Beyond Two Souls Dissapointing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Phantasm
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

It’s hard to review this since it’s more of a movie than a video game…consisting of more cutscenes and story than any other game I've ever played before...most of the time you are looking for a little white dot so you can pull the joysticks and move on to the next story point. As a gaming experience it's one of the worst I've had, but as a storyline it's a 10 out of 10! I played it simply because Ellen Page (who I had a crush on but made me sad when she came out as a lesbian this month) and Willem Defoe make such a great plot work well, just kind of wish this was a movie and that the sequences were not back and forth in Jodie's (Page's character) script. Overall, well worth playing if only for the top notch storytelling.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I love the visuals and the story. When I played this game, I never felt like I was not in control of the character. It was everything I expected and better than Heavy rain (which I loved also).

But of course not everyone is going to like it. Especially quick time event games, a lot of people hate them.

LE5LO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 LE5LO
Member since 2010 • 140 Posts

@phantasm:

"It's hard to review this since it's more of a movie than a video game, consisting of more cutscenes and story than any other game I've ever played before"

Have you ever played Metal Gear Solid 4? I think it has roughly 10 hours of cutscenes from memory, and roughly a few hours of gameplay. Beyond: Two Souls has nothing on that in terms of how long you go without actually touching the controller, that game literally has huge bits to it that more resemble a film than anything in this game.

Anyway, I agree, the story was excellent. I definitely don't wish it was a movie instead though! The over-arching story was well suited to something you'd see in a film and not in a game but the beauty of it being a game is that a lot of us would have had different feelings to certain events, and likely responded to choices differently as a result, specifically the...

*SPOILER*

...birthday party scene. I just let the other kids walk all over me.

Overall, I played through the entire game pretty passively, but it felt right to me. I love that if I'm having a bad day though and I go back through it again ( just like 'Heavy Rain') it could be an entirely different experience and I could vent some frustration by going 'Carrie' on everyone to see what it feels like plus see what I missed the first time around. That interaction with the narrative is always a nice option to have. I'm yet to see a film that can give you such a bi-polar change in emotions towards it from one viewing to the next, perhaps something like 'Fight Club', 'A Beautiful Mind' or 'Memento' where the entire context is different on a second viewing...I don't know? I'm glad it was a game though!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

I love the visuals and the story. When I played this game, I never felt like I was not in control of the character. It was everything I expected and better than Heavy rain (which I loved also).

But of course not everyone is going to like it. Especially quick time event games, a lot of people hate them.

Yeah I really enjoyed it too (as I did Heavy Rain). But it's not for everyone obviously.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

I never got to see it when it was theaters sadly. I'll check it out when it comes to blu-ray, hoping for a special feature where David Cage rants about video games not being innovative.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Beyond Two Souls was a great game with a really well done story. It may have had one of the best stories that I had played through in a video game, and I have played alot of them. It also seems to be the best looking game on the PS3.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@ghstbstr said:
It also seems to be the best looking game on the PS3.

I started replaying it a few weeks ago and I totally forgot I wasn't playing my ps4. Looks like it could be a next gen game.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

I didn't like it as much as heavy rain, but it was still really good. david cage has a really bad habit with letting his stories go a little too crazy towards the end tho

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Yes, its not for everybody, but its good to see the interactive story genre growing. Mystery-Puzzle games need more play in the gaming world. All the FPS out there are so same old cookie cutter. At least Beyond was something different from the norm. The director of Heavy Rain & Beyond does seem a little creepy and should make more games with female protags.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I love these types of games QTEs or not. I hope this generation brings more of them.

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

Not dissapointing really if you know what you're getting into with the kind of game that it is. I did like Heavy Rain better because characters could actually be killed, and I was interested in it's thriller like murder movie script more than Beyond's paranormal activity premise. I do like Beyond though. Graphically I think it's probably the best the PS3 has to offer next to God of War Ascension and Last of Us.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coolyfett

@ghstbstr said:

Beyond Two Souls was a great game with a really well done story. It may have had one of the best stories that I had played through in a video game, and I have played alot of them. It also seems to be the best looking game on the PS3.

Read you only play for the girl and her dead brother, not like in Heavy Rain, where you play for 4 different character including the villain??

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I actually really enjoyed it, they captured ellen page wonderfully well. The QTEs are actually interesting because you match your actions with the movements. Rather than just pressing random buttons to create an action. It's not consistently good though, some sequences are weak either coz they are too short or because they feature lame gameplay elements that missed their intended target (cia training). But I found the story really interesting and consistent with its themes. The sub stories were diverse and I never felt bored. I would rate beyond and heavy rain about the same, imo heavy rain is slightly overrated and beyond is underrated.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Gamers who brought the wrong expectations to Beyond TS are the ones that had trouble enjoying the game. There are a ton of unhappy, control-freak gamers out there who, if they don't have complete control of everything in a game, just can't seem to enjoy a piece of entertainment for what it is and are always bemoaning what they think it should have been.

Personally, I enjoyed the game as its highs were stronger than its lows . . .

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It looks interesting, but i really doubt that i am going to pay a lot for it. If i am going to play it, it's going to be for the story

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

It looks interesting, but i really doubt that i am going to pay a lot for it. If i am going to play it, it's going to be for the story

I will get it around 19.99. Tbh I'd rather play Heavy Rain again but do crazy things to get different endings and scenes lol

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I will get it around 19.99. Tbh I'd rather play Heavy Rain again but do crazy things to get different endings and scenes lol

Same here or on a sale

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Same here or on a sale

Yeah mos def. I rented Heavy Rain and I did enjoy it a lot, but for the price it is now I would love to own it and replay it constantly. Back then when it was 59.99, nooooo lol.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I thought it was worse than Heavy Rain aside from Ellen Page's acting. I miss the more elaborate controls, and greatly preferred the story told from 3 different perspectives in a desperate race to save that boy. Just my take on it. I thought Beyond was below average... but Ellen Page was great. Hated the ending though.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

I enjoyed the game, just wish the QTEs were more like Heavy Rain. The random slow motion thing was a bit weird.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@donalbane:

Yeah, agree with you there. The ending did fall flat, a big build up to something a bit meh.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

In truth, I spent the entirety of Beyond Two Souls wishing I was playing Heavy Rain again. I was really disappointed with it and in particular didn't like how the narrative was all jumbled up.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Coolyfett

@marcheegsr said:

Have you played the game they had on PS2, heard that was a really good game as well. Coolyfett wishes Playstation would put it on the PSN store.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

indigo prophecy... :)

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#24 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

It pained me to finish the game whilst the game did look nice TLOU graphics and acting were miles better. I just didn't like the constant switching of times in her life and the fact you couldn't die or fail thats mostly what a videogame is about.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ chocolate1325

Well to be Fair.... Beyond is definately not a Video Game in the traditional sense. Its a Story, and you can't faill in a story, nor is a story challenging to experience. If you could fail, Imagine doing that burning building QTE sequence 6 times to get it right. It would make it a better video game but a worse story. If you're a total gamer then Quantic's Dreams are not for you.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I bought Heavy Rain, never beat it and gave it to my nephew... graphics are one thing but don't make a great game. I hate the button sequence nonsense, it's bad enough in mini games but to build and entire game around that concept is beyond stupid, pun intended. I'll probably never play this game.