Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my Playstation.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dsp2569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dsp2569
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I have the original fat PS3. I was playing a game just now and the system just turned itself off. When I push the button on the front, it turns on for 2 seconds then turns off again. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it still won't turn on. What is the problem?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Its too hot, let it rest.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
Also, get a compressed air can and spray it and clean out any dust. Also note, this was the beginning of my old fat PS3 dieing and eventually having to be trashed because everything went to hell...
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Also, get a compressed air can and spray it and clean out any dust. Also note, this was the beginning of my old fat PS3 dieing and eventually having to be trashed because everything went to hell...Dysantic

LOL my fatty is fine.

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
Do you get a yellow light on the console when it turns on?
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

you needa take some preventative steps now while you can. Expand the empty space around the uint (makes sure AT LEAST 30cm or 12 inches around to breathe more is better). Can-o-air through the unit is good to clean out vents, but make sure not to tip the can otehrwise moisture will come out. If you can get a hold of an air compressor, even better but make sure to fire the compressor for a few seconds first to clear out moisture.

http://youtu.be/N2NuAR2Fd3s

I was given this PS3 in the video in that state of YLOD (yellow light of death), but it is easy to fix. I got it up and running wiith the reflow method for a month before it fried completely.

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts

you needa take some preventative steps now while you can. Expand the empty space around the uint (makes sure AT LEAST 30cm or 12 inches around to breathe more is better). Can-o-air through the unit is good to clean out vents, but make sure not to tip the can otehrwise moisture will come out. If you can get a hold of an air compressor, even better but make sure to fire the compressor for a few seconds first to clear out moisture.

http://youtu.be/N2NuAR2Fd3s

I was given this PS3 in the video in that state of YLOD (yellow light of death), but it is easy to fix. I got it up and running wiith the reflow method for a month before it fried completely.

kungfool69
Reflow sucks.Mine worked for only 3 days after I did it.I took it apart later and sold the Blu-ray drive,controllers,charging cable and HDD online.Got a new slim 320 gb the next month.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
its a wrap for your PS3. time for a new one.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

A true reflow requires replacing all the unleaded solder with leaded solder.... As for do-it-yourself.... I've heard that placing the motherboard into an oven @ 400 degrees F, for 10 minutes will do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svq_U4NLIuk

From description:
REMOVE ALL THERMAL PASTE AND THERMAL PADS PRIOR TO FOLLOWING THE FOLLOWING STEPS!
1. Pre Heat oven to 400F
2. Once oven is at 400F place PS3 motherboard in with Cell and RSX facing Up.
3. Wait 10 Minutes,
4. Turn off Oven but leave Motherboard in for 30 Minutes
5. Assemble PS3.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you have an original phat Playstation 3. This is the early signs of the PS3 beginning to die. You can still save it. This will cost you between 30-80 dollars. So if you have an original 20GB or 60GB PS3 then you have indeed gotten value out of it. Nov 2006 launch system lasting until now May 2013 not too bad.

You can fix you PS3 if you want. Or you can buy a new PS3. If you do buy another PS3 try to get a regular slim PS3. The 120GB/160GB/250GB/320GB PS3 2000A/2500B series.

Avoid the superslim PS3. 12GB/250GB/500GB I bought a brandnew superslim PS3 the uncharted 3 & dust 514 250GB bundle. It died on me after 20 days. These are cheaply maded. I got a bad batch/bad lot.

I also have a phat 60GB and a regular slim 320GB. Sony replaced my superslim with out and problems and the console has no had any problems. So I just got a bad lot/batch of the first Superslim.

Fixing you phat is less than $100.00 buying a new regular slim is you best option since there are few left as Sony is switching over to superslim top loader model.

Your PS3 is starting to Ylod, you can have it fixed. if you decide to.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

A true reflow requires replacing all the unleaded solder with leaded solder.... As for do-it-yourself.... I've heard that placing the motherboard into an oven @ 400 degrees F, for 10 minutes will do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svq_U4NLIuk

From description:
REMOVE ALL THERMAL PASTE AND THERMAL PADS PRIOR TO FOLLOWING THE FOLLOWING STEPS!
1. Pre Heat oven to 400F
2. Once oven is at 400F place PS3 motherboard in with Cell and RSX facing Up.
3. Wait 10 Minutes,
4. Turn off Oven but leave Motherboard in for 30 Minutes
5. Assemble PS3.

Threesixtyci

well, as far as reflow goes, it was dissmantle using the wrong instructions (80gb instructions, yet i had a 40gb...) then replace the thermal paste, apply heat gun to mobo, reassemble. second time it did it a month later, i forgot Resistance was still in teh drive, so i had to cut the drive open to retrieve it. Never thought of selling it.....it worked for that motnh without a lid on the unit, scotch tape holding the drive ribbon in place becasue i broke a small plastic clip....