can i really use this as a computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newtonfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 newtonfb
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts
hey guys i installed yellow dog today and im just learning really how to use it. Is it really ok to use as a computer? i dont wanna get a virus or have it overheat on me. But i do like it running real fast and whatnot. It would be nice to use one machine since i was thinking about buyin a new computer anyways.
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
Honestly dude, you can't use a PS3 as a freakin computer. It's too clumsy and not versatile enough for that unless you can somehow hack Win XP or Vista onto the thing.
bytuiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bytuiop
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts
yes you can use it has a computer, yellow dog, does a realy good job and the chances of a virus are small to zero.
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adamou166
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts
Honestly dude, you can't use a PS3 as a freakin computer. It's too clumsy and not versatile enough for that unless you can somehow hack Win XP or Vista onto the thing.CaptainCrazy
You can use it as a computer, hook up a usb mouse and keyboard, add a moniter and you got it. Provided you know how to install Linux, I recommend Ubuntu as a good Linux OS. I myself plan to run it on my PS3 and use its processing power.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Deyee
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
Is it really ok to use as a computer? newtonfb

If you like an awkward running console trying to be a PC then sure go for it. Compare the PS3 to a computer purchased 3 years ago. That's about how it runs.

[QUOTE="adamou166"] I myself plan to run it on my PS3 and use its processing power.

Sure, tell me how Lightwave 8.0, and Photoshop CS2 run on your PS3. Oh, and I'd like to know how using a tablet would work with the PS3 (As my wife and I dabble with 3-D rendering/art in our spare time) , so be sure to hook one of those up and get it running. I'll be waiting for your insight on how those programs work bud.
TimoTheThug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TimoTheThug
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts
There is a way to get Windows XP on your PS3 and even op your PSP ... It's great and i don't know what made you think that the PS3 runs like a PC who is purchased 3 years ago ... 4 Processors (Quad Core) run Linux with 3.2 Ghz per core ... so quit talking ****
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deyee
TIt's great and i don't know what made you think that the PS3 runs like a PC who is purchased 3 years ago ... 4 Processors (Quad Core) run Linux with 3.2 Ghz per core ... so quit talking **** TimoTheThug

See, my wife's mother purchased a PC 3 years ago. It's sluggish and slow to surf the web, much like the PS3. Not to mention you do it with a controller instead of a mouse.

I actually have an older keyboard that I hooked up, but I'm not about to go out and purchase a mouse to surf the web on the PS3. I looked at a few youtube videos, read this site's forums, and read my local car club forums all of which the fuzziness of the text wasn't very easy on the eyes on my 56" Samsung 1080p DLP television.

So, while you say I'm talking "pooh" I've got 2 gaming PCs one with XP (wife) another with Dual Boot XP/Mandrake 9.1 (that's Linux) for me. And surfing the web is Eleventybillion times more efficient on a PC than the PS3. Not to mention that while I can play ANY video game on my PC(windowed of course and something that doesn't need all my attention), surf the web, chit chat with friends via GAIM or Teamspeak/Ventrillo, AND listen to music at the same time. As with my PS3.....heck I can't even listen to my own music.

The PS3 can work as a Barebones, Basic PC and if you're happy with that then by all means go for it. To me using the PS3 as a PC is just ridiculous.
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 adamou166
Sure, tell me how Lightwave 8.0, and Photoshop CS2 run on your PS3. Oh, and I'd like to know how using a tablet would work with the PS3 (As my wife and I dabble with 3-D rendering/art in our spare time) , so be sure to hook one of those up and get it running. I'll be waiting for your insight on how those programs work bud.
Deyee
Oviously you cant run Creative Suite unless you have a Linux version, whether one exists im not sure but i dont think it does. Running Linux on a PS3 is just as reliable as running it on a PC. Also you are referring to surfing the web using the PS3s browser which of course is not very practical and just seems like an added bit of spice to the console. If you boot the PS3 in Linux and run Firefox you wont notice any difference in your websurfing, it will be just like your desktop PC. I dont know why yo had to go into your home PC setup to answer this guys question either and its interesting that you had to edit your post 4 times, but as far as a PC for work use, I wouldnt recommend trying to design your company logo on PS3 Linux, but as a personal computer, there is no problems at all.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deyee
If you boot the PS3 in Linux and run Firefox you wont notice any difference in your websurfing, it will be just like your desktop PC. I dont know why yo had to go into your home PC setup to answer this guys question either and its interesting that you had to edit your post 4 times, but as far as a PC for work use, I wouldnt recommend trying to design your company logo on PS3 Linux, but as a personal computer, there is no problems at all.adamou166

Define "Personal Computer" if you would. Then explain to me how using the PS3 would be better than some $150 junker PC picked up at a garage sale.
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 adamou166
Define "Personal Computer" if you would. Then explain to me how using the PS3 would be better than some $150 junker PC picked up at a garage sale.
Deyee
Personal Computer = A computer for an individual to carry out tasks such as, word processing, email, web browsing and programming. The power of the PS3 is far superior to that of a $150 second hand machine, weather your running an OS on it or playing games. Like I said before its not a PC replacement but if you wanted to use it for the functions defined above then you wont have any trouble nor notice any difference in performance.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deyee
And of the trivial things you've mentioned, which of any of thsoe 2 tasks can be accomplished simultaneously?

I can browse the web, email, and word process on my cell phone ffs. I highly doubt anyone will be programming on their PS3s as well.

The Original Poster obviously has a computer to post this topic and he would be much better off continuing to do so from it in my opinion.

We're finding at least one thing that we agree on, the PS3 is capable of handling trivial tasks that a PC can, but I'm failing to see why someone would prefer the use of the PS3 to that of a PC which is far more efficient and also able to multitask.
bytuiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bytuiop
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts
must be your conection mate because my ps3 is not slow or sluggish has you say.
Alyxm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alyxm1
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
Honestly dude, you can't use a PS3 as a freakin computer. It's too clumsy and not versatile enough for that unless you can somehow hack Win XP or Vista onto the thing.CaptainCrazy
what? no hacking Vista and Xp onto it would make it worse, Linux is a superior stable system then Windows, Reason you love windows so much is that it plays all your pc games, why? because it is cheaper then MAcs and computers with linux. PS3 is your second small nice pc, it can do everything the PC can, really it can, it doesnt come out of the box (PC friendly), but it can be modified to install certain programs on it through hacking.
Alyxm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alyxm1
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
Really whoever thinks the PS3 is weaker then most comps, seriously you are stupid.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deyee
must be your conection mate because my ps3 is not slow or sluggish has you say.bytuiop

Yes, it must be my Internet Connection, which I experience no hiccups on XBL while my wife is playing WoW, or myself playing Counter Strike. :roll:

[QUOTE="Alyxm1"] Really whoever thinks the PS3 is weaker then most comps, seriously you are stupid.

And those that believe the PS3 to be Gods gift to mankind are fanboys. Every computer sold today can run an Instant Messaging program, web browser, download AND play music at the same time, while playing a video game.

The PS3 can't even play a game and stream music at the same time yet.
Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts

Deyee is right. while i love my ps3 for gamming and watching blu-ray flicks, that's primarily what im going to use it for. i have a pc sitting right next to it and that is where i primarily do all of my other computing needs (school work, music, internet ect.)

adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adamou166
The PS3 can't even play a game and stream music at the same time yet.
Deyee
Of course it can, install linux and play an MP3 whilst playing solitare on it. Forget the PS3 gaming side of it, the final thing it comes down to is the PS3 can run an operating system in which it can multitask. It has no problem doing this so im not sure why you think it cant multitask, maybe it cant in the XMB yet but under linux it can. Plus let me point out the keyword from your quote "yet".
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deyee
Plus let me point out the keyword from your quote "yet".adamou166

I put that there because Sony doesn't really have a choice, but to fix this GLARING problem.

Nice to see you have a sense of humor though, stream an mp3 whilst playing Solitare and forget completely of the gaming side of the PS3. That's rich! :lol:
a_random_hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 a_random_hobo
Member since 2002 • 1119 Posts
And of the trivial things you've mentioned, which of any of thsoe 2 tasks can be accomplished simultaneously?

I can browse the web, email, and word process on my cell phone ffs. I highly doubt anyone will be programming on their PS3s as well.

The Original Poster obviously has a computer to post this topic and he would be much better off continuing to do so from it in my opinion.

We're finding at least one thing that we agree on, the PS3 is capable of handling trivial tasks that a PC can, but I'm failing to see why someone would prefer the use of the PS3 to that of a PC which is far more efficient and also able to multitask.
Deyee

I'll agree with you, not because you're right (you're very wrong and full of bull), but because most people, like you, are too computer illiterate to figure out how to use Linux properly on PS3. The last sentence in your ridiculous post especially = :lol:
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adamou166
[QUOTE="Deyee"]And of the trivial things you've mentioned, which of any of thsoe 2 tasks can be accomplished simultaneously?

a_random_hobo

I'll agree with you, not because you're right (you're very wrong and full of bull), but because most people, like you, are too computer illiterate to figure out how to use Linux properly on PS3. The last sentence in your ridiculous post especially = :lol:

Well pointed out.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deyee
I'll agree with you, not because you're right (you're very wrong and full of bull), but because most people, like you, are too computer illiterate to figure out how to use Linux properly on PS3. The last sentence in your ridiculous post especially = :lol:a_random_hobo

Well then....learn me on some Linux there Pops, I mean I've only been using it since about 2003 on my PC, but since you're the computer literate one here. Enlighten us all.

I'm not going to install Linux onto my PS3 because it's.....a Gaming Console.....not a PC. Simple enough for ya?
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 adamou166
[QUOTE="a_random_hobo"]I'll agree with you, not because you're right (you're very wrong and full of bull), but because most people, like you, are too computer illiterate to figure out how to use Linux properly on PS3. The last sentence in your ridiculous post especially = :lol:Deyee

Well then....learn me on some Linux there Pops, I mean I've only been using it since about 2003 on my PC, but since you're the computer literate one here. Enlighten us all.

I'm not going to install Linux onto my PS3 because it's.....a Gaming Console.....not a PC. Simple enough for ya?

Its obviously been designed as more then just a pure gaming console, dedicated gaming consoles are a thing of the past anyhow. Plus its funny how you are now changing your reasoning for not using linux on your PS3, first is because it couldnt run it properly and now its because its a gaming console and not a PC.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deyee
Plus its funny how you are now changing your reasoning for not using linux on your PS3, first is because it couldnt run it properly and now its because its a gaming console and not a PC.adamou166

When did I say it couldn't run Linux properly?
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I don't see the reasoning behind running Linux on the PS3 and i highly doubt many people actually use it. It runs like a really old computer and surely everyone has a PC. Why not use a PC?
adamou166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 adamou166
If you like an awkward running console trying to be a PC then sure go for it. Compare the PS3 to a computer purchased 3 years ago. That's about how it runs.Deyee
It's sluggish and slow to surf the web, much like the PS3.Deyee
To me using the PS3 as a PC is just ridiculous.Deyee
Theres some of your quotes shooting it down. And id also like to point out this one:
I highly doubt anyone will be programming on their PS3s as well. Deyee
One of the main reasons Sony allowed for Linux to be installed is so home programmers and developers can create their own games and apps, its all part of their "user created media" ideas.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
But all of this can be done a whole lot easier by using an old PC.
Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Myugenjin
Member since 2003 • 785 Posts
I don't see the reasoning behind running Linux on the PS3 and i highly doubt many people actually use it. It runs like a really old computer and surely everyone has a PC. Why not use a PC?Deihmos

A great example would be ur pc breaking down and needing repair, or a friend/relative needs to surf the net while your using ur pc ect. All in all it can make since, PLUS there are "devs/coders" who are making drivers for the PS3 Linux to enable more and more products to be used through the usb cables.

So on a POS Windows OS sure the PS3 may run slow but on this build of Linux it's running fast and there is even video of sum dude stating a program (specially coded 4 the cell) running either 80 times or 80% faster at Gametrailers.com.
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts
[QUOTE="TimoTheThug"]TIt's great and i don't know what made you think that the PS3 runs like a PC who is purchased 3 years ago ... 4 Processors (Quad Core) run Linux with 3.2 Ghz per core ... so quit talking **** Deyee

See, my wife's mother purchased a PC 3 years ago. It's sluggish and slow to surf the web, much like the PS3. Not to mention you do it with a controller instead of a mouse.

I actually have an older keyboard that I hooked up, but I'm not about to go out and purchase a mouse to surf the web on the PS3. I looked at a few youtube videos, read this site's forums, and read my local car club forums all of which the fuzziness of the text wasn't very easy on the eyes on my 56" Samsung 1080p DLP television.

So, while you say I'm talking "pooh" I've got 2 gaming PCs one with XP (wife) another with Dual Boot XP/Mandrake 9.1 (that's Linux) for me. And surfing the web is Eleventybillion times more efficient on a PC than the PS3. Not to mention that while I can play ANY video game on my PC(windowed of course and something that doesn't need all my attention), surf the web, chit chat with friends via GAIM or Teamspeak/Ventrillo, AND listen to music at the same time. As with my PS3.....heck I can't even listen to my own music.

The PS3 can work as a Barebones, Basic PC and if you're happy with that then by all means go for it. To me using the PS3 as a PC is just ridiculous.

Seems to me that you are confusing PS3 and Linux OSes

PS3 OS web browser is ok
Linux on PS3 browser is just like my regular computer and is fast.
You can listen to music on PS3, just not during games, yet.

When you use Linux on PS3 it's like a dual boot,  why WOULD you want to play music on Linux and play a PS3 game?  That's like having Vista and Xp on the same HDD, booting up Vista and then saying OMG I can't strem music I'm playing on XP.
If you are on linux you would want to play a pc game.  (of course PS3 should have music streaming during video games)

BTW if you wanna do those things in Linux   MAKE THE PROGRAM YOURSELF
a_random_hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 a_random_hobo
Member since 2002 • 1119 Posts
[QUOTE="a_random_hobo"]I'll agree with you, not because you're right (you're very wrong and full of bull), but because most people, like you, are too computer illiterate to figure out how to use Linux properly on PS3. The last sentence in your ridiculous post especially = :lol:Deyee

:lol: I never asked if you were going to install a distro on your machine, nor do I care. Simple enough for ya, "Pops"?
Your credibility = null
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RahKayne
I installed Linux just to increase the functionality of PS3.

Say I bring it over to a friends house. (one with only one computer or whatever)

I have a gaming console, BD player, extra PC. ( plus if you are into programming and learning how to use the cell processor that's fun right there-  ok I know how that sounds)
Skplion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Skplion
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts
I can't understand the reason you all are arguing right here. It's obvious that the PS3 is a really powerfull system, capable of superior graphics and lots of processing power. But some people don't understand that although it's built like a computer, it's not really a computer. Sony created it and tuned it to be a games console. sure it's nice that Sony gave us the ability to install an OS and use it like a PC and that the PS3 is powerfull enough to support it, but it's not what it was meant for. If you want to do it, that's fine. Nobody is going to stop you. Just don't expect it to replace normal PCs. That's just impossible. It may look like it's efficiently running PC programs but a PS3 running PC or MAC OS and programs is like a fish out of the water. It can't make full use of it's capabilities and it's a bit clumsy. Don't expect it to run like a quad core PC. The only good reason to to install linux on PS3 is for using it as a backup PC as Myugenjin said.
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RahKayne
I can't understand the reason you all are arguing right here. It's obvious that the PS3 is a really powerfull system, capable of superior graphics and lots of processing power. But some people don't understand that although it's built like a computer, it's not really a computer. Sony created it and tuned it to be a games console. sure it's nice that Sony gave us the ability to install an OS and use it like a PC and that the PS3 is powerfull enough to support it, but it's not what it was meant for. If you want to do it, that's fine. Nobody is going to stop you. Just don't expect it to replace normal PCs. That's just impossible. It may look like it's efficiently running PC programs but a PS3 running PC or MAC OS and programs is like a fish out of the water. It can't make full use of it's capabilities and it's a bit clumsy. Don't expect it to run like a quad core PC. The only good reason to to install linux on PS3 is for using it as a backup PC as Myugenjin said.Skplion

exactly and actually it's been proven that:

(unoptimized software used) that the PS3 used as linux is about equal to a low G5 high G4 in terms of benchmarking. (un optimized)
So yes you can use as a PC.

Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deyee

Theres some of your quotes shooting it down.adamou166

That was my shooting the PS3 down as a PC, not saying at all that Linux wouldn't work on it.  

One of the main reasons Sony allowed for Linux to be installed is so home programmers and developers can create their own games and apps, its all part of their "user created media" ideas.adamou166

When an "Alien Hominid" is created on the PS3 I'll eat my words, until then my statement stands true.