Blu-Ray on non-HD tv?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gww490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 gww490
Member since 2003 • 5584 Posts

I'm considering buying a PS3, especially because of the blu-ray capabilities. Is it possible to hook the PS3 up to a normal TV and watch blu-ray discs? I know the quality won't be near as good, but will it work? Or do I have to use the HDMI hook-up for blu-ray?

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
some discs may have SD functionality? but they shouldn't work. I think a few of my HD-DVD's has SD versions on discs that would work on SD.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

You could play it by connecting your PS3 with analog, but it would be almost pointless. It'll be the pretty much the same quality as DVD (except if you have a home sound system to hook it up, then the sound would be much better), and it'll cost more.

You can get a PS3 for games if you have SD, but without a HDTV, blu-ray is practically useless.

Anyway, TVs aren't that expensive anymore. You can get a decent one for 500$ in a sale.

edited for bluntness.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

You could play it by connecting your PS3 with analog, but it would be completely pointless. It'll be the same quality as DVD (except if you have a home sound system to hook it up, then the sound would be much better), and it'll cost more.

You can get a PS3 for games if you have SD, but without a HDTV, blu-ray is practically useless.

Anyway, TVs aren't that expensive anymore. You can get a decent one for 500$ in a sale.

RavenLoud
That's not what TC is asking. What if someone is bringing their PS3 to a friends house to watch some blu-rays. Also the the blu-ray version will still have the bigger memory and stuff.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#5 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

bluray works in sd ,

has to or wont be the replacment for dvds,

it just wont be ne different then dvds but once dvds are stopped , that wont matter since we wont have no choice but to use it i played my twister br on a 13 inch just about a month ago good picture but,

not as good as on a hd tobe expected

the only real reason bluray exist is its non scratchable disc

i dont care for the hd part of it igame on a hd tv and a sd ,,

that dont bother me

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

You could play it by connecting your PS3 with analog, but it would be completely pointless. It'll be the same quality as DVD (except if you have a home sound system to hook it up, then the sound would be much better), and it'll cost more.

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

all hdtvs do the same thing i got my 19 in vizio for 179 at walmart in asale right now this same tv is 249,99 ,youcan get 22 inchs for less but this one i got is decent still and does 1080 p my 800 samsung doesnt even do 1080 p and is a32 inch only advantage it hasis when playing games in componant mode you can watch tv at the same time by pip other then that it all depends on tv not size not price
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Yes they work on an SDTV. Before I got my HDTV I bought a couple Blu-ray movies and they worked just fine and looked noticeably better than DVDs even on my little 20" SDTV. Obviously nowhere near the same quality you get on an HDTV but I could still see a difference.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RavenLoud

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

paradigm68

That's not what TC is asking. What if someone is bringing their PS3 to a friends house to watch some blu-rays. Also the the blu-ray version will still have the bigger memory and stuff.

He asked if it will work, I answered him and gave him my opinion :|

Thanks for the heads up, but read the post completely.

sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts

why get blu ray if it's not HD. That's the whole point. Just buy normal DVD's.

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts

I still have a SD tv and Blu-Rays work fine on it. They don't look as great aas they should, but they still work.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

[QUOTE="paradigm68"][QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

RavenLoud

He asked if it will work, I answered him and gave him my opinion :|

Thanks for the heads up, but read the post completely.

"but it would be completely pointless" is what I was referring to.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RavenLoud
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"] all hdtvs do the same thing i got my 19 in vizio for 179 at walmart in asale right now this same tv is 249,99 ,youcan get 22 inchs for less but this one i got is decent still and does 1080 p my 800 samsung doesnt even do 1080 p and is a32 inch only advantage it hasis when playing games in componant mode you can watch tv at the same time by pip other then that it all depends on tv not size not price

I'm not sure I'm following you. Yes it depends on the TV, but the said TV is also linked with the size and the price. Resolution is not the only thing that affects picture quality. With poor contrast, bad black level and transparencies, a bigger TV will look worse than a smaller one with better overall features but with lower resolution. The size is not that important once you have 35" + IMO, however if the screen is smaller than 25", you might need to sit closer to the TV`monitor, that can be bad for your eyes. PS: You should edit out that triple quote.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RavenLoud
[QUOTE="paradigm68"] "but it would be completely pointless" is what I was referring to.

Ah I see, you're right, it wouldn't be completly pointless. However, there won't be any need for him to use blu-ray when he can get DVD for cheap. Although the extra scratch resistance in BR disks is nice :P
gww490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 gww490
Member since 2003 • 5584 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the responses! Here's why I ask: I am mostly making the switch to blu-ray when the LOST complete collection comes out. I want to be able to buy these and not have to replace them in a few years because they're outdated. So I want to buy those in blu-ray, but only one of my TVs is HD and it's like a 22" or something like that. I have a bigger non-HDTV and I want to be able to watch LOST (and others, if I buy them) on whatever TV I want. Does that make sense? Of course I will eventually buy a bigger HDTV to replace my big SDTV and then make the complete transition to Blu-Ray, but for now I'm simply planning for the future.