Connecting PSP to the internet help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by yankeedog009 (137 posts) -

When I try to connect to the internet, it shows the signal is 100% but whenever I test the connection, it says it timed out. Any help?

#2 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

Well it could be a couple of thing. We need to know the exact error messsage in order to help you better, since you could be timing out at the key exchange or when obtaining an IP address.

Either way, an easy thing you can try which may solve your problem is to reset the router (unplug, wait 30 seconds, replug), or restore the psp to its default settings, then re-setup the connection.

#3 Posted by TheHolyMuffin (25 posts) -

I need help also with connecting to the internet!! When I connect it says signal can't be found! is there anyone that has and idea to why my signal isnt working and yes the signal button on da psp is on

#4 Posted by TheHolyMuffin (25 posts) -

I need help also with connecting to the internet!! When I connect it says signal can't be found! is there anyone that has and idea to why my signal isnt working and yes the signal button on da psp is on

#5 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

TheHolyMuffin

Well something needs to provide a wireless signal in order for your psp to be able to connect to a wireless signal. What this means is there needs to be a wireless router or hotspot/access point in range of your psp. Since your psp claims there is no signal, this means there are no wireless networks in the area. So you will need to provide your own wireless network by buying a wireless router or access point.

#6 Posted by TheHolyMuffin (25 posts) -
That is the problem though. i have a access point and wirless connection but it says access point not dected and my dad said it might because of the security he put on so possibly im not open so i can access the internet
#7 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

That is the problem though. i have a access point and wirless connection but it says access point not dected and my dad said it might because of the security he put on so possibly im not open so i can access the internetTheHolyMuffin

I see. In that case, I would guess he might have the router on G only mode, instead of B only or B/G mixed mode. Otherwise, my only other guess is that the router is not set to broadcast its SSID, however, I'm fairly sure this would not prevent the psp from listing the network. But, I have no experiencing with not broadcasting the SSID.

#8 Posted by chunkyluver83 (429 posts) -
And this is when it gets wierd. I also have this same problem and my psp is the only thing that cannot connect to my router. My router has been unpluged and left off even for more than a minute and my PSP says 100% and it always times out. I was online on my PSP before and had no problems but now I have the same problem as you guys.
#9 Posted by brightchild0 (186 posts) -
Ok 9 times out of 10 its because your router has a WEP code, get this code and enter this into to your psp. This will allow you to access your router. The code on your wireless network is to stop people jumping onto your internet connection i.e getting free internet etc.
#10 Posted by mike4realz (2577 posts) -

make sure ur router is set to support wireless b also, use WPA or WEP (PSP does not support WPA2)

if u have SSID broadcast enabled on ur router, just scan it on ur PSP then connect to ur access point

if u have SSID broadcast disabled, then ur gon' have to manually enter the SSID on ur PSP

#11 Posted by IntegraBella (655 posts) -
yeah, I've been running into the same problem. I get 100% signal strength when I try to connect to the internet on my PSP and then it gives me the message of a DNAS error (when I'm trying to enable WMA playback). couple of people I know think it may have to do with the router of where I'm getting the wireless signal.
#12 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

yeah, I've been running into the same problem. I get 100% signal strength when I try to connect to the internet on my PSP and then it gives me the message of a DNAS error (when I'm trying to enable WMA playback). couple of people I know think it may have to do with the router of where I'm getting the wireless signal. IntegraBella

Well there is a way to determine whether you are really experiencing a DNS error or not. Open the psp's web browser, then in the address bar type: http://64.233.169.103/

If you are able to access google with that address then you are experiencing a DNS error. If that address leads to a timed out page, then you are not experiencing a DNS error. In this case, your psp is being blocked from the internet for some reason. It's difficult to say why, since it could be mulitple things, but it is most likely some security measure that was leisurely placed on the device.

#13 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

And this is when it gets wierd. I also have this same problem and my psp is the only thing that cannot connect to my router. My router has been unpluged and left off even for more than a minute and my PSP says 100% and it always times out. I was online on my PSP before and had no problems but now I have the same problem as you guys.chunkyluver83

In order to assist you better we need to know where your psp timed out, what was it specifically doing before it timed out? Was it exchanging keys, or was it acquiring an IP address?

Also, if you are sure no settings have been changed on the router since the last time you were able to succesfully connect with the psp, then try restoring the psp to its default settings, and re-setup the connection.

#14 Posted by chunkyluver83 (429 posts) -

[QUOTE="chunkyluver83"]And this is when it gets wierd. I also have this same problem and my psp is the only thing that cannot connect to my router. My router has been unpluged and left off even for more than a minute and my PSP says 100% and it always times out. I was online on my PSP before and had no problems but now I have the same problem as you guys.kimbokasteniv

In order to assist you better we need to know where your psp timed out, what was it specifically doing before it timed out? Was it exchanging keys, or was it acquiring an IP address?

Also, if you are sure no settings have been changed on the router since the last time you were able to succesfully connect with the psp, then try restoring the psp to its default settings, and re-setup the connection.

When it times out it was exchanging keys and then it said connecting to connection and then it goes back to the screen that says echanging keys. After a few seconds going back and forth it times out.
#15 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -

This most likely indicates that whatever key you are using is incorrect. So you may want to double check the password/key the psp is using.

If you don't know what this password/key is, ask whoever set up the network for this information.

#16 Posted by chunkyluver83 (429 posts) -

This most likely indicates that whatever key you are using is incorrect. So you may want to double check the password/key the psp is using.

If you don't know what this password/key is, ask whoever set up the network for this information.

kimbokasteniv
I checked everythiing and this connection is my own. I even deleted the connection and I did everything again but it still says it timed out
#17 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -
i have an unsecured wireless network at work and at home, NO problems getting my psp to connect. and even like 10yards away from the routers i get perfect signal. Is it me, or is the psp kinda slow at loading pages??