Barnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Barnz
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

I've spent 2 days looking up answers to a question. Only 1 or 2 people have asked the question & they were attacked verbally & called trolls. I created this account w/ GameSpot to ask the same legit question like those other people in hopes of getting a real answer.

Let me explain 1st. As a collector, I want a collection of games that will work even when the servers go out.

Few people like myself are looking for a list of "broken" games. That list would look something like this:

PS4 working offline - PS4 broken offline

A. x-game A. The Division

B. x-game B. The Crew

C x-game C. Plants vs Zombies

This list is very important. It helps collectors avoid games that won't work offline. I had to quickly resell the 3x broken games I mentioned above once I realized they are useless to a collector.

Every single Xbox one game is on the broken list, because not a single game will play on an XBOX one out of the box. Every XBOX has to be connected, patched & can play games online or offline. But having to rely on servers & systems to activate the xbox one, renders the entire collection useless. In 20 years, how will you play any XBOX one game on a system that can no longer get an update? You won't, I'm glad I didn't invest in collecting anything microsoft.

Back to ps4. Different story, You can play offline, most games, right out of the box. All you need is electricity, a PS4, a TV & a game,, & that's it. You can game. All your PS4 games are worth something, They can be played again in 20-30 years. They have value, They will retain value, They will go up in value. As long as the games are playable on a system that works right out of the box.

Back to the working/broken list. Having a list of games that are online & offline are one thing, but that list also needs to point out, that even some games that are playable offline, cannot be completed w/ out a patch. (This is where these guys got a lot of hate for this question) What games are not playble offline w/out a patch? What games will freeze & die mid game w/out a day 1 patch? Those games need to move over to the "online only" section of the list & be removed from collector's collection. Those games are worthless.

Yes I have internet, Yes, I understand it's 2016 & no one should be w/out internet (Google is working on that one), Yes i can patch every game I own, & I do.

All the same, A list of games is needed for PS4, Working offline w/ no patches, no internet ever, working straight out of the box. & those games that need a connection, whether to play full time online or just needing a patch to "fix" and "complete" a game that was almost playable offline w/out online intervention.

Please don't troll. I'm only looking for a list. Please do not say, All games need a day 1 patch no-a-days anyway. That's obvious. & that's why I'm asking for this list. What is actually playable from beginning to end w/out a single second of internet?

Thank you all.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#2 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

One game I can mention is The Pinball Arcade. It's been patched since it's release but it plays from the disc and I'm not aware of any game breaking bugs with the original install. It's especially sweet because it has The Twilight Zone table included.

To be honest though, I think you're looking at a pretty damn small list. I believe every single game I've purchased for the PS4 has a patch, I just can't tell you which ones work without the patches flawlessly.

Barnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Barnz
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

@d_parker: Let me say, Thank you very much for replying. & I'm glad to hear the list will be small. I could show you pictures of my PS3/PS4 collection, it's like a museum. I have hundreds of collectors editions, thousands of games. All of them have to work right out the box in 20-30 years from now. The same way Zelda will forever work in a Nintendo. So as of now, there is no known game that is non-playable w/out a day 1 patch?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

On PS3 your MMO's will probably not work(FFXIV being the main one), as well as SOCOM: Confrontation and MAG I believe. On PS4 it would be Division, Destiny, FFXIV, and maybe a handful of other online only titles. Do keep in mind that if a PS3 game had a system link feature, there are still ways to play the game online using tunneling software.

Also your information about Xbox One games not working out of the box is incorrect. It depends on when the console was manufactured. Newer consoles come pre-flashed with a more recent version of the OS. You're still required to update the OS if you want to use it online, but that doesn't prevent you from playing single player games.

Either way, if you're that serious of a collector, you'd have backup consoles that get regular updates to ensure your gaming experience will last for a long time. I'm a collector also, but I buy games that wont work as well. If I start making excuses for what I don't collect, I'll find a reason not to collect just about everything. I own all of the previously mentioned online only games and played the hell out of them. What's the point of putting them on the shelf to just look at them?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

So no Bethesda games?

Gamelore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gamelore
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

@barnz:

Did you ever find a good source of this information? I have a sizeable PS3/PS4 collection as well, and I'm also STRONGLY opposed to anything that requires anything more than the electricity + console + game.

I've been playing console games since the NES drew everyone away from arcades because it promised that perfect ownership loop, and I'll resist any attempt by the industry to move people back to a service model, which is what you get when you are forced to connect to patch games.

Any interest in teaming up as mutual collectors to create a definitive google doc or list?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@barnz: Completed The Evil Within 2 on PS4 before any patch was added, had some small framerate issues in the town areas but otherwise ran well. Did every side objective and had no problems outside the climbing clipping issues. I'd put forward that the game works to a decent standard.

I have since played it again and the patches seem more focused on PS4 Pro advancements than any of the above concerns so nothing major to add.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

This is very good topic. I have raised the same point occasionally, stating that in the future (say twenty years from now) it will be impossible to get updates for PS4 games, meaning that games that were released broken and unfinished will be unplayable.

I am usually just laughed at when I raise these concerns.

Here's a list of games that are unplayable on PS4 without patching. They do not require online to play, but they were released to broken that it really is almost impossible to enjoy them, let alone complete them, without update...

1.No Man's Sky. You do not want to play this unpatched, as it can actually break your PS4 by it's fatal crashes.

2.DriveClub. Do not, for the love of God, try this unpatched.

3.AC Unity. (glitchy as heck without updates)

4.Mafia 3 (ditto)

5.Little Big Planet 3 (hell without update)

6. Digimon (OMG!!!)

7.AC Syndicate (game breaking glitches and bugs if not updated, quite impossible to play in the long run)

There are lot of PS4 games that are slightly glitchy and sometimes crash on PS4 if you do not update them, but they can nevertheless be played and enjoyed without updates. The list is as follows: Just Cause 3, Infamous second son, Fallout 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, ARkham Knight, Shadow of Mordor, Souls 3, Project Cars, MAd Max, Mirrors Edge, Watch Dogs 2, Tony Hawk 5, FFXV, WRC5, Far Cry Primal.

Games that play just fine without updates; Bloodborne, Tales of Zesteria, Watch Dogs, Uncharted 4, Star Ocean, Risen 3 remake, AC the Ezio Collection, AC 4 remaster, GTAV, MGSV.

Those are my findings anyway, having actually played those ones both patched and unpatched. I have very slow internet, so I try play games without patching first. And if they seem to work fine without updating, then why update at all? F4, for example, I've played through without update once, and did not encounter game breakers, although there were few places where you could drop through the map and so on.

As for games that require you to be online while playing, GT Sport, Need For Speed, Battlefront and Destiny games are the ones I know. But since I have slow internet, I do not even try playing them, naturally enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a411408acdf8
deactivated-5a411408acdf8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By deactivated-5a411408acdf8
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition next month. All DLC (from Deluxe Edition), all patches + The Frozen Wilds.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 henrythefifth

It should be noted that in future, it might be hard to get system updates for PS4. And if your PS4 system version is not new enough for the game, the game will refuse to work.

Also, 20 years from now, you will find it very hard to get PS4 Pro patches for regular PS4 games, which makes those games rather unplayable on PS4 Pro...

Gamelore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamelore
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

@henrythefifth: Here are a few more PS4 games that are online-only:

Deformers (ironically, an online patch allows it to be played offline)

Overwatch

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Werewolves Within

Eve: Valkyrie

Lawbreakers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a411408acdf8
deactivated-5a411408acdf8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By deactivated-5a411408acdf8
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts
@henrythefifth said:

It should be noted that in future, it might be hard to get system updates for PS4. And if your PS4 system version is not new enough for the game, the game will refuse to work.

Also, 20 years from now, you will find it very hard to get PS4 Pro patches for regular PS4 games, which makes those games rather unplayable on PS4 Pro...

Not sure if any games requires a particular system software, I don't think so. But you can download system updates and update with USB. These will float all over the internet if Sony goes down, which I very much doubt they will. Sony is doing well. They are selling parts of the company that does not make profit, to focus 100% on the divisions that do make profit.

PS4 games will never be be unplayable on PS4 Pro even without updates, it's 100% compatible. And with a newer system software on PS4 Pro, boost mode will work just fine with unpatched games from 2013-2016. Boost mode will help with better performance, and many of the patches improved performance on base PS4.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Stop posting in this topic, its a year old, stop bumping it.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I could imagine getting this list is pretty hard, considering most people that actually PLAY the games will want to get patches ASAP. I'm not sure how many people out there played a game unpatched from start to finish. I certainly never did, so I can't add much to the list. It's also hard to define when a bug becomes gamebreaking. I assume most games out of the box are pretty bad.

Your best bet would probably be all the GotY editions and collections where the original game comes with patches and DLC.

However, thinking you can play them in 20+ years is very ambiguous: Who says that any Ps4 will be working in 20 years? And if you need to go back and use something like a "Retron Ps4", chances are they come with the most important game patches.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@barnz:

Alot of Japanese titles can be played with zero updates. Like Megadimension Neptunia VII and Cyberdimension Neptunia. I've never updated these games since I bought them and my ps4 is connected all the time.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@barnz:

Alot of Japanese titles can be played with zero updates. Like Megadimension Neptunia VII and Cyberdimension Neptunia. I've never updated these games since I bought them and my ps4 is connected all the time.

To be fair, this is only because the game is on the market in Japan for up to a year before it makes its way to the US / EU.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I say everything on the PS4/X1 will be shit for collector. Even if you can play the game offline, they have patches that either correct all the crappy bugs and can also drasticly change the game ( like Bloodborne ).

Or game like MKX that 90% of the game ( even single player part ) is tied to the online connectivity ... it is quite stupid.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

5.Little Big Planet 3 (hell without update)

It's Hell with updates. One of the glitchest games ever put on a PS4! Still has the glitches that erases your save-data, Sumo Digital shouldn't be allowed to touch games ever again after killing the LBP franchise.

. . .

But on the subject of the thread I'd like to add Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition. A friend of mine recently bought that physical edition and played it all on his offline PS4, even the DLC.

From what he hold me the game ran great checked the details and offline with the Fire Fades physical the game comes with patch 1.12.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

@ArchoNils2: i got ps1 and n64 still working perfectly

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why would patches matter? It's a one time download sort of thing.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 henrythefifth

new games do require that your PS4 system version is up to date.

It was same with PS3 and 360. Great thing about last gen was that games had system updates on the disc, so that offline gamers could update their systems. Not all games, mind.

But as to PS4, I have run into new games that said my PS4 system needed to be updated before I could play. So I had to go online, download latest system update, and only then the game would even start installing.

BlueArchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 BlueArchan
Member since 2018 • 117 Posts

May be this can help. Scroll down and you will see a list of mostly offline games.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/remakes-and-remasters-poisoning-new-consoles-33437651/#js-message-26