calibrate your tvs!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

So many people just leave there TV settings as they are out of the box but why? It looks horrible everything is pumped up to catch attention in store. Calibrate your tvs you'll really see the difference and then you'll be getting the full quality of the ps4.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

I was into high end hdtv gear for years, I've spent countless thousands on hdtv gear. I had to have the best of the best, have it calibrated professionally. The one thing I've realize most people don't care, they will also think a properly calibrated tv looks muted and not good visually.

You can tell them how the colors are more natural, how the blacks are not crushed and you can see the shadow detail. The avarage joe will see a tv on vivid and think wow, my best advice it to set the tv to what pleases you. Adjust the backlight so you don't strain your eyes, turn off any 120/240hz tech unless you're watching sports. Those are the things most people get and will notice the difference.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

@gagit811: most people though think contrast is good set high and sharpness high to? And as you and I know this is completely wrong as really you loose detail in bright areas and halos are created around objects.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I like my TV vivid

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@gagit811: 120hz/240hz screens don't make sports broadcasted in 24hz 30hz or 60hz any fucking better. Only thing those extra frames are good for are gaming. Nothing else takes advantage of them what so ever.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@benny_boy98 said:

So many people just leave there TV settings as they are out of the box but why? It looks horrible everything is pumped up to catch attention in store. Calibrate your tvs you'll really see the difference and then you'll be getting the full quality of the ps4.

Because the everyday Joe doesn´t care how it will look "better", nor wants to tinker with the settings to make it look "better", besides perception is something completely subjective, what looks good to you looks like crap to someone else.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

@ribstaylor1: on those 120/240hz tvs you lose motion resolution with it turned off. So for sports it helps clear the image for fast moving non film broadcast.

Having motion interpolation turn on is bad for gaming. With the 120/240 tech turned on it introduces input lag. All that extra processing takes time and just causes lag, the last thing you want for gaming.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@gagit811 said:

@ribstaylor1: on those 120/240hz tvs you lose motion resolution with it turned off. So for sports it helps clear the image for fast moving non film broadcast.

Having motion interpolation turn on is bad for gaming. With the 120/240 tech turned on it introduces input lag. All that extra processing takes time and just causes lag, the last thing you want for gaming.

yeah, that 120-240hz stuff is horrible for gaming... unless you have an actual 120hz monitor or whatever, but that wouldnt matter on ps4 anyway.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

I have finally calibrated my TV and it looks MUCH better

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@gagit811: 120hz/240hz screens don't make sports broadcasted in 24hz 30hz or 60hz any fucking better. Only thing those extra frames are good for are gaming. Nothing else takes advantage of them what so ever.

This sure seems logical, but just go to any tv store and compare them side by side. The higher the hz does look noticeably better to me.