Confirmed: Gamestop/EB discontinue 80GB PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nousemercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nousemercenary
Member since 2005 • 415 Posts
PSU Writes:

"*Update: We have contacted Gamestop and found that it is official...Gamestop and EB Games will no longer receive shipments of 80GB PlayStation 3s."

http://www.psu.com/Update--GamestopE...0002557-p0.php
Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Oh dear. :(

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts
So the 40GB will be the standard? makes me glad i got my 60GB.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I'm assuming/hoping they mean Gamestop HQ. It'd be funny if they called up the local Gamestop and got their info from Joe Employee.
darkface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkface
Member since 2004 • 5966 Posts

So what does this mean for the people who still havent bought one (like myself), and want a system with Backwards Compatibility? Will Sony release a new version with BC soon?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emitsu97

Will Sony release a new version with BC soon?darkface

Nothing "official". Find a 60GB, 80GB, or pick up a new slimline PS2 just in case.

jlabadie88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 jlabadie88
Member since 2003 • 1985 Posts
The heavy rumor is that Sony will release a 120GB system with the DualShock3 included. It wouldn't be backwards compatible. Ever since they released the 40GB it seems like people quit caring about the PS2 games.
ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ryank285
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

The heavy rumor is that Sony will release a 120GB system with the DualShock3 included. It wouldn't be backwards compatible. Ever since they released the 40GB it seems like people quit caring about the PS2 games.jlabadie88

Rightfully so. People bought a PS3 to play PS3 games, not PS2. I have had the PS3 for 4-5 months and not once have i considered popping a PS2 gam ein.

kazamadevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kazamadevil
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
Indeed, the rumors are saying that there is going to be a 160 or 120gb ps3 with backwards compatibilities like the 60 gig. Also it willl ship with the dual shock 3. Also, I am happy with my 40gig and I already have a ps2 slim so I don't care that much about it. Also the white 40 gig will be coming with dual shock 3 and that's good news. I hte playing without rumble.
hackslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hackslash
Member since 2003 • 2328 Posts
Who knows, they might add full software BC one day. It's not that everyone cares about BC, but it would be nice to be able to play your older games.
benignbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 benignbeast
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I don't think BC can be added as an update in the future. I thought the 60G/80G uses a separate chip for BC. Am I wrong?
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

So what does this mean for the people who still havent bought one (like myself), and want a system with Backwards Compatibility? Will Sony release a new version with BC soon?

darkface

it means buy one now - Sony stated that BC is a thing of the past. They have given you 1 1/2 years to get one - your call if you want it not their problem any longer

cbalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cbalas
Member since 2005 • 268 Posts

[QUOTE="jlabadie88"]The heavy rumor is that Sony will release a 120GB system with the DualShock3 included. It wouldn't be backwards compatible. Ever since they released the 40GB it seems like people quit caring about the PS2 games.ryank285

Rightfully so. People bought a PS3 to play PS3 games, not PS2. I have had the PS3 for 4-5 months and not once have i considered popping a PS2 gam ein.

100% agree........Actually sold all of my PS2 collection to buy the PS3

FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
Why is this news when we already knew that Sony had dropped the 80g in it's manufacturing program.
Virie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Virie
Member since 2006 • 104 Posts
damn im getting a ps3 in like 15 days and i want the 80GB one. Im not from the US, but my local store receives them from US

PD: sorry for my English
ck02623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 ck02623
Member since 2003 • 1534 Posts

[QUOTE="jlabadie88"]The heavy rumor is that Sony will release a 120GB system with the DualShock3 included. It wouldn't be backwards compatible. Ever since they released the 40GB it seems like people quit caring about the PS2 games.ryank285

Since I bought my PS3 I've bought a bunch of PS2 games... They're cheap and fun to play :-) A good game never becomes anything less than a good game.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emitsu97

Since I bought my PS3 I've bought a bunch of PS2 games... They're cheap and fun to play :-) A good game never becomes anything less than a good game.ck02623

This is true. Unfortunately playing on an HDTV with SD media makes for some ugly fun games, thereby detracting from the fun factor. As silly as that sounds, and as much I wish it weren't true, it does.

patriotsr1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 patriotsr1
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts

darkface

Maybe you shouldn't be taking so long to buy 1 and gave Sony a reason to keep BC in them. This is why early adopters got the best console and didn't get screwed like some are saying.

darkface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darkface
Member since 2004 • 5966 Posts
[QUOTE="darkface"]

patriotsr1

Maybe you shouldn't be taking so long to buy 1 and gave Sony a reason to keep BC in them. This is why early adopters got the best console and didn't get screwed like some are saying.

Well, when the system was released, there werent any games out that justified the purchase for me. Now that I hear that BC will be a thing of the past for Sony's system, I would like to get one. However, money is an issue for me.

hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

do you by any chance not own any good ps2 games..that simply cant be the case!?
Demeritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Demeritus
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts
what i find interesting is that as of late all the best buys ive contacted are out of both the 40gb system and the 80gb system i live in indiana and one of my friends is a supervisor at best buy and he has heard the report from his people about the 120gb system that IS supposed to have BC but its early yet im not sure what the deal is with the 40gb systems but perhaps they are getting a new shipment of white ones in
digi198816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 digi198816
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts

Not believing any of this until i see the 120 or 160gb with my own eyes. I bought a ps3 today, and did a lot of research before actually getting the system. Went to best buy yesterday and they had no 80gb so i asked them when i can expect one, they told me a shipment would be coming soon and i can check back later and later asked them about the rumour about discontinuity of 80gb, they said it was just a speculation and they had heard nothing about it and tthey would be getting 80gb shipments for weeks to come. So i went back today and they had new 80gb's, lots of them. But then i decided to go to EBgames, asked the manager there about the 80gb and he said he had no official report about 80gb going out and he has been recieveing constant shipping. So i asked him if i should get a extra controller or wait for dual shock 3, he said i should wait since he checked his shipment list and said Dual shock 3 is arriving in ~ march and i can pre-order it in late feb. if i liked. I asked him if any new PS3 bundles or SKU's were on the list, and he said there werent any and that we should stop listening to rumors/speculations. So according to everyone here (toronto) 80gb is not being replaced yet...i am kinda confused but we shall only know in upcoming weeks/months.