Best Audio settings for Home Theater Setup? Linear PCM vs. Bitstream, etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pgharavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

User Lists: 0

#1 pgharavi
Member since 2003 • 446 Posts

Hello,

I have a fairly decent HDTV and 5.1 surround sound setup. It supports ARC, DD, DTS, etc. Everything is setup via HDMI.

One thing I'm confused about is whether I should be usingLinear PCMor usingBitstream.

I ask because - when playing PS3 games - if I use Linear PCM, my reciever shows the rather generic "Multichannel Output 5.1" but if I use Bitstream, I get either "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" on the reciever's screen.

Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

From a Bluray forum, basically explains that if you use HDMI you should use Linear PCM for lossless audio.

If the PS3 setting is set to "Linear" it will decode the lossless audio (Hi-Def audio which is 6 times more detailed than ANY AUDIO TRACK on ANY DVD) and send it out as a PCM signal (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA, everything!). Now, if you have an HDMI cable running that signal, all is good. You will get the lossless audio no porblems so long as your receiver can handle multichannel PCM. If you are using an optical cable, the cable can only handle the PCM signal as a 2.0 stereo signal. Therefore, since the PS3 is sending the lossless audio as PCM, the cable will downmix the signal to 2.0 stereo.

If the PS3 setting is set to "Bitstream" it will not decode anything. It will try to send the signal as is to the receiver so that the receiver can do the work. If an HDMI cable is used, there will be problems. The PS3 cannot bitstream LOSSLESS audio via HDMI cable. It will play the lossless core tracks as their lossy DVD counterparts (Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1). Likewise, an optical cable will do the same thing... UNLESS THE AUDIO TRACK SELECTED ON THE DISC IS A LINEAR PCM TRACK. Again, that PCM signal will be downmixed to a 2.0 stereo signal.

So, bottom line is, with the PS3 set the audio output to "Linear" when using an HDMI cable. Set it to "Bitstream" when using an optical cable.

pgharavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pgharavi
Ok thanks. Just one more question: why does it not show up as using DTS or DD5.1 when using Linear PCM Multichannel?
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
PCM all the way. PCM > Dolby DIgital/DTS....PCM ftW!!! Have a Google search. You'll see that PCM is uncompressed pure sound. If your receiver is saying it's outputting PCM then it's all good :)
egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 egger7577
Ok thanks. Just one more question: why does it not show up as using DTS or DD5.1 when using Linear PCM Multichannel?pg23
Because the PS3 is already decoding the signal into a lossless uncompressed format. It set to bitstream, the audio is outputted to the receiver and the reciever does the decoding which I why you will see DTS. However, like my previous comment stated, you will not have uncompressed audio, only basic DTS or Dolby Digital. Stick with PCM for Bluray using DTS HDMA and Dolby TrueHD for the best audio experience.
pgharavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pgharavi
Got it. Interestingly enough, PS3 games always show as "Multichannel PCM 5.1" on my receiver whereas Buray movies, even though I've still set everything to Linear PCM as you advised, will show "DTS-MA" or "DD-HD" (or some variation of those) on the receiver.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
If you are going through a digital optical cable select bitstream.
egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 egger7577

That's weird that it's showing that because mine never does but DTS HD MA and Dolby True High def is what you want to see.

pgharavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pgharavi

Got it, thanks.

Oldgregg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oldgregg99
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I need some clarification on audio output settings for my setup and equipment. First, my set up. I have a PS3 connected to my sharp led tv via HDMI and my tv is connected to my Bose cinemate series ii via optical cable. My TV (assumably) supports Dolby Digital Plus (has logo on it and digital optical out), and the bose cinemate series ii supports either PCM stereo or DD up to DD 5.1. My question is what is the best audio and video setup from my PS3. Right now it's set up as audio output HDMI automatic which selects Linear PCM 2 channel 41.1 and 48 kHz . Audio sounds great but I just want to be sure I'm using the best audio option. Or Should I be selecting HDMI Manuel and checkmark dolby digital plus and DD 5.1 instead since my tv supports DD plus and my Bose supports up to DD5.1? Also should I stick to linear PCM or bitstream? My worry is that as my audio may sound great am I getting DD 5.1 or just great sounding stereo or DD? Logic suggests to me maybe use Manuel and choose DD 5.1 and send audio to tv via HDMI and the DD 5.1 audio will be sent to my Bose via optical . Lastly I'm using the optical cable that came with Bose not sure if I bought a gold tipped optical if that would be better? Any help snd advice would be great!
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you have a slim PS3 it makes no difference, it just decided where the decoding happens - PS3 or reciever.

If you have a fat pick PCM since it can't bitstream DTS master audio and Dolby TrueHD.

Oldgregg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oldgregg99
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
That makes sense, good thing I have the slim...thanks!