Convince Me to Buy a Vita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

First of all, not trolling. Big PlayStation fan. Second, I know its not your job, but please refrain from just telling me to just **** off. And third, I see the recommendation thread already.

Anyway, I am a devout "manticore" and preach all the time about the benefits of multi-system owning. But the Vita is the only one i can't seem to get behind. At this point, I have all my gaming needs taken care of one way or another when it comes to application. I am looking to buy a Vita for the exclusive library and the exclusive library only. I hear such great things about the platform and would like to get down on it, but I sadly do not see a library of exclusives I can sink my teeth into that I wouldn't already be able to play on my PS3 or Ps4. But maybe there is a problem with my eyesight in that regard. So help convince me there is a reason for a PC+360+One+WiiU+3DS+PS3+PS4 to get one for the exclusives please.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#2 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Your life has no meaning until you have a PS Vita. If you think it does, you're only fooling yourself.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You're a child that thinks he should be named after an animal.

Please don't get one because then we'll both have one and I'll be sad that we like more of the same things.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By isturbo1984

@Jaysonguy said:

Please don't get one because then we'll both have one and I'll be sad that we like more of the same things.

??

what??

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It has Persona 4 Golden, which is the single best game of all time, exclusively. Persona 4 Golden justifies a PS Vita all by itself- the other great games on the system such as Ys Memories of Celceta, Final Fantasy X, DanganRonpa, DanganRonpa 2, and so on, are just icing on the cake.

@Jaysonguy said:

Stay on topic, try to be less unpleasant to other users, or risk a moderation next time. Thanks.

Longclaw360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Longclaw360
Member since 2015 • 115 Posts

As a manticore, the Vita was the system that I also had the most trouble justifiying a purchase.

The main reason that I ended up buying one was because of Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz which is a Vita exclusive. I was a huge fan of the Super Monkey Ball games on the Gamecube and this is the only good Super Monkey Ball game since then.

Second reason is that even though I can play the games on other platforms, some indie games just feel better to play on the Vita. Like Hotline Miami, I would never turn on my consoles to play this game, but it is fun to play in short bursts on the Vita.

Third reason is that while there are not many great Vita exclusives, there are many great PSP exclusives that can be played on the Vita through backwards compatiblity and the Vita hardware is much nicer than the PSP so it is worth upgrading from the PSP to play these games on better hardware.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Buy one... or else?

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By aaronlovesfood
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

@isturbo1984: Honestly, I regret buying mine but it is great for Minecraft if you want to play that.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Tired of having your papers blowing everywhere when theres a draft? Then buy a ps vita. Sitting the vita on top of your papers adds weight that even the harshest gust of wind wont budge. Also as an added bonus, the vita can be used to hold open doors when they would usually slam shut.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Get a used OG model, the games are also pretty cheap now, got more VITA games than 3DS games.

michaeljae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 michaeljae
Member since 2015 • 16 Posts

@isturbo1984: I found a used PS Vita (2nd gen) with a huge 16 gig memory card for $60. If u can find one for under $80-$90 I don't see why not. If u like RPGs then it should be a no brainer. Remote play is really nice if u own a PS4 and even some PS3 games will works on the PS3 as well.

Games are kinda expensive with the best being $15-$25 used which is a lot for a failing system. If u like physical games the library is pretty good just not extensive and if u like digital games then that opens a HUGE library of games including PS1, PS2 and indie classics.

Downsides... Memory cards are expensive. Memory cards are special Sony memory cards and not SD. Doesn't last more than 4-6 hours of constant play time. Library of physical games is paltry compared to the 3DS power house. Nintendo fan boys may laugh and point at your "inferior" handheld. Just remind them of Virtual Boy and how the Wii U is selling worse than the PC Engine/Turbografx 16.

Anyway I have bought like 15 games and I'm totally happy I bought mine.

Hot Shots Golf World Invitational

Tales of Hearts R

Child of Light (the only physical release of this awesome game!)

Soul Sacrifice

Army Corps of Hell

Gravity Rush

Freedom Wars

Uncharted Golden Abyss

Killzone Mercenary

Assassin's Creed Liberation

Ys Memories of Celceta

Tearaway

Danganropa

Danganropa 2

Muramasa Rebirth

And a small game I like to call...

Freaking Persona 4 Golden! Trophies, new ending, different dialogues... Yeah that game is awesome.

Almost all the games I listed are exclusive to the Vita with Tales of Hearts R a Remake of a DS title never released in the states, Child of Light a digital only game other than the Vita's physical copy, Muramasa Rebirth which is an overhaul of an incredible Wii game by the makers of Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown (which is also for the Vita and awesome!) And Persona 4 which is in my top 3 RPGs of all time (out of the 2000+ rpgs I own and have beaten).

So the choice is yours... So u want to play exclusive awesome games with the ability to play ur PS3 and PS4 games on a capacitive touch screen (much higher quality and better than the DS resistance based touch screen) that has almost double the resolution as a 3DS? Where u can pick up a used model for well under $100? And find used games well under DS prices? Unless you're really pressed for cash this is a no brainer to me.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 isturbo1984

Hmm... yeah, maybe I will look into getting one used for the few games. good stuff, @michaeljae

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@isturbo1984:

Besides retail games listed in this thread like Uncharted Golden Abyss, Soul Sacrifice, DanganRonpa, DanganRonpa 2, Killzone Mercenary, Freedom Wars, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Ys Memories of Celceta, Muramasa Rebirth, Final Fantasy X, etc...

I also greatly enjoy the remote play for PS4. Many times the lady wants to play a game and I can continue watching a movie. Having access to tons of indies on PS4 vita Remote Play to the Vita is fantastic! She enjoys it, the family enjoys it (when visiting), and I've gotten use out of Remote Play too.

Also, PS+ is a HUGE REASON which any true manticore would have by now as you get a lot of bang for your buck if you own many PS machines. Truth be told, I was all XBLG member since the original Xbox and I tried my best to resist subscribing to PS+, but the tremendous value of PS+ is too hard to resist. It didn't help that GWG offered far less in return and is relatively a newer answer to PS+ in the first place.

I accrued about 160+ Vita PS+ games over time (nearly 90 were Vita games alone, and the rest were PS1/PSP games also given away to PS+ members for Vita). When I bought the Vita I had a MASSIVE instant library. PS+ is already awesome for PS4 (4-5 games a month), but if you own a PS3 or Vita, boom. PS+ becomes a fantastic add on.

I too own all the machines and four gaming PCs for many generations of gaming. The Vita wasn't on my must buy list, but eventually won me over due to the games I listed above, remote play, and PS+ offerings.

I'm not much of a handheld gamer, truth be told, but I do use my Vita, 3DS, etc when I travel or wait in the Dentist's office. Still, the lady uses the Vita around the house while I'm watching my movies, we both remote play, and it's a great machine on the road.

BurnSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BurnSlash
Member since 2015 • 19 Posts

Well the only exclusives I found good at all were Killzone Mercenary and Y's. Vita is getting very little support from Sony.

But just go buy one. Remote play is a pretty cool idea (but using the back of the vita as r1 r2, L1 L2 buttons is a terrible terrible idea for Sony to do to us)

I bought the Borderlands 2 bundle. I came with BL2 and a 8gig card. I only liked 2 of the games i have.........not very convincing I know but I dont regret buying one.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I picked one up at a pawn shop for $80 with a 8gb card, a black zipper case and a game. Went out and purchased, LBP, Lumines, and COD. The 4v4 MP is COD is actually pretty fun and Lumines is like crack always has been since PSP days.

Biggest reason I got it is for road trips with the kids.

And when support basically stops for it by Sony i.e. Updates and what not. I'm sure the misdeed will have the emulators running better for NES and SNES

kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kljohns2
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

Using it during flights has warranted my purchase 10 fold...

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#19 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Persona 4 Golden is one of the good games to have on PS Vita and also most games on PSN Store are Cross-Buy too

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20  Edited By Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Rogue Legacy is just a great portable game, and it plays wonderfully on the Vita. I have put a ton of hours into that game.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Persona 4 golden is all I got.... However, Playstation TV is much cheaper than a Vita.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vita/dp/B00KVMHSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442516210&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+tv

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#23 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

@isturbo1984 said:

First of all, not trolling. Big PlayStation fan. Second, I know its not your job, but please refrain from just telling me to just **** off. And third, I see the recommendation thread already.

Anyway, I am a devout "manticore" and preach all the time about the benefits of multi-system owning. But the Vita is the only one i can't seem to get behind. At this point, I have all my gaming needs taken care of one way or another when it comes to application. I am looking to buy a Vita for the exclusive library and the exclusive library only. I hear such great things about the platform and would like to get down on it, but I sadly do not see a library of exclusives I can sink my teeth into that I wouldn't already be able to play on my PS3 or Ps4. But maybe there is a problem with my eyesight in that regard. So help convince me there is a reason for a PC+360+One+WiiU+3DS+PS3+PS4 to get one for the exclusives please.

Honestly, don't buy a Vita unless you love Indies or Remote Play.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Mine just sits on the shelf almost all the time. Freedom Wars is OK but nothing special (Monster Hunter on the 3DS is much better), Killzone is good and looks great but not a system seller, same goes for Uncharted. There are a lot of JRPGs if you like them you are in luck. Also a lot of indies. I never got into remote play since I'd rather just go to my PS4. So if you like JRPGs this is the system for you.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

it's the most capable hand held system ever made, so if you like classic games/PSONE or some of the better new games Persona, Golden Abyss etc, you can't lose. I just bought Resident Evil Revelations... it's a bad port but playable, sluggish frame rate, horrid loud times that glitch out and cause replaying sections but it's cool to have RE, RE3, Nemesis and Revelations all on one portable system. I haven't been into gaming much overall and still need to get back into Freedom Wars and various other PSVita games. It's interesting to compare remote play via PS4 RE Revelations 2 to the horrid port to Vita, remote play is decent and ports like Revelations 2 really show the vast differences in power between the two systems. Soul Sacrifice is excellent and you can still buy SS Delta via PlayAsia/Asia version. I wish they'd port the PSP Popolocrois game I loved that.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@koolyoe said:

Remote Play, PSP library, JRPG's, cross saves, Persona 4 Golden,

Thats pretty good.

Termi187nator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Termi187nator
Member since 2015 • 13 Posts

If you like indie games then you should buy one. I believe that indie games are more suited to the vita then playing on a console....

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

You can also tie it to a stick and have a tomahawk :D

killermilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killermilk
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

Well don't forget you can play PS1 and PSP games on it. I didn't see you list you had a PSP.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Now is the best time to buy a playstation vita, if you are into RPG games. You can get a PSvita for $129.99 recharged edition from Gamestop/EB games. Plus a lot of PSvita games are really cheap to purchase now. Since PSvita is now a legacy system in North America and Europe. The PSvita is still active in Asia. So you can still import games. Since PSvita is region free games from Japan will work on North America PSvita Systems.

But only if you into RPGs since that will be most of the PSvita games from now on.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

remind me how that works getting ps1 games on vita I don't think you can download them directly to it. honestly no more first party games drags down any justification for buying one, I really wanted one a long time ago. If I could get a 32gb memory card for 30-40 I'd be sold on one

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#33 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@isturbo1984: the best reason to get a Vita is because its SCE last handheld. As the future of PlayStation is the home consoles. The Vita and the PSP are the best options if one does not like Nintendos handheld options. SCE shouldnt stop pushing games for Vita to PSN. Get the Vita if you like PlayStation.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Do not get a Vita unless it is an OLED model.

I got a slim from ebay, but within a few days of owning it I bought an OLED from ebay and sold the slim. But then I sold the OLED a few months later. Mind you I love the PSP, so part of the reason I sold it was because I didn't like being split down the middle with two systems and I was using the Vita less and less. Also, my Vita had a creaky L button (which is a pretty common problem with Vitas apparently) and I fixed it as best I can, but every 1 in 100 uses the L button still creaked for a split second, and I couldn't stand it. Also, the Vita looks like kind of bleh. It's like a giant soap dish.

Gravity Rush was incredible though.

Speaking of multi system ownership... it's weird, I seem to gravitate toward single system ownership as of late. I like the idea of TRYING multiple systems but then sticking to the one(s) you like best because it allows you to specialize in that one system's library.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#35 enzoeleazar
Member since 2013 • 80 Posts

Well, the most obvious one is the lineup of localized Japanese games. If you like that stuff, you definitely need to own a Vita. There's lots of RPGs in there like you'd expect. Second, there's an underappreciated segment of exclusives in there, the indie bunch. Seems like there's a new one almost every week. If you're looking for a killer app, then definitely look no further than Persona 4: The Golden. Basically the Vita's a system riddled with gems and not a lot of megahits. You just have to dig deeper and you'll find a treasure trove of worthwhile games. Plus it's not just about the exclusives: remote play is the best bonus there is, you can play your PS3 and PS4 games anywhere via Wi-Fi.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@isturbo1984 said:

If you ever want to play any of the PSP or Vita exclusive in the Future. A Vita would be your best investment. There are still many games that you can only play on the PSP and Vita. PlayStation is not doing anymore handhelds. So the Vita is last of its kind.

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

Depends on your life and lifestyle. The only gaming device in that lineup for commuter travel is your 3DS. While that is a good system as it offers some solid Nintendo games on the go, the Vita is a far superior product. It feels better to hold and the standby mode is much better. I can usually leave the thing on for 2 weeks just floating around the house.

Other have mentioned cross saves, which is excellent, the other feature is cross play i.e. buy it once and then play it across different systems. There are good exclusives like Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush etc. however you can also go into some PSone classics (and PS2 with Persona4), so I play a bit of Street fighter 2 on the go, however the indie scene is where it is at. Its like a portable steam machine. Thomas was alone, Rogue legacy, hotline miami, luftrausers, shovel knight, Limbo, Child of light (ok it's an Ubi game), stardust and resogun and loads more. With PS sales you can usually pick them up fairly cheap. Also, final fantasies. The Vita deserves more love then it gets, its an incredible system.

boss_love

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 boss_love
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

@joe_b1_kenobi: Hahahaha, I use mine JUST for that

and for the topic, I would only recommend getting a vita if there are a lot of psp games you want to play and if you like anime. Most of the games on vita are anime and will probably continue to be. This topic already has a lot of recommendation so Im not going to list any. Vita is a really good system but for fps games like borderlands 2 or CoD it isnt the best (personal experience) its hard to aim fast and just the buttons and small analogs make it hard to play good.

But if you like anime and games like the persona series and rpgs then hey I think you'll like it

the vita is pretty exclusive to anime lovers and psp fans a lot of visual novels are on there as well like norn9: var commons is coming out and steins gate is also on vita