can i use my controller on a computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joeishawt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 joeishawt
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts

anyone know if i can use my ps3 controller on my computer to play games?

i dont think it works, but was wondering if some third party software would enable it.

or maybe it does work and i cant figure out how to configure it.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
It's doubtful,
if you could, it'd be insanely annoying,
as you'd have to resynch it every time you switched from ps3 to pc and vice versa since it's BT, there are similar ones out there for the pc that you could use...
LordMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LordMe
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts
I have a $14 cable that is USB - PS2 controller Slot. I use it for my comp, works great too.
joeishawt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joeishawt

It's doubtful,
as you'd have to resynch it every time you switched from ps3 to pc and vice versa since it's BT, there are similar ones out there for the pc that you could use...
Andrew_Xavier

i have an extra controller that never ever gets used so i wouldnt mind having it almost exclusively for my computer.

i was also kind of talking about connecting it through the usb charger cable, not really bluetooth. but i have never tried bluetooth and will give it a shot.

thanks

joeishawt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 joeishawt

could i even sync the controller with a computer?

i cant seem to make the controller "discoverable" and show up on my computer's bluetooth devices.

Macri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Macri
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts
there is a 6axis driver you can download. You have to fun the file, press PS button and it works... but that USB thing that guy was talking about for PS2 controllers is great, you can even use it to have PS2 controllers work on PS3
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Andrew_Xavier

[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]It's doubtful,
joeishawt

i have an extra controller that never ever gets used so i wouldnt mind having it almost exclusively for my computer.

i was also kind of talking about connecting it through the usb charger cable, not really bluetooth. but i have never tried bluetooth and will give it a shot.

thanks

Nah, won't work like that,
the charger only works for charging, you'd need a BT adapter on your computer to read the BT controller.

joeishawt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joeishawt

there is a 6axis driver you can download. You have to fun the file, press PS button and it works... but that USB thing that guy was talking about for PS2 controllers is great, you can even use it to have PS2 controllers work on PS3Macri

thanks, after some googling i found the drivers, no analog stick support though. oh well it works.

i would totally do the ps2 controller thing, but i no longer have any.

thanks a lot

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="joeishawt"]

Andrew_Xavier

thanks

the charger only works for charging, you'd need a BT adapter on your computer to read the BT controller.

First you post that it is doubtful that it will work (which it does) and then you state that the charger won't work - why wouldn't it? You can play the ps3 using that cable. Why don't you stop posting about stuff you really don't know anything about?

It works and you can use the cable. Most people seem to need to download the driver referenced above

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Andrew_Xavier
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"][QUOTE="joeishawt"]

svenskamerikan

thanks

You can play the ps3 using that cable.

No. You can't. Not until you've synced the controller with the ps3.
You ever pulled a ps3 controller from the packege, plugged in the usb cable, and had it work instantly without some form of syncing?

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

It's doubtful,
Andrew_Xavier

I have a Sony Vaio and it detects the sixaxis as a gaming device. Never played with it though, and I've never had to re-sync it with the PS3.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Andrew_Xavier

GreenGoblin2099

I have a Sony Vaio and it detects the sixaxis as a gaming device. Never played with it though, and I've never had to re-sync it with the PS3.

Odd...with the headsets (bt) if you transfer one to your cell phone, you always have to re-sync, most bt items can only support 1 source at a time...

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Andrew_Xavier

Odd...with the headsets (bt) if you transfer one to your cell phone, you always have to re-sync, most bt items can only support 1 source at a time...

Well, like I said, I've never played with it on my pc. Perhaps that's why I don't have to sync it again when I play it on the PS3... I'll try next time I need to re-charge batteries ;)

Sorakeyblade21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sorakeyblade21
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Actually yes... ps3 slim requires only for the cord to be plugged in. (have usb plugged in and it auto boots) unplug it and it does not work anymore. so YES the cord can work. all that is needed is drivers. no syncing, no hassle.
araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

[QUOTE="joeishawt"]

Andrew_Xavier

thanks

Nope, it works with the charger. But you need to download something, or the controller won't be found. I found the file on a youtube vid, just go search for it, you'll find it easily.

jellyBEANz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jellyBEANz1
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

Andrew_Xavier

I've got my bt headset synced with my phone and ps3, never had to resync. The only limitation is 1 connection.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9961afa4a79
deactivated-5f9961afa4a79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f9961afa4a79
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts

I use my ps3 controller on my pc all the time. . . you don't need to resync the controller to the ps3 when your done, you can use any usb cable. . . Just connected my graphics tablet to my computer with the ps3 controller cable. A software I use and find better than any drivers available is motionjoy. . . It enables the analogs, rumble and even sixaxis.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

You can do it, you just need to download the driver and stick the exe file in your systems folder and go your command line to activate it.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

yep. i had a app like that to play CS:Source.

anotherone10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 anotherone10
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts

I've used it before wired and wireless.

All you have to do is install drivers, works for XP, Vista & Windows 7 and is also compatible with 32 & 64 versions of those OS's.

Tutorial here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzgyKXApdoI

Works with DS3 and Sixaxis controllers, but these drivers don't allow for use of the sixaxis motion control, just google search for that. You can also use bluetooth, again search on youtube or google for tutorials :D

kkevguy47k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kkevguy47k
Member since 2008 • 900 Posts

Yes. You need to download some sixaxis drivers and then you just plug it in through the usb port. You cannot unplug it however for the method I used(My computer doesn't have bluetooth)