Best story emotion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Most games have pretty good stories but since all of us are different we all like different things in a story. So what story emotion or type of story element (humor, suspense, despair) do you enjoy the most? Personally I vasilate between different characteristics, most of the time humor is what I pefer the most.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is probably the go-to story for me. It handled humor in a way that I wasn't familiar with at the time and nearly died when the Prism Rangers appeared. Disgaea 3 was full of humor as well but it felt almost forced at certain points.

HushRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 HushRong
Member since 2008 • 13183 Posts

i like it when there is betrayal...because two friends/force/etc are going to have to throwdown in an epic battle.

nothing gets better than that

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

i definitely like complexity... when all kinds of elements such as suspense/romance/despair/humor/etc. are joined in a perfect balance... think Xenogears (well that's my opinion at least) i can't say i prefer a single type of emotion to drive the story... if it's executed well, regardless of the genre, i will most likely enjoy it.

But, if i truly have to pick a nucleus (i.e. a central emotion around which the entire story bult) it would go with suspense... i like a good twist and turn here and there... sprinkle in some humor and romance and you got yourself a great package :) (naturally, the suspenseful story has to be interestingto begin with; simply being suspenseful doesn't make it great, but that wasn't the point of your post TC, so i'm not going to dwell into the merits of a good story any further)

(edited due to formatting issues)

AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

it's one of the most common, but i love a good revenge story.

The Darkness did it so well that by the end of the game I really felt everything Jackie should have been feeling. Truly an amazing game in my opinion.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

I'd say despair because I loved Killzone 2's ending. I didn't see it coming, probably becauseI beat it in one sitting and was really tired.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I prefer despair most of the time.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zidaneski

i definitely like complexity... when all kinds of elements such as suspense/romance/despair/humor/etc. are joined in a perfect balance... think Xenogears (well that's my opinion at least) i can't say i prefer a single type of emotion to drive the story... if it's executed well, regardless of the genre, i will most likely enjoy it.

But, if i truly have to pick a nucleus (i.e. a central emotion around which the entire story bult) it would go with suspense... i like a good twist and turn here and there... sprinkle in some humor and romance and you got yourself a great package :) (naturally, the suspenseful story has to be interestingto begin with; simply being suspenseful doesn't make it great, but that wasn't the point of your post TC, so i'm not going to dwell into the merits of a good story any further)

Rakuho

I don't know what my point was anymore. I've just been watching a few movies recently and I heard the new Transformers movie isn't all its cracked up to be. But thats an all-out action movie. Sometimes thats what some of us want. Videogames usually don't focus on one emotion so my question now is what grabs our attention more in a story and make us say it was a good story or a great scene?

I remember playing Prince of Persia and the witty repartee is what made me love the story especially when the Prince laments over his close obtaining of thick carpets, lol.

yoda4ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yoda4ps3
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts

Shockers just out of nowhere ZOMG WTF DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN??

This is my favorite

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rakuho

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]

Zidaneski

I don't know what my point was anymore. I've just been watching a few movies recently and I heard the new Transformers movie isn't all its cracked up to be. But thats an all-out action movie. Sometimes thats what some of us want. Videogames usually don't focus on one emotion so my question now is what grabs our attention more in a story and make us say it was a good story or a great scene?

I remember playing Prince of Persia and the witty repartee is what made me love the story especially when the Prince laments over his close obtaining of thick carpets, lol.

the second phase i see... very well :)

in terms of the overall story, what makes it great are those conversation between main characters... when they first meet, their conflicts amongst themselves and how they react to each others' struggles, or simply their random conversations that exude their unique personalities... all of these things and more make me appreciate the story... and if everything is in a great balance, i no longer even need to care what the ultimate objective of the game is, all i would care for is how these characters (or character) will interact with the world they are set in and how they push themselves toward that final goal... the journey is the prize, so to speak. I'm an rpg guy, so i tend to have some standards when it comes to stories :lol:

in terms of specifics, there are way too many great moments that made think to myself " I'm glad i'm playing this game." Not to say that this is something i have to realize consciously; on the contrary, often times you don't even notcie how a game draws you in to a point where you feel true joy... These days i can settle for half of that joy that i used to get during the psx days...

SamAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 SamAxe
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts

I'm a story guy. All I ask for in a game is if the story is good and if the game is fun to play, other than that, I really don't care. Kudos if its got a great multiplayer, that's fun too, but as long as the story and game is fun, I could care less if the multiplayer sucked or not. I guess what I'm trying to say I really don't have a specific "type" or "emotion" I like in these stories, just as long as it's some what orginal (hard these days :( ) and is good. Prime example, BioShock. Riveting story and fun to play, the perfect game imo.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I love a good story. The half-Life games really brought that for me. Same thing with the Condemned series. I like Emotion but not so much that it is depressing to play. I need the right mix of action/Emotion/Romance to be amazing.
CyberRuler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CyberRuler
Member since 2006 • 789 Posts

I love betrayal, revenge, and tragic stories. Games with stories like The Darkness and Call of Juarez really get me. Stories ending with despair can be great at times as well but sometimes they can feel out of place.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rakuho

I love betrayal, revenge, and tragic stories. Games with stories like The Darkness and Call of Juarez really get me. Stories ending with despair can be great at times as well but sometimes they can feel out of place.

CyberRuler

do you like it when revenge is carried out or if the character has a change of heart or something impedes his/her motives (e.g. friendship, love, insuffiecient amount of balls for lack of a better term :lol:...)?

i say fully carried-out revenge is a breath of fresh air these days :P

eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

tbh if theres a sad part in a game....man it hits me lol i really stop playing a game if the story is turning out really sad, but after a few weeks i decide its time and then i complete the game, sadness/despair is the best emotion in a game (im not an emo!!!!)

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
I like a good plot twist that leaves me shocked. Dead Space, for example... [spoiler] When suddenly you find out that Kendra betrays you...what a *****!! [/spoiler] Also, humor is really good to see in a game. I have a great sense of humor, so to see it in a game is great. It's very rare for the most part too, not too many games succeed in having good honest humor. Sure, there's silly jokes here and there in a lot of games, but hardly anything that really makes you lol for real.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
I like a good and tasteful balance of them all. I prefer as much drama as possible, but with some tasteful humor thrown in for good measure. I like "Oh Snap" moments. If something completely unpredictable turns up in a story its an instant classic for me (most of the time. Haze still sucks, though). I like stories that really focus in on each character and their background and making them come alive. These are all things you can find in my favorite gaming series of all time: Metal Gear Solid. None pull it off better. However, some of Kojima's quirky humore does overstep the bounderies of what I consider tasteful.. but its still great! To sum it all up: Lots o' drama, with a dash o' humor, and a big ol' heling of "Oh SNAP!" = Epic.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nephilim83

tbh if theres a sad part in a game....man it hits me lol i really stop playing a game if the story is turning out really sad, but after a few weeks i decide its time and then i complete the game, sadness/despair is the best emotion in a game (im not an emo!!!!)

eo_the_shaman
Sadness is great for a video game. Why? Because when a video game can make you wanna cry you know its a good story (or you are just playing Haze and it breaks your heart to see a PS3 game suck). When I think of sadness in a video game the first thing that comes to mind is FF7. ****SPOILER**** Sephiroth kills Aeris... Oh, man, I was sitting there trying to fight the boss right after that with that sad @$$ music still playing and crying my freaking eyes out! :cry: I was twelve then, but that feeling has stayed with me. Since I downloaded that game I've only played the first few hours, and as soon as I heard that music my heart sunk. Another game that comes to mind is Kingdom Hearts. All Sora wants is to get his friends back. :(
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I like the humour which was presented in Uncharted.

I also like lots of suspense, like in a horror game. :)

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="eo_the_shaman"]

Nephilim83

Sadness is great for a video game. Why? Because when a video game can make you wanna cry you know its a good story (or you are just playing Haze and it breaks your heart to see a PS3 game suck). When I think of sadness in a video game the first thing that comes to mind is FF7. ****SPOILER**** Sephiroth kills Aeris... Oh, man, I was sitting there trying to fight the boss right after that with that sad @$$ music still playing and crying my freaking eyes out! :cry: I was twelve then, but that feeling has stayed with me. Since I downloaded that game I've only played the first few hours, and as soon as I heard that music my heart sunk. Another game that comes to mind is Kingdom Hearts. All Sora wants is to get his friends back. :(

Awwww now that reminds me off the ending of Crisis core with all his flashbacks at the end.

What about romance...usually its always a 3-way war (also know as shipping) in tv shows, movies, and anime. But for videogames it doesn't seem to play that big of a role. Is it because most gamers dislike it does it just not work in videogames. Romance I have only seen as really focused on in Squaresoft games and Kingdom Hearts.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="eo_the_shaman"]

Awwww now that reminds me off the ending of Crisis core with all his flashbacks at the end.

What about romance...usually its always a 3-way war (also know as shipping) in tv shows, movies, and anime. But for videogames it doesn't seem to play that big of a role. Is it because most gamers dislike it does it just not work in videogames. Romance I have only seen as really focused on in Squaresoft games and Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, I really don't get the lack of Romance in games. Final Fantasy 8 has my favorite video game love scene ever where Rinoa is lost in space and Squall comes along to save her and they float around holding eachother to that soft love song....... Oh, so dreamy. :P FF 10, The Darkness, and MGS3 also come to mind when I think of video game romance. I'm not sure which romance was better in MGS3; Naked Snake and Eva or Naked Snake and The Boss (not so much a romance, but the unspoke love he had for her as a person was overwhelming. I cried.......... Seriously).
NIkoscho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#21 NIkoscho
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

Mmmm... Final Fantasy X was sad one , Covenant Shadow Hearts too have a great story,but most emotional maybe is Digital Devil Saga's many death,so many sadness.

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#22 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

Most games have pretty good stories but since all of us are different we all like different things in a story. So what story emotion or type of story element (humor, suspense, despair) do you enjoy the most? Personally I vasilate between different characteristics, most of the time humor is what I pefer the most.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is probably the go-to story for me. It handled humor in a way that I wasn't familiar with at the time and nearly died when the Prism Rangers appeared. Disgaea 3 was full of humor as well but it felt almost forced at certain points.

Zidaneski

Ditto

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
deactivated-5bc291bf3d647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
Member since 2009 • 6466 Posts

i like games when ur character gets mad or angry and u geet crazy powers.....

Avatar image for StephenBassford
StephenBassford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 StephenBassford
Member since 2004 • 889 Posts

I always love David and Goliath type stories.

An unlikely hero that defeats the big ole badguy.

A good example is little Link thrusting his sword through ganon's head (wind waker).

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

The Kingdom Hearts series is my all time favorite videogame story ever. It has tons of complexity, and it centers around human behaviors and human nature such as whether humans are naturally good/evil etc. Friendship and power are also important issues.

After KH1, I didn't think it could get any better, but KH2 trumped it with the Nobodies which are what's left after a person loses their heart to darkness (essentially, empty shells). They have no emotions, but they strive more than anything to be whole and have a true human experience once more. But since they're only faking their emotions, you can't tell - they might just be out for power.

Both games have an interesting philosophical touch, and the bonds between their immensely well-developed and deep characters left an impression on me like no other game. It's quite touching, and even the weapons (keyblades) play a role in the story/philosophy.

I could go on forever, but I don't want to get into spoilers and whatnot, so I'll stop here.

XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts

thats tough but with you're take on disgaea I kind of agree with you... not to be stereotypical when I say this but many japanese games especially the MGS series have just amazing stories with depth, character building, and odd but funny humor occasionally thrown in... I know disgaea has more direction towards humor though and I haven't played them a whole lot since it can take you months to even beat the game... but anyways, yeah I go with MGS type stories I guess.