Completely bummed about the lack of split screen racing games on PS3...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silent6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silent6
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I was at best buy yesterday and was holding Burnout Paradise City in my hands, the game I had hoped would be an end all awesome splitscreen PS3 racing game to play with my friends. Even though I had read online that they said it wouldn't be splitscreen I had to look on the back just to see it for myself. Once I saw the 1 player writing on the back which appears to becoming more and more common i had to give it back to the guy and with a sigh ask for Need for Speed Pro Street. NFS Pro Street is pure cheese but its a decent racer with suprisingly decent graphics, and most of all it offers split screen. Now finally I have a game other than my old PS2 games & COD4 that my friends and I can enjoy while we predrink on the weekends. Ill probably end up getting Paradise City one day but not for a while, guess I'll have to hold out for GT5 before I get a really good racer :-)
Avatar image for carving_a_giant
carving_a_giant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 carving_a_giant
Member since 2007 • 1516 Posts

I was at best buy yesterday and was holding Burnout Paradise City in my hands, the game I had hoped would be an end all awesome splitscreen PS3 racing game to play with my friends. Even though I had read online that they said it wouldn't be splitscreen I had to look on the back just to see it for myself. Once I saw the 1 player writing on the back which appears to becoming more and more common i had to give it back to the guy and with a sigh ask for Need for Speed Pro Street. NFS Pro Street is pure cheese but its a decent racer with suprisingly decent graphics, and most of all it offers split screen. Now finally I have a game other than my old PS2 games & COD4 that my friends and I can enjoy while we predrink on the weekends. Ill probably end up getting Paradise City one day but not for a while, guess I'll have to hold out for GT5 before I get a really good racer :-)silent6

Yeh, i'm in the same boat as you man. Personally though, i think you should get a machine gun. You can use it to hunt game, spell out things, or ring in the New Year!

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what has happened to split-screen racing games. I really wanted Motorstorm to have a split-screen mode which would have been really fun, but it doesn't have one either.
silver2kone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silver2kone
Member since 2003 • 207 Posts
I was going to get Burnout also, but when I found out that there is no split screen I changed my mind. How can they make a racing game with no split screen? So stupid!
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
Because Burnout is open ended. It wouldn't work the same as an arcade racer. You really never see a split-screen open-world game. It wouldn't have the same visual impact.
shaza91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shaza91
Member since 2005 • 3696 Posts
Playstaion 2 wasn't really known for it's split-screen games and I'm predicting PS3 will be the same.
huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts

I know, it sucks, there´s no other word to describe it, sorry. It seems the majority of the developers (or producers?) think online should be the only way for multiplayer gaming. I'll guess we'll just have to stick to Burnout Revenge for a while longer.

silent6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silent6
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Because Burnout is open ended. It wouldn't work the same as an arcade racer. You really never see a split-screen open-world game. It wouldn't have the same visual impact.RoganSarine

Yeah I hear what your saying but it could have been done if they wanted. For example, NFS Underground 2, I know its no where near the same in open-world size as Paradise City but it had an open world element. For example you could challenge random cars to a race and race all over the city. But as you probably know, when the game went into races or split-screen races it would kind of fence off part of the city and make a course. So I don't see why they couldn't make a separate mode for two player in Paradise City where they basically take random parts of the city and fence them off to create little race tracks like in NFS Underground 2. I mean it shouldn't be that hard, the tracks are basically made you would just need to pick pieces of the open-world map and make smaller race maps. I guess they're just too lazy now a days to put in the extra work to accommodate for split screen, i guess cause anyone who plays video games must not have any friends to hang out with :-)
sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts

[QUOTE="RoganSarine"]Because Burnout is open ended. It wouldn't work the same as an arcade racer. You really never see a split-screen open-world game. It wouldn't have the same visual impact.silent6

Yeah I hear what your saying but it could have been done if they wanted. For example, NFS Underground 2, I know its no where near the same in open-world size as Paradise City but it had an open world element. For example you could challenge random cars to a race and race all over the city. But as you probably know, when the game went into races or split-screen races it would kind of fence off part of the city and make a course. So I don't see why they couldn't make a separate mode for two player in Paradise City where they basically take random parts of the city and fence them off to create little race tracks like in NFS Underground 2. I mean it shouldn't be that hard, the tracks are basically made you would just need to pick pieces of the open-world map and make smaller race maps. I guess they're just too lazy now a days to put in the extra work to accommodate for split screen, i guess cause anyone who plays video games must not have any friends to hang out with :-)

A couple things on the split screen... Developers really seem to be pushing the "online" aspect of multiplayer over the split screen aspect recently. That may have something to do with selling more copies of the game, I don't know.

I personally think, though, that we'll eventually start seeing split screen games a bit more frequently as the next gen systems mature (especially the PS3). Right now developers seem obsessed with squeezing every bit of graphical performance out of next gen systems. Split screen can drag down a game graphically simply because of the additional resources needed in allowing a game to be played by more than one player at once on a single system. Once developers start getting more comfortable with the PS3 and its architecture I'd bet we'd see an increase in split screen multiplayer... so much so that I really think Motorstorm 2 could offer split screen.

thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
Same thing is the reason i havnt bought it
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Racing not having splitscreen is what is keeping me from buying such games as motorstorm, burnout. I won't support a dev that decided to dump one of the major aspect of racing games.
av10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 av10
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

ok i love racing so i always search for new games and theres one thats "the latest installment in the Race Driver series, and will take players around the globe to race in all kinds of competitions" it looks great hopefully it will i need a good racing game for the PS3 that isnt drifting or something else.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/racedriverone/index.html

Cant wait till it comes out!

eZ3Superman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eZ3Superman
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I had to search for hours but I did see there were some choices available such as Ridge Racer 7, Blur, Need For Speed Carbon, Split Second, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Motorstorm Apocolypse and Sega Rally Revo.
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

thread from 2008 mate..

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea... when i got outrun online on xbox 360 acrade....i wanted to play with my aunt lol and found out the hard way there was no splitscreen.