Bought metal gear solid 4 today! and...

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

britishdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 britishdude360
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts

IGN, GAMESPOT they think its the best game ever, well at one point anyway, then i watched a podcast on youtube, some might of heard of it. Its called NoobToob, two guys talking about games for gamers by gamers.
im usually quite agreeable to their comments, then i watched there take on the game above and i wish i decided on it after i watched the game. but by playing it...so far i couldnt disagree more.

So these guys said the cutscenes are too much, well overdone and so far im not having a problem or finding frustration with them, story seems involving and as a past fan of previous mgs titles i can relate to all characters, so maybe from a player coming to this game before playing any of the mgs series i suppose it could dampen the dedication to the game, but im not gonna let the 45 min cutscenes bother me, i hope not anyway!

Another stupid comment they made was the movies seem to out do the gameplay as in i think they described, but dont quote me.They played like 12 hours and like 2-4 hours where gameplay, obv exaggerating a bit.
But still as ive researched the game is 30 hours long..20 hours gameplay and the rest movies, but for the price i paid, 20 hours gameplay is far sufficient considering a fair ammount of action games climax before the 10 hour mark and thats including there cutscenes.
i would of paid full price but ive only converted to the ps3 2 weeks ago from the xbox 360, not a desicion i regret, not as far as their exclusives are concerned.
And as a plus to the conversion the community seems more mature, and you guys having giving great feedback!

But yes rather then a review or a comparision to someones opinion, i want to here how you guys feel towards the game and even these guys comments, dont get me wrong their usually good, but they drink wine on there episodes and this time i think they consumed too much haha
Either way please give me yourfeeback

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

All I can say is masterpiece

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Solid_Link22
Agreed.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
There are cutscenes in the game that go to the hour mark, and the ending from final boss finish, including credits, secret ending, more credits, and more secret ending is about an hour and a half long. I didn't have a problem with it, and most people who love the MGS universe won't. The game is not quite 30 hours long, I think I beat it in like..16? It's probably a good 8 hours of movie too, haha. But you will be impressed with the game, there are some amazing scenes and set pieces and it is truly as epic as a game as ever been.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
People never mention replayability of the storymode and the pretty fun online component. I personally put about 26-28 hours in it on my first playthroug with alot of sneaking and taking as much items and secrets with me as I could find.
WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

MGS4 is like an epic movie in game form lol. the only cutscene i didnt fancy was the ending....not to spoil anything for you BUT!!!

when you are close to the ending, make sure you have some time on your hands!

when i got to the ending, my wife needed me to run to the store with her, i told her "games almost over, just a minute..." after a long while past i said "uh...pretty sure the game is almost over...just another few minutes! SORRY!!!"

she was rather annoyed and ticked lol.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

MGS4 is like an epic movie in game form lol. the only cutscene i didnt fancy was the ending....not to spoil anything for you BUT!!!

when i got to the ending, my wife needed me to run to the store with her, i told her "games almost over, just a minute..." after a long while past i said "uh...pretty sure the game is almost over...just another few minutes! SORRY!!!"

WolfBlackRiver

He could just press the PS button to pause the scenes if he needed to do something.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

you need play the other mgs to fully get the story

phoonbaba098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 phoonbaba098
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

Baah noobtoob. The same guy who hates Mgs4 loves Yakuza 3. I love Yakuza 3 too but its got almost as much cutscene/conversation time as Mgs4.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
I wish they patched trophies into the game :( it was a masterpiece and it would be great to go back and trophy hunt.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I wish they patched trophies into the game :( it was a masterpiece and it would be great to go back and trophy hunt.Totalgym9000

yeah I would spend my life getting the platnuim for it

Avatar image for jakethesnake159
jakethesnake159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 jakethesnake159
Member since 2009 • 6284 Posts

It is truly a beast of a game, i enjoyed it so much.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RustedTruck650
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

jakethesnake159

yup, Vamp would know since hes been trying to kill snake for a while now.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RustedTruck650
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

this game is beyong perfect, just dont forget to get Demons Souls(greatest hits) after finishing MGS4. Ud also love it.

n33d2skate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 n33d2skate
Member since 2009 • 5069 Posts
I like that game.
almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="WolfBlackRiver"]

Solid_Link22

He could just press the PS button to pause the scenes if he needed to do something.

actually, you could just press the start button.

the final scence consists of a number of small scences, so imagine it like you have check points. say you had to leave at like the 3rd scene, you could either press start or just turn the game off. if you turn the game off, you can restart the final scene, and then skip to the "checkpoints which are the beginning of each small scene.

basically, you can skip to the part you were at by pressins start and selecting skip.

you can also skip cutscenes, but i wouldnt suggest that cause they are all epic and awesome, and without watching them you would be lost.

MGS4 truly is a masterpiece, the cutscenes contribute to its cinematic adventure and the epicness, without them MGS would not be the same. tha gameplay is also awesome, it just needs some time to get used to, and te fact that most people who play it dont know half the moves you could do.

also, anyone who hasn played or read about the first few MGS games will not get anything that is happening, thus the cutscenes will be unbearable. some other people also leave the game after playing for a little while and having trouble with the controls, which obvously makes it sem like a bad game. thsi game definatly needs you to give it time to show you its true potential. i also noticed that the game gradually gets better as you get deeper into the game.

i suggest that everyone who has a ps3 to get MGS4, it is an awesome cinematic action adventure that will keep you hookeed till the end.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

10/10 :D

silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
there is not 20 hours of gameplay, you can finish it 10 hours on the first play through and 7 hours the next. To be honest, i was really disappointed with the length, I loved the gameplay but i have to agree with the excessive cutscenes. Once you start skipping them, then you'll realize how short the game really is
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

Isn't OP the same guy who made almost exactly the same topic about Killzone 2? oh and MGS4 is a masterpiece.. its not their fault you didn't understand the gravity of the story and just what was happening.

I hit about 30 hours my first playthrough, and 4-10 each on my subsequent 8 playthroughs.. MGO was a mess though..

legionofdugi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 legionofdugi
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Link22"]

emitsu97
Agreed.

make that a third!!
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17601 Posts
A MGS fan its a movie. This game had no meanigful gameplay mainly in ACT 1 and 2. MGO though is my fav game of all games this PS3/360 era.
Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

10/10 :D

theuncharted34
if the game would of scored 5.5 I still would of enjoyed it. its awesome.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

Solid_Link22

jakethesnake159
Same here.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soulreaper-4
People new to Metal Gear are always complaining.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
a pity alot of your ex brotheren cant see the light aswell :P lol jkz! ye its a great game , one of the greatest this gen...did u end up finishing uncharted 2 ? lol
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
A MGS fan its a movie. This game had no meanigful gameplay mainly in ACT 1 and 2. MGO though is my fav game of all games this PS3/360 era.PSP107
MGS Fan.. Return to Shadow Moses.. enough said..
Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

The game is ahead of it's time and anyone that thinks it's a bad game is retarded

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16665 Posts
I loved MGS4, I agree at times the cutsceens were to long. I work and go to school so my blocks for playing games is not always real long and if I got to a cutsceen I always worried I would not even see the whole thing before I had to leave.
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
there is not 20 hours of gameplay, you can finish it 10 hours on the first play through and 7 hours the next. To be honest, i was really disappointed with the length, I loved the gameplay but i have to agree with the excessive cutscenes. Once you start skipping them, then you'll realize how short the game really is silky_smooth8
Thing is though if they took more time to add in more gameplay time, people would complain about getting their hands on it ( the perfect example of that ATM is GT5 ) Remember how much people were complaining about delays. Although they could have put some kind of dlc in for gameplay.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
MGS4 was the weakest installment in my opinion.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

along with Uncharted 2, MGS4 is the platform-definitive title for PS3. much like the Halo franchise for 360 :)

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i just finished playing it the other day actually. its simualtaneously one of the best games and worst games of all time. gameplay=awesomeness, but continual interupting from cutscenes has left me not wanting to touch the game ever again with a horrible sour taste in my mouth after enduring it all. btw ridiculous fist battle at the end....oh well, back to MGS:Twin snakes for me :D (its rare down here in australia, never made it to the shelf, was pre-order only)

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
It's the best game for this gen.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I will forever face an internal struggle to determine whether or not MGS3 or MGS4 are my favorite games of all time.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
I loved the game. I put a good 22 hours into it first playthrough, and if it supposedly has 8 hours of cutscenes, that's still a good 14 hours gameplay. Not to mention I quite enjoyed playing MGO for a while at the beginning. Had good fun there. It's still my favourite game this gen. However the game had to deal with what I thought was crappy storytelling from MGS2, and those sections were a drag to me. Anything with relation to MGS1 and MGS3 was superb though. At the end though, I have to admit I hated the ending. And overall, the game made me appreciate MGS1 a whole lot more.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
It is a great game but not for everyone to enjoy.
britishdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 britishdude360
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts

a pity alot of your ex brotheren cant see the light aswell :P lol jkz! ye its a great game , one of the greatest this gen...did u end up finishing uncharted 2 ? lolcampzor

I finished uncharted 2, and i dont think ive ever had a bigger smile on my face after the end of the last cutsecene lol it was deeply satisfying. I also had a bash at the multiplayer,there ares some very talented players on therelol

So as you can im going through ps3 exclusives and mgs 4 is my latest outing, a guy mentioned am i the guy who created the killzone 2 topic a couple of weeks a go? i am and it really annoyed me, cant put my finger on it why, it was mostly minor points, but havent returned to it for a while, i will just cause trophies and again might grow to like it.

And yes if you have seen NoobToob guys like someone mentioned they are fairly bias especially as commented on with MW2 and yakuza 3too and they never really differ on opinions, but still there are some goodbanter andreviewsso check them out :)

And yes played mgs 4 a few more hours more last night, loving the gameplay and not minding the cutscenes too as i love a game with a good story like uncharted 2 for example and heavy rain.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
One of the things most people forget is that many of the cutscenes are interactive... you can move the robot around and fiddle with the environment, even pick up items for the game.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

One of the things most people forget is that many of the cutscenes are interactive... you can move the robot around and fiddle with the environment, even pick up items for the game. donalbane
you can only control the MKII or III in the briefing missions and it is has limited time and I wouldn't call that many.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f70a961d94
deactivated-5d3f70a961d94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 deactivated-5d3f70a961d94
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

Solid_Link22
Well said, sir.
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Link22"]

emitsu97

Agreed.

d

double agreed

xBluezx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xBluezx
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

One of the best games I've ever played. Among the greatest stories I've ever heard. The best experience playing as an old man. Coolest actions scenes I've ever witnessed. Most likely the most emotional, amazing, reminiscent, and best final boss battle I've ever fought.

Plus the game is fun to replay again, haha. :p

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6990 Posts
The thing about MGS4 is that it totally deserves the scores it got from reviewers... until you try finishing it twice. I've tried several times but I always give up because the cutscenes are just not that interesting the second time, and when you skip them all you quickly realize how little gameplay there is. The online was fun back in the day though. I'd say the game doesn't deserve more than 80% tops
Ryo57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Ryo57
Member since 2010 • 217 Posts

Yes it is a Master piece thee best game ever

Axcalay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#45 Axcalay
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts
[QUOTE="WolfBlackRiver"]

Yeah, same here, that's what sucks about long cutscenes, when you are a grownup with kids and responsibilities.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="Axcalay"][QUOTE="WolfBlackRiver"]

Yeah, same here, that's what sucks about long cutscenes, when you are a grownup with kids and responsibilities.

That's how every single Metal Gear has been.
lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

I only have two issues with this game:

1) Trophies (actually, this is not too important to me. since getting the in-game badges is already challenging enough)

2) This is a real issue to me: NO Option for a FULL GAME INSTALLATION to the hard drive. Being forced to pause and install between each chapter is way too annoying to me. That simply stops me from playing it for the 5th, 6th, 7th,,,,,,time.

Anything else? What a ride I've been through!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 8770 Posts
mastepiece 10/10 easily
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
I actually just re-bought MGS4 and im not as thrilled as I was the first 3 times beating it. I guess I have moved on, but MGS4 is quite good either way.
rooster855

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rooster855
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

Solid_Link22
this