Considering getting a PSP, but having a tough time deciding...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Poochie-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Poochie-
Member since 2002 • 9396 Posts

I guess I'm just looking to hear some opinions from PSP owners. I want to buy a handheld, and I'm leaning towards the PSP but I haven't ruled out the DS. I'm a little concerned because I get the impression that a lot of people think the PSP is "dying".

For example, IGN's PSP game of the month for November was "Nothing". They say there's nothing coming out this month, either. They make it sound like if something drastic doesn't happen soon, the PSP is going to just disappear off the shelves. Needless to say, this is a matter of concern for someone considering dropping $200 on one soon.

So I'm pretty much asking you guys to make me feel more confident that I should go the PSP route. DS is tempting, but I want something more than just old-school RPGs... As much as I may love them. It's also nice to see that you can find a lot of older PSP games for $20 or less. For some reason, DS games that came out years ago never seem to have any price cuts.

What games are you guys looking forward to? Dissidia looks cool, I don't know what else is coming though.

If I do end up with a PSP, I'll definitely be buying Crisis Core, God of War, and Patapon. And I'll probably pick up a few older games if I can find them for a good price. Any other particular recommendations?

wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts

Ahh, well. The PSP is a multimedia device, while the DS isn't. The PSP can play movies, music, videos, games, go on the internet and more. But the PSP lacks games, and half of the games aren't even good (So says GameSpot's scores, but to each their own I guess). But I like it more than the DS since it gets more "hardcore" games and has better graphics.

Really though, its up to you. And this is just one Sony fanboys biased opinion.

Poochie-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Poochie-
Member since 2002 • 9396 Posts

Ahh, well. The PSP is a multimedia device, while the DS isn't. The PSP can play movies, music, videos, games, go on the internet and more. But the PSP lacks games, and half of the games aren't even good (So says GameSpot's scores, but to each their own I guess). But I like it more than the DS since it gets more "hardcore" games and has better graphics.

wado-karate

I guess this is the reason I'm so torn. I don't really care about the multimedia functions of the PSP, I just want games. But like you said, the PSP gets more "hardcore" games, plus the better graphics and nice screen. Everyone tells me the DS is awesome, but I look around and see hundreds of kid-oriented shovelware games with a couple of gems sprinkled in there - and 99% of those are RPGs.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
[QUOTE="wado-karate"]

Poochie-

I guess this is the reason I'm so torn. I don't really care about the multimedia functions of the PSP, I just want games. But like you said, the PSP gets more "hardcore" games, plus the better graphics and nice screen. Everyone tells me the DS is awesome, but I look around and see hundreds of kid-oriented shovelware games with a couple of gems sprinkled in there - and 99% of those are RPGs.

IMO you can't go wrong with either. DS and PSP have an equal amount of great "core" games, with the DS having the superior amount of fun quirky games. Personally, I just decided to buy a PSP myself since it provides the most modern handheld experience to date. You aren't going to find games as polished as CCFF7 and GoW on any other handheld.
Osnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 Osnic
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts
Ther're many good games for PSP, and many of them got awsome graphics and all that. Don't buy a DS, it sucks. Te touch screen is not something that holds forever, the games sucks, it's only something like 20 good games.90 % of all DS games are bad booring sidescrolling games with gameboy graphics. Buy a PSP it's much more good games, and the only reason why ther're more DS games is that it sells better than the PSP and more wants to make games to it! And DS games price never drops, comon New Super Mario Bros for 50 $ and you finish that game in less than an half hour. DS are for the younger kids and PSP is for us older. You only have thi boring Nintndo games and so many other games that sucks so much that you wanna cry. Many just says that DS is the best beacuse you have this stupid touch and everyone thinks it's so funny to pet this dogs in Nintendogs and other games like that. I promiese, PSP is much better than the DS and have more awsome games too. Yeah that's my opinion. And just one more thing! If you buy a PSP, buy PSP 2000(Slime & Lite) the new 3000 have problems with it's screen.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoldThePhone
Ther're many good games for PSP, and many of them got awsome graphics and all that. Don't buy a DS, it sucks. Te touch screen is not something that holds forever, the games sucks, it's only something like 20 good games.90 % of all DS games are bad booring sidescrolling games with gameboy graphics. Buy a PSP it's much more good games, and the only reason why ther're more DS games is that it sells better than the PSP and more wants to make games to it! And DS games price never drops, comon New Super Mario Bros for 50 $ and you finish that game in less than an half hour. DS are for the younger kids and PSP is for us older. You only have thi boring Nintndo games and so many other games that sucks so much that you wanna cry. Many just says that DS is the best beacuse you have this stupid touch and everyone thinks it's so funny to pet this dogs in Nintendogs and other games like that. I promiese, PSP is much better than the DS and have more awsome games too. Yeah that's my opinion. And just one more thing! If you buy a PSP, buy PSP 2000(Slime & Lite) the new 3000 have problems with it's screen.Osnic
That was one of the most ignorant posts i have ever seen. A.) The DS is a fantastic system, and so is the PSP B.) The psp 3000's screen issues are blown out of proportion by people who don't own the system get a 3000, you will feel like a fool for getting an older version.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts

The DS is popular among younger people but I saw my three grandsons all get a PSP. The three of them play it more than their DS. They range in age 8, 14, and 16. You are right in considering how many games are released for the PSP in comparison to the DS. Owning a PSP myself I have brought 6 games for it over a year period.From the games you are considering to buy I have all three and they are great games with awesome graphics. But its up to you and how often you buy and play games. I do not see the PSP dying anytime soon and there are some good releases coming out in 2009. Whatever you decide, decide on what you feel is the best for you, thats what I did.

MarthRingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MarthRingman
Member since 2008 • 1104 Posts
Is it true that white looks yellow on the psp 3000?
ownzone55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ownzone55
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts

Too be honest i don't play the psp nearly as much anymore. Ds has more choices in games. Id suggest that. But if you want some videos and music you should get this.

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#10 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
The psp is the best gaming system I have ever had...
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoldThePhone
Is it true that white looks yellow on the psp 3000?MarthRingman
No, if you are referring to IGN please know that they used MGS4 as their example. What did most people say about MGS4's visuals to begin with? It's all washed out and yellow looking. So if anything the 3000's representation of the MGS4 trailer was more accurate than older models.
jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
it will not disappear off store shelves anytime soon. Although the games im not a big fan of. it depends though what kind of games u want to play. RTS games are coming out on the DS, but the psp has better graphics and has JRPG and FPS. Plus it can play movies and music.
JRYAN34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 JRYAN34
Member since 2007 • 373 Posts
I am wating for the Piano Black PSP 3000 (Dec. 15th)
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
If you are hardcore gamer, then you have to get the psp