Can games update with the console in rest mode/turned off?

LoudonWIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LoudonWIII
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

So I got a PS4 yesterday and got it all hooked up and it works great. There's just one small problem. I had to download a patch for WWE 2K18 so I could play online... and it took 18 hours to download.

I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's just because my internet is slow or something, but I don't want my system to overheat. I also don't want to turn my system off halfway through a patch and then have to start downloading it all over again. Does anybody know if you can download patches with the console off or on rest mode?

Thanks!

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Rest mode it will download.

Turned off it won't download.

Go to notifications and you can pause/unpause or delete the download. If download is not listed go to notifications and press options on your controller, to pause/unpause or delete the download.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@loudonwiii: So basically you cant read what the console tells you.

"Rest mode is used for downloading/installing updates and for charging the controller"

Too bad you cant read, because that exact sentence is written in the settings.

LoudonWIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LoudonWIII

@GTR12 said:

"Rest mode is used for downloading/installing updates and for charging the controller"

I'm not a tech person. I haven't gamed on a regular basis since probably 2005 or 2006. It took me ages to figure out where to insert the disc and why there weren't any slots for the memory cards. I have no idea how to navigate to the settings. Thank you for the advice, but there was no need to be so hostile.

LoudonWIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LoudonWIII
@strategyfn said:

Rest mode it will download.

Turned off it won't download.

Go to notifications and you can pause/unpause or delete the download. If download is not listed go to notifications and press options on your controller, to pause/unpause or delete the download.

Thanks! I'm putting this to use now. Installing GTA 5 and it's going to take 31 hours... oof.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@loudonwiii said:
@GTR12 said:

I'm not a tech person. I haven't gamed on a regular basis since probably 2005 or 2006. It took me ages to figure out where to insert the disc and why there weren't any slots for the memory cards. I have no idea how to navigate to the settings. Thank you for the advice, but there was no need to be so hostile.

When you turn on the PS4 for the first time, it runs through a tutorial, it ALSO comes with a quick-start booklet, pointing out all the slots for input/output.

LoudonWIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LoudonWIII

@GTR12 said:
@loudonwiii said:
@GTR12 said:

When you turn on the PS4 for the first time, it runs through a tutorial, it ALSO comes with a quick-start booklet, pointing out all the slots for input/output.

Like I said, not a tech person. My wife set up the console for me so I didn't see any of that.