'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' will now be called 'Modern Warfare 2'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xroguekillax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xroguekillax
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

Not sure if everyone has seen this yet, so here you go:

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6206807/modern-warfare-2-waging-nov-10-not-call-of-duty-branded?tag=newslist;story;1

Here's the updated part of the article:

An official press release sent out the subsequent morning confirms that Modern Warfare 2 will not bear the "Call of Duty" prefix. Activision had not answered questions about whether or not the game was the unique new IP that Infinity Ward mentioned when it revealed its top talent had signed long-term contracts with Activision last July.

Personally, I don't mind the name change. Modern Warfare 2 sounds OK to me.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
It makes sense since there were a lot of options they could have gone with for the name. For example, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 6, Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare, etc. Instead they took the simple route and simply said, lets just make it the next Modern Warfare game.
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

If Infinty Ward dont put down the Call of duty sign on it, then that could possibly be taking away the Call of duty series

badge. "Modern Warfare 2"? Call of duty Modern Warfare 2 sounds cooler. Anyway, cant wait for this, and I can see that

you have posted on loads of Modern Warfare 2 forums. You must be excited too eh? Of course you've got to be excited!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Cool

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

The numbers always confuse me. Oh well, I'll be too busy playing online to care. Can't wait! :D

spartan6157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spartan6157
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

http://www.picable.com/People/Activities/Work/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Two.712245

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

they announced this like a month ago.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
Modern Warfare 2 never was Call of Duty. I'v know this for a while, and I've been telling people. They're like, "well its still call of duty 6!".............. No. No its not. Its Modern Warfare 2....... :o
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nephilim83

http://www.picable.com/People/Activities/Work/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Two.712245

spartan6157

What's the point here? Some dumb website tacked call of duty on to the name. So? Look at the video player. It clearly says right there in front of you in the official title text "Modern Warfare 2" (if you weren't trying to imply that it was still call of duty with this link then I'm an assumptious **** and I apologize! lol)

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Modern Warfare 2 never was Call of Duty. I'v know this for a while, and I've been telling people. They're like, "well its still call of duty 6!".............. No. No its not. Its Modern Warfare 2....... :oNephilim83
It technically still is Call of Duty 6. Internally with Activision. And it is technically part of the series. But its called Modern Warfare 2.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"]Modern Warfare 2 never was Call of Duty. I'v know this for a while, and I've been telling people. They're like, "well its still call of duty 6!".............. No. No its not. Its Modern Warfare 2....... :onavstar29
It technically still is Call of Duty 6. Internally with Activision. And it is technically part of the series. But its called Modern Warfare 2.

Lol. Here it goes again. Technically it is not Call of Duty six. For it to be 'technically' COD6 it would have to be called that. Its 'technically' Modern Warfare 2. However, you could say it was 'essentially' Call of Duty six as it does cary the essence of the rest of the series. But no matter how you say it is simply MW2. The title on the box is what the game is. The tile on the box will be Modern Warfare 2........
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

The name could've been a bit more unique or interesting.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
[QUOTE="navstar29"][QUOTE="Nephilim83"]Modern Warfare 2 never was Call of Duty. I'v know this for a while, and I've been telling people. They're like, "well its still call of duty 6!".............. No. No its not. Its Modern Warfare 2....... :oNephilim83

Lol. Here it goes again. Technically it is not Call of Duty six. For it to be 'technically' COD6 it would have to be called that. Its 'technically' Modern Warfare 2. However, you could say it was 'essentially' Call of Duty six as it does cary the essence of the rest of the series. But no matter how you say it is simply MW2. The title on the box is what the game is. The tile on the box will be Modern Warfare 2........

Yes. Thats what I said. The title on the box is MW2. Internally at Activision its COD6, like WAW was COD5 and like the game Treyarch is working on which probably wont have the number 7 in it, but is COD7 (at the moment).

But for all intents and purposes it is MW2.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="navstar29"] It technically still is Call of Duty 6. Internally with Activision. And it is technically part of the series. But its called Modern Warfare 2. navstar29

Yes. Thats what I said. The title on the box is MW2. Internally at Activision its COD6, like WAW was COD5 and like the game Treyarch is working on which probably wont have the number 7 in it, but is COD7 (at the moment).

But for all intents and purposes it is MW2.

True that true that. I'll definately agree with you there.
PSn_Hydrexo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSn_Hydrexo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I don't see the point why they'd change the name? its a game that has been out for some time now. I understand if in future makes if they take out the Call Of Duty name out like for instance, the game SmackDown Vs Raw 2011. The next game that came out not too long ago is now called WWE 12. They felt they didn't need that title anymore so it'd work out with Call Of Duty. Besides, the past Call Of Duty games were focused on the past not now in the present or near future. If they stick with world wars and past times then Call Of Duty would be a good name still. But again just to have it called Modern Warfare 2.... means they'd have to re create new packaging for the games so anyone who doesn't have MW2 can buy it and just not have the Call Of Duty title in it :S
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I don't see the point why they'd change the name? its a game that has been out for some time now. I understand if in future makes if they take out the Call Of Duty name out like for instance, the game SmackDown Vs Raw 2011. The next game that came out not too long ago is now called WWE 12. They felt they didn't need that title anymore so it'd work out with Call Of Duty. Besides, the past Call Of Duty games were focused on the past not now in the present or near future. If they stick with world wars and past times then Call Of Duty would be a good name still. But again just to have it called Modern Warfare 2.... means they'd have to re create new packaging for the games so anyone who doesn't have MW2 can buy it and just not have the Call Of Duty title in it :SPSn_Hydrexo

Are you just brand new to the internet, or do you not realize that this article is 3 freaking years old?

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

haha lost in time again