Borderlands: What character you go with and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EABGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EABGamer
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Just picked it up and trying to get some ideas on a character i should choose. Wanna know what everyone else has been making. From what I see it looks like theres 3 different characters and 2 of the same. Been messing with the Hunter for like 30 mins now gonna go select all of them and see what feels right from the start but still interested in what people are doing.

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Laser_Hunter
Member since 2010 • 4780 Posts
I liked the chick because her power felt the most useful for my style of play. I found the Hunter to be the most difficult character to play as due to the ineffectiveness of his power.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Siren

Phasewalking is pretty great for how I play.:P I usually barge in and get shot up so being able to go invisible and get to a better area is nice.:P Her upgrades are pretty good as well!:o

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I went with Roland....not sure why...probably because I'm a Dark Tower fanatic :P

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Snipin' all the way! But yeah, I played as the hunter (his name is messed up so I didn't bother remember it). His talents are sweet for sniping and killing streaks (single target though), and his birdie can hit real hard. Still gotta finish me some DLC's though ^^

TheFLCLPope88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheFLCLPope88
Member since 2003 • 2172 Posts

I like playing as Brick, rushing into crowds & punching things in a near god mode like state is awesome. :lol:

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aux99
Member since 2011 • 1689 Posts

Siren because of her phasewalk

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

I went with the soldier Roland initially, mostly because I preferred sticking with rifles and machine guns over the rest of the weapons. I had a blast with all four of them though.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I went with the girl because no one ever wants to be a girl in games.. It's like Res5 all lobbies are chris not sheva.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
I liked the chick because her power felt the most useful for my style of play. I found the Hunter to be the most difficult character to play as due to the ineffectiveness of his power.Laser_Hunter
actually hunter was the best character imo , his main skill was to penetrate shield causing direct damage , even the bird wasnt that bad when upgraded but you are supposed to shoot when playing as him not sending a bird to do the job for you :D
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I've played the game through with Lilith (2x), Roland (3x) and Mordecai.

Lilith and Roland feel like they are pretty equal in terms of utility of their abilities.

If you like fast and overly aggressive gameplay I'd say go with Lilith.

If you prefer slower, more technical gameplay, I'd say go with Roland.

Morde's ability felt useless later on. Unless you just have a fetish for older men, I'd say stay away from him. :P

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

Morde's ability felt useless later on. Unless you just have a fetish for older men, I'd say stay away from him. :P

commonfate

actually hunter is the best character for ranged damage , for finding rare items , he can penetrate shields , very useful on soldiers and eridians , i played with all characters but he was easily the best to play with , i didnt use the bird at all though , if you have a good developed hunter hes better then any other class imo

Avatar image for deactivated-612f22347aa10
deactivated-612f22347aa10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-612f22347aa10
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Mordecai was my prefered character but I tend to gravitate to the sniper classes in most games. I liked the combination of a heavy pistol and long range weapons.
Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Roland for me. Not only does his turret act as a great diversion, later on it deals out massive damage.

I went with Roland....not sure why...probably because I'm a Dark Tower fanatic :P

J-Man725

Same here. Did you know King's writing another one?

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Roland for me. Not only does his turret act as a great diversion, later on it deals out massive damage.

[QUOTE="J-Man725"]

Katzenbalger

Same here. Did you know King's writing another one?

Yea, I'm really looking forward to it.

They were going to make a movie adaptation as well, but I think it's been cancelled.

Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Yea, I'm really looking forward to it.

They were going to make a movie adaptation as well, but I think it's been cancelled.

J-Man725

Yeah. I heard they were planning a trilogy, with a mini-series to accompany it that would cover all seven books, with Javier Bardem as Roland. Apparently it got too expensive for the planned budget, so the studio dropped it.

That sucks since i was interested in seeing how it would have turned out.

~

Back on topic, while my preference is for Roland and his fancy turret, a lot of people i play online with go for Lilith, since she's better suited for the elemental bonuses the better weapons have. One reckons he managed to kill Crawmerax with Lilith alone by abusing phase walk, so if that's true she's pretty good i guess.

The only other character i tried was Brick, but i thought his berserk ability wasn't particularly useful (considering most enemies gun you down when you get within their sights) and i never found rocket launchers to be particularly effective.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Im playing through as the soldier for my first time. Wanting to get through the game and get some of my back log cleared before all the sequels start hitting.. and now they've announced Borderlands 2.
Jack_Force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Jack_Force
Member since 2007 • 2693 Posts
Lilith was my main because I prefer speedy characters, rowland is a good team player and good for solo i guess, brick is fun as well as getting the explosive bonuses, and mordacai is the best character of all for pure killing power especially if you love revolvers or snipers, bird is kinda fun to use but his other trees beat it.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Lilith cause cause she's a girl and she has Phasewalk :3

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

Sorry to go slightly off topic and I did post this already in the recomendations thread but I'm thinking you guys will be able to help me out.

Do I pay a little extra for the game of the year addition with the 4 add on packs or do I just go with the basic version and save a few pennies?

So yeah, what are the add ons like, are they essential or even worth having at all?

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Sorry to go slightly off topic and I did post this already in the recomendations thread but I'm thinking you guys will be able to help me out.

Do I pay a little extra for the game of the year addition with the 4 add on packs or do I just go with the basic version and save a few pennies?

So yeah, what are the add ons like, are they essential or even worth having at all?

Azzurri22

Unless you particularly care about getting trophies I would stay away from Underdome and Claptrap Revolution.

Underdome is just the arena on a larger scale, with no xp per kill and maybe some decent guns if you do the 2 hour + runs (not an exaggeration)

Claptrap is more Borderlands fun but cept for a few hours of some story questing and some funny Claptrap moments, generally a huge collect-a-thon.

Zombie Island is a lot of fun. Got a lot of quests to keep you busy. Even for someone like me who generally detests zombies in gaming found it a lot of fun.

Secret Armory gives you the most bang for your buck and is a lot of fun. Loads of quests, plus raising the level cap, plus the hardest boss in the game. Definitely worth it.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Lilith-- she becomes Death itself at higher levels

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Siren (Lillith) Her Phasewalk is insane when fully upgraded and she can also boost the effects of her elemental weaponry which, if used right, can turn her into an unstoppable killing machine that far overpowers any of the other characters. I also liked the Sniper though, he contains the ability to completely penetrate through enemy shields (which is, imo, the best ability in the game for me).
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

Roland/soldier for me, uses SMG/rifles most, the turret is very useful as it creates a place where you can get cover and it fires, getting aggro sometimes (including against bosses, even final boss), and even produces ammo and heals back life after some time

really they are very different : Mordecai is sniper, Brick is close contact, Lilith is stealth, Roland is varied (I had a SMG doing huge damage with shotgun like spreading 7 shots with 2 levels of scope, thus almost a sniper)

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Sniper for me. I thought his hawk was worthless later on though. But my play style is to shoot from a distance. I had some great sniper rifles and smg's with 4.2 x zoom in.
Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

[QUOTE="Azzurri22"]

commonfate

Unless you particularly care about getting trophies I would stay away from Underdome and Claptrap Revolution.

Underdome is just the arena on a larger scale, with no xp per kill and maybe some decent guns if you do the 2 hour + runs (not an exaggeration)

Claptrap is more Borderlands fun but cept for a few hours of some story questing and some funny Claptrap moments, generally a huge collect-a-thon.

Zombie Island is a lot of fun. Got a lot of quests to keep you busy. Even for someone like me who generally detests zombies in gaming found it a lot of fun.

Secret Armory gives you the most bang for your buck and is a lot of fun. Loads of quests, plus raising the level cap, plus the hardest boss in the game. Definitely worth it.

Thanks for the detailed response man, I'm definitely leaning towards the GOTY version. I'll be back here to nominate my favourite character when I've got the game.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I'd go and stick with Roland for sure. Why? Roland's easy to use!

takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#29 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

I went with the soldier class (Roland) since his character type was the most I enjoy I( am more of a gunning and gunning type)

kegashi979797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kegashi979797
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts

After playing each class to level 10 i decided I liked the hunter the best, so that is who I play as most often, I also really like the siren though, mainly because of her phasewalking.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

I play Brick because I like the tank role in RPG's. The Hunter would be my second choice for the ability to shoot through shields, which makes more challenging enemies a cakewalk compared to other roles.

Avatar image for phantom_blade66
phantom_blade66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#32 phantom_blade66
Member since 2009 • 930 Posts

I've played through all four so got a good feel for each one of them.

Roland was my first and favorite, rifles, machine guns, and shotguns were all that I needed. Even though his skill tree is perfect for upgrading all weapons so snipers and handguns got used just as often once I hit the DLC

Mordecai and Lilith I both enjoyed as well. If your playing the hunter mordecai I wouldn't bother with hisbird Bloodwing if I were you. Upgrade your gunslinger and sniper skill trees right away and you'll be set for anything.

Brick got shafted in this game because rocket launchers don't do the damage that they should, wasn't a fan of him at all.

TheFLCLPope88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheFLCLPope88
Member since 2003 • 2172 Posts

Brick got shafted in this game because rocket launchers don't do the damage that they should, wasn't a fan of him at all.

phantom_blade66

I use him as berserker; put some points in Iron fist, Heavy handed, & Juggernaut. Use his ability as soon as it becomes available & rush in, you'll just steamroll through enemies. :lol: