Can not get into Bioshock

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

Hey everyone :)

I have had Bioshock for over 2 years now, I have just not been able to get into it. I just find it so painful, its good atmosphere but not much else.

Is it just me? How long do you have to play in order to get to a better or more enjoyable part of it?

Or am I just not going to be able to enjoy the game?

Basically has anyone else found the first 3 hours of game play bad?

Cheers

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#2 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I can honestly say you are missing out. Personally, I was hooked and absorbed in Bioshock's wonderful dystopic world from the minute I set foot in it without ever sensing a dull moment. Bioshock is a masterpiece.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
No matter how good/bad a game is, there will always be people who still won't/will enjoy it. It seems you and I are just no Bioshock people.
mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattamomo

I can honestly say you are missing out. Personally, I was hooked and absorbed in Bioshock's wonderful dystopic world from the minute I set foot in it without ever sensing a dull moment. Bioshock is a masterpiece.

Venom_Raptor

I agree that asthetically it is a great and absorbing game, but I just feel like I am walking through a showcase or artwork gallery.

The music too adds to the atmosphere. But it just lacks the immersion, at least thats what im getting from it.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattamomo

No matter how good/bad a game is, there will always be people who still won't/will enjoy it. It seems you and I are just no Bioshock people.Reptylus

So im not the only one, that's good

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

If you do a little search on these forums, you will find that I too, was not into the game when I started it. It took me more than 3 hours of play to finally find the magic, but when I did finally trip the wire I was SO hooked, and SO impressed that I had to come back onto the forums and recant everything negative I had spewed for post after post about the game.

You might try putting the game on ice for a little while, and going back to it after some time off... Or just keep plowing. There's always a chance that you won't ever like it, but take it from someone who was a COMPLETELY hard-sold fan of the game: It really IS something special.

You Are NOT Alone.

:D

But don't write it off, just yet.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattamomo

If you do a little search on these forums, you will find that I too, was not into the game when I started it. It took me more than 3 hours of play to finally find the magic, but when I did finally trip the wire I was SO hooked, and SO impressed that I had to come back onto the forums and recant everything negative I had spewed for post after post about the game.

You might try putting the game on ice for a little while, and going back to it after some time off... Or just keep plowing. There's always a chance that you won't ever like it, but take it from someone who was a COMPLETELY hard-sold fan of the game: It really IS something special.

You Are NOT Alone.

But don't write it off, just yet.

MonkeySpot

Sounds good, I will start a new game and give it another go.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I couldn't get into it, which greatly saddened me.

I LOVED the premise, the atmosphere was fantastic and when that door closed on me from the beginning, it set the tone. However, perhaps the fact I played it last year had a factor to do with it; the game is very old and I just found the gameplay laborious. A shame because I loved everything else about it, I just couldn't play it.

Perhaps I'll pick up a copy again and give it another chance.

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattamomo

I couldn't get into it, which greatly saddened me.

I LOVED the premise, the atmosphere was fantastic and when that door closed on me from the beginning, it set the tone. However, perhaps the fact I played it last year had a factor to do with it; the game is very old and I just found the gameplay laborious. A shame because I loved everything else about it, I just couldn't play it.

Perhaps I'll pick up a copy again and give it another chance.

DarthJohnova

Summed up excactly how I feel about it

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

That's too bad, because Bioshock is a top game from this gen. One of the best games ever made.

Drakan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drakan11
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts
I stopped playing it very quickly and didn't go back to it for over a year, but when I did I found it to be quite good, even willing to call it a masterpiece. Can't explain why it doesn't give a great first impression, but it does really hook you in at some point.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

*Minor Spoilers*

I stopped playing it very quickly and didn't go back to it for over a year, but when I did I found it to be quite good, even willing to call it a masterpiece. Can't explain why it doesn't give a great first impression, but it does really hook you in at some point. Drakan11

Bioshock is an interesting game, because there are almost no characters and the two who you most interact with aren't even visible on the screen for 99% of the game save for their little picture appearing when they use the radio. There is little character development, and Andrew Ryan (the game's primary villain, sort of) is the most compelling character that you come into contact with. It is a very unique game in that sense. It is a very unique game in most senses.

The protagonist almost serves as only a vessel for the player to interact with the environment, and that is the game's greatest strength...Rapture. Rapture is a place that has a strong personality, it is a place that is full of more nothing than it is life and it has such a terrible story to tell. Uncovering that story and all the truths that are hidden is one of the games greatest qualities, and the story in this sense has nothing to do with the game itself. It is there to be heard but you can go right past it if you choose, but there is so much here that makes the game great.

I don't think Bioshock is ever a scary game, but it does something very similar to what Dead Space does with its environment. It creates a world that is clearly established as being an antagonist. A world that exists only to hurt you, and the entire time you play you have an awareness of what the world is capable of. That tension builds up every time you enter a new area or hear a new sound; games like Bioshock and Dead Space force you to utilize your senses, and that is such an awesome thing because it forces the player to pay attention to what is going on around them.

I could go on and on about this game but I won't. I think Bioshock is a great game because of things that are difficult to pinpoint, maybe even some things that are difficult to even notice. It is a combination of many good things, and the end result is something to behold. I would call it a masterpiece of the video game world.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I hate the game.

It's so overrated.

It's overly linear and scripted.

Sometimes a game being scripted is a good thing when pulled off right.

But it's way too obvious and obnoxious in Bioshock.

That's just poor game design.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Personally I think Bioshock 2 is much better than it's prequel in every single way.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Never played it and nor do I intend to. Why do people feel that if they don't like something really popular that something must be wrong with them?

Rootbeer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rootbeer95
Member since 2010 • 490 Posts
You're not alone; I couldn't get as into it as other people either. I thought Bioshock was a good game and nothing more. I just couldn't appreciate the atmosphere and detail as much other people. Believe us though Bioshock lovers, it saddens us that we can't enjoy it entirely just as much as it frustrates you how we can't enjoy it!
mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattamomo

It is frustrating lol, I really want to enjoy it but just can not

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I absolute loved bioshock one, but two I could get into.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot

mattamomo

Well don't force the issue, Matty... There is no dishonor in not liking a game which lots of others do. It means you're an individual who's not brainwashed into herd mentality - Wear that badge with PRIDE.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
I tried to like it, even bought a special edition, but just didn't enjoy it. Its been untouched on my shelf for a long long time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f70a961d94
deactivated-5d3f70a961d94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 deactivated-5d3f70a961d94
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

mattamomo
Maybe ur trying too hard.
Avatar image for UnchartedPirate
UnchartedPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UnchartedPirate
Member since 2012 • 91 Posts

It never really crossed my mind.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Great game. I have given it 2 playthroughs. Bioshock 2 was fun as well, but not as good. My GF is just starting it and it is feeling a little dated now to me. (2007 I believe). Anyway, just muscle through it man. It is only like 10 hours or so.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'm surprised how some people find the gameplay to be dated already, but to each their own. As for the game itself, it definitely seems like one of those games that can be difficult to get into (at least for some people I know they felt that way). I had the same feeling with RDR and pushed myself through the first 3-4 hours and ended up really liking it, so maybe it's the same type of thing with Bioshock. Though, I did like the 2nd Bioshock a little bit more, but that may be just because I felt the story - as a whole - was better written.

If not it just may not be a game you'll like, which is why there are so many games to choose from (I couldn't stand playing GTA IV, but a lot of people are really into it).

Avatar image for DarkBloodPrince
DarkBloodPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 DarkBloodPrince
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts

Would you kindly try to enjoy it. it is a great game once you get further into it

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14820 Posts

Just move on to another game. I'm sure there are plenty out there.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#27 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I tried out the one hour trial. Seemed really cool until I got to some of the shooting bits. Seemed weird to me. I of course plan on giving it another chance as I didn't get far in one hour obviously.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonkeySpot

I tried out the one hour trial. Seemed really cool until I got to some of the shooting bits. Seemed weird to me. I of course plan on giving it another chance as I didn't get far in one hour obviously. SoNin360

The controls are Pre-CoD, so they feel slightly strange to start, but you'll warm to it. Hopefully.

:)

I talked SOOOOOooooo-much trash about the game originally, because I blabbed about how I hated it... And then at one point, it was just "*CLICK*" - "Ohhhhhh... I SEE, noooowww..."

I don't fault ANYONE for not being just like me, though. Like I said earlier in the thread, It's no shame to be an individual.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
is simple no your game man, just move to something you enjoy... I try assassin creed, found it bored as hell for some reason, sold it and move into the other 10 games waiting for me... (might try the brotherhood one, according to a friend the remove the things that annoyed me about the other... or might just wait and see how the new one is :P .. and pry read the story about the others online, so i understand what is going on lol)
E3Abe09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 E3Abe09
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

idk but the game is and will always be great

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Haven't been able to get into either. Of course I already know the ending, so maybe that's why...

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Venom_Raptor

This

I will also add you just may be a different type of gamer. You may not appreciate the game, what its doing, what it offers, & may not be able to immerse yourself into the world & believe you're there.

A lot of gamers just pick up a game base everything on how much fun they have with the combat rather than actually being able to truly immerse yourself in the game & enjoy it for every piece it offers.

That's why alot of critically acclaimed games dont do anything for the typical Call Of Duty crowd. Maybe you're one of them.

I will leave you with this. Next time you play the game try to really immerse yourself into the game. Believe you are there. If this doesnt work...... then try HARDER!!!

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
........yes dad..........
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonkeySpot

All this talk has made me want to put the game in. Another Friday Night, stompin' around the ol' place...

:lol:

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
I found it really fun to play. At first I felt like the hunted later I evolved into the hunter.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Don't worry, I've been there. I sometimes don't like the games that are "highly rated" and still don't know why it's good. Arkham city (too much like the first), fighting games (just not good at them I guess), heavy rain (too much watching, no playing), etc.

Bioshock, even though you kind of imply the gameplay is lacking, has one of the best AI's in any game I've seen (next to halo of course). That's what shocked me about the game, when an enemy would run for his life after being lit on fire, or the enemies having great pathfinding while still shooting at you. It's great. The story pays off GREATLY too.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
It was a good game, but nothing special.
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

I feel the same way. I bought Bioshock 1 & 2 from Amazon when they were really cheap but i only played the first one for a couple of hours and couldn't really get into it. I havent' touched the second one. Same thing with Batman AC, even though i really enjoyed Asylum I couldnt get into AC

Deejiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Deejiot
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I've fallen into the same spell, but i was hooked, then got sidetracked with another game and never came back.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#40 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The only part of Bioshock I thought was good was the first hour (pretty much what was shown in the demo which was all excellent). Other than meeting the artist whos name I forgot now I thought the game got less and less atmospheric as it went on and that the gameplay was shallow. Twists to the story were also pretty obvious so for the most part I had no interest in that.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Well seeing you own it and this isn't a question of buying or not. I am guessing you are like what I was. At first I couldn't get into it. Must have started it 5 times before I stuck with it long enough to get to the good part. I think the game is boring at the start, but gets a lot better as you get into it.