost every single one was great, most everyone is courteous and they do what they are there to do, help you out. No need to be a stinge about it, just play the game online and you'll see that you're taking things too far by completely avoiding it, or at least making the game unecessarily difficult.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]I never EVER did it with strangers in Demon's Souls. Only my best friend who bought the game strictly on my recommendation (he loved it btw). I wouldn't, couldn't trust someone I didn't know. When I play Dark Souls , I doubt il summon anyone.jer_1

Hah, don't be so overdramatic. I have had several pick up groups on Dark Souls already and almost every single one was great, most everyone is courteous and they do what they are there to do, help you out. No need to be a stinge about it, just play the game online and you'll see that you're taking things too far by completely avoiding it, or at least making the game unecessarily difficult.

Well I never found DS to be too difficult. I just can't imagine if I summoned someone they wouldn't murder me for no reason. lol liekwere just killing some demons together and then....BAM a rapier in the back lol.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
Uh, white/blue phantoms can't hurt you. The only thing I'd say with the co-op in Dark Souls, so far I've noticed people tend to lay signals near bosses rather than within a level itself. Except for in Blighttown. Plenty of people helping there. Kind of a shame, since in Demon's Souls it was great having someone point you in the right direction.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MC-Reap
[QUOTE="Sphire"]Uh, white/blue phantoms can't hurt you. The only thing I'd say with the co-op in Dark Souls, so far I've noticed people tend to lay signals near bosses rather than within a level itself. Except for in Blighttown. Plenty of people helping there. Kind of a shame, since in Demon's Souls it was great having someone point you in the right direction.

Yeah that would be cool. I haven't noticed any anywhere else besides bosses so far. I haven't gone through blighttown while human yet, and I probably won't for a little while. I ventured all the way down to the swamps only to find that I don't have the means to get through the poison water without dying, so I turned back and left. I will say this though, one time in Demons Souls, a guy invaded me but started sending me messages right away saying "DONT WORRY I'M HERE TO HELP YOU." He helped me through that section then left. I guess he liked to force his help upon people.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I've tried summoning phantoms but it fails =/ either Namco's server is pretty cheap or the game really is p2p as someone else suggested it was. Which would completely suck considering Atlus had a decent server for the previous game. In any case is great that you're having fun and finding a way to deal with the game. I however spend the whole game as an undead except at the beginning and before fighting the Dragon Slayer and executioner. I like the challenge =] i thought the game would be way too easy with other people helping, which i'm assuming it is since i find the game easy enough by yourself =x Except for the Anor Londo boss and Gwyn... which he is kicking my butt atm.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

If you didn't play with others in Demons Souls you missed out because co-op was fantastic and not to mention necessary.

I though Demons Souls was way harder than Dark Souls.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

If you didn't play with others in Demons Souls you missed out because co-op was fantastic and not to mention necessary.

junglist101

Disagree on both counts. I strictly played Demon's Souls offline because being online tends to mess up world tendencies (bad for farming, pure black/white events, etc). I'm just past the Capra demon in Dark Souls and it's definitely the harder game for me.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

Gxgear

Disagree on both counts. I strictly played Demon's Souls offline because being online tends to mess up world tendencies (bad for farming, pure black/white events, etc). I'm just past the Capra demon in Dark Souls and it's definitely the harder game for me.

Yeah, if you were concerned about tendancies then bieng online would screw that up. But since you didn't play online in demons souls you wouldn't be able to compare in that respect. From leaving messages, rating messages, summoning; all were easier and more fluid in demons souls. They should have released a patch to keep the tendancies from getting messed up from online play.

I'm doing a magic build which was the opposite of how I played demons souls and for me the range attacks makes things much easier. I'm only 10 hrs in but haven't died more then twice on any boss/miniboss fights. Of course I've died alot getting to the bosses though:P But of course difficulty is subjective to you play style.

Avatar image for AWolfoftheCalla
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AWolfoftheCalla
Member since 2011 • 162 Posts
honestly i have had the opportunity to coop a handful of times now and i think it makes dark souls way too easy. cooping bosses makes them a complete joke. i was stuck trying to kill the twin gargs for the longest time, died probably 20 times.... summoned one person, and we killed it first time, absolutely no problems. same has been the case for most of the other bosses so far.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

junglist101

Yeah, if you were concerned about tendancies then bieng online would screw that up. But since you didn't play online in demons souls you wouldn't be able to compare in that respect. From leaving messages, rating messages, summoning; all were easier and more fluid in demons souls. They should have released a patch to keep the tendancies from getting messed up from online play.

I'm doing a magic build which was the opposite of how I played demons souls and for me the range attacks makes things much easier. I'm only 10 hrs in but haven't died more then twice on any boss/miniboss fights. Of course I've died alot getting to the bosses though:P But of course difficulty is subjective to you play style.

Oh I'm not comparing them, just saying co-op wasn't necessary for progression in Demon's Souls.

I've always been partial to melee builds, and it seems like the enemies are a lot smarter and there's a lot more ways for you to die in Dark Souls.