Buying a used PS Vita, anything I should know?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts

As the title says, is there anything I should know before buying it? If I buy it it comes with a 8gb stick.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Nice I would recommend mortal kombat and Uncharted and some ps1 games

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

If you can, get a warranty. That way, if it dies on you, you can either get another used PS Vita or get that one repaired. I've been a little wary buying used video game hardware. I'd rather just get it new.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#5 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Maybe get a receipt with the serial number listed just in case it's been reported as stolen.

There's a built in series of simple games that you might want to try out to make sure everything works.

It'd try the camera and mic out as well.

Also I'd look for dead pixels - you can select a white background (press anywhere, select square on bottom right corner to change background colour).

If a trigger is tight and squeaks, you can fix that by loosening the trigger screws.

Avatar image for girlnamedlennon
girlnamedlennon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 girlnamedlennon
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Probably depends on where you're buying it, but just make sure you check everything out on it. See if you'll be able to return it if something is wrong. Get some fun games and enjoy =)
Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Easyle
Alright here is the auction I won: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140843405527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Anyone have suggestions for games? Thinking about Resistance, but I heard its bad, I want to get Resistance PSP on there, but for some reason the multiplayer is disabled in the PS Store version...
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

As the title says, is there anything I should know before buying it? If I buy it it comes with a 8gb stick.

Easyle

Caveat emptor. In other words: Buyer beware.

Personally I don't buy used hardware. You never know where it came from and how the previous owner treated it, and I'd rather not deal with the headache that comes with dealing with someone else's problems. So I buy new (hardware) when I can. If I can't afford it, I save until I can. I'm a pretty patient person so I tend to wait for big holidays or events (Black Friday) where you can usually score stuff at discounted prices.

What I would recommend (as someone else already pointed out) is to buy a warranty if you must buy used. You may never have to use it, but if you do, you'll sure as hell be thankful you got it. Good luck ;)

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

as for the recomended gaming purchases, Gravity rush and luminus are good choices. while not awesome, uncharted isnt bad. there are some good ports of ps3 games on the vita like the metal gear collection, disgaea 3 and ninja gaiden sigma, but if you already own them elsewhre, you wont be missing much. if motor storm RC is still free on the psn right now, you should pick that up.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
I think one of the problem with the vita is that there arent that many games to play, I don't knowif they cut down the price again but vita isn't doing that well if you compare to the psp games library. They imported some games from the psp that you can download and it could be helpful if thats what you prefer for a handheld console.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#11 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Alright here is the auction I won: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140843405527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Anyone have suggestions for games? Thinking about Resistance, but I heard its bad, I want to get Resistance PSP on there, but for some reason the multiplayer is disabled in the PS Store version...Easyle

Resistance isn't that bad. The online is limited, there's not much to do, but it's pretty fun. It takes a while, well for me at least, to get used to the controls. It just feels weird. Had to play with the Vita laying down. I paid $20.00 for the game I'd be leary to pay more.

While not rated very high, I've had fun with Aphalt Injection and Little Deviants.

A great game to download is Pinball Arcade, if you like pinball. Once you buy it, you get it for your PS3 an Vita. All the add on tables are great fun as well.

Pure Chess is a decent chess game but it has no real online (mail play only) and you can't get an overhead view like you see in the chess puzzles in the paper.

So far I've got twelve retail games and I don't think one of them is worth full retail price - I've paid $20.00 or less for them and am content with that price. Not sure where you live but where I am WalMart, FutureShop, BestBuy, usually alternate their sales and someone usually has a Vita game on sale for $20.00, so just be patient and keep an eye out if you're on a budget.

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Easyle

[QUOTE="Easyle"]

Kravyn81

Personally I don't buy used hardware. You never know where it came from and how the previous owner treated it, and I'd rather not deal with the headache that comes with dealing with someone else's problems. So I buy new (hardware) when I can. If I can't afford it, I save until I can. I'm a pretty patient person so I tend to wait for big holidays or events (Black Friday) where you can usually score stuff at discounted prices.

What I would recommend (as someone else already pointed out) is to buy a warranty if you must buy used. You may never have to use it, but if you do, you'll sure as hell be thankful you got it. Good luck ;)

Ya I totally agree with you. I usually don't spring for stuff like this, but I am getting the receipt for the system, and the two year warranty. So even if it does decide to blow up (which I am kinda hoping it does) then I can get a new one. :P
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="Easyle"]

Kravyn81

While you're right you also need to consider how long the product have been available. It's only been out half a year or so in the West so the chances that the Vita has been mis-threatet are .. rather slim tbh. But that's just my view. The best time to buy used hardware is IMO a couple of months after it has been released.
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

If you are a LBP fan, then you need to get LBPV! Only 1 week left, if you live in EU that is. Otherwise 2 weeks for US.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Buy Some Quality games that have alot of replay value, I would avoid Uncharted waste of money IMO, and while Gravity Rush is awesome after a playthrough or two you will get bored. Wipeout and Soundshapes are some decent choices, LBP Vta should be a decent purchase if more people make awesome maps for it.