Blu-Ray laser broken - now what?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

What's up guys, sad day today as my 2 and a bit year old PS3 kicked the bucket... Whilst playing some Fifa11 online it froze and now refuses to read any games, however does read DVD's... Does anyone know what the procedure is from here with Sony? Any ideas about prices for a replacement model / fix my current PS3?

I feel like a part of me has died - please help?

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
do you have the receipt? is it still under warranty? if so, they should fix it for free. if not, last time i checked, it's $150 for repairs. i don't think there's really any other way around that. when it's dying, it's dying.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Just had to get a slim. Basically your PS3 is now a PS2 with an HDD.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
just call their support line. if you decide to do the repair, they'll send you a box, wait a few days, then put your broken ps3 in it, mail it, then just wait a week or two and you should have it back.
Secret-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Secret-Face
Member since 2011 • 223 Posts
You can buy a replacement laser if you want, or just pick up another console.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="GnR-SLaSh"]

What's up guys, sad day today as my 2 and a bit year old PS3 kicked the bucket... Whilst playing some Fifa11 online it froze and now refuses to read any games, however does read DVD's... Does anyone know what the procedure is from here with Sony? Any ideas about prices for a replacement model / fix my current PS3?

Buy a new drive off of ebay, and swap the drive board from your dead drive to the new drive, pop it in and you're good to go. It's an easy process. Google it for more info, there are tons of guides available online. Just be careful with the ribbon cable connections, and make sure you're VERY careful with the small black and red wire on the drive. It's really thin and can break easily...
justhat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justhat1
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

its time to upgrade,the money you will spend fixing it might as well buy a new one.

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="GnR-SLaSh"]

i_noseworthy

Buy a new drive off of ebay, and swap the drive board from your dead drive to the new drive, pop it in and you're good to go. It's an easy process. Google it for more info, there are tons of guides available online. Just be careful with the ribbon cable connections, and make sure you're VERY careful with the small black and red wire on the drive. It's really thin and can break easily...

Agree, very easy to just swap the drive with a new one and doesn't cost much. IF that's the only problem your ps3 has

Check here if interrested