Benefits of having a sub-account?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
I'm thinking about making a sub-account for myself just so I can keep my master account secretly. I don't have kids but I wanted to make one for myself. I wanted to use a new gamertag whenever I play online. Is this recommended? What are the benefits of having a sub-account?
NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts
The benefit I can see is exactly that. Keeping your online presence secret from your personal friends or "friends". And what ever "benefits" that may bring.
DownloadFailed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 DownloadFailed
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

There are none. Master accounts (aged 18 years or older) have all the perks and can change all the PS3's settings without question. Don't bother with a sub-account.

MrCazador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MrCazador
Member since 2011 • 74 Posts

You have to be 18 or older to subscribe to Playstation Plus, so only master accounts can purchase it. That seems pretty simple. As for age restrictions, Sony imposes those for legitimate reasons that you as a parent should be interested in at least knowing, before deciding to circumvent them. The content for Plus is not intended to all be suitable for minors. There is nothing on Plus that Sony intends to be made available to minors, so the restriction on its use by sub-accounts should be no surprise. Giving false information when registering a PSN account is a violation of the terms of service, and is grounds for a permanent ban. It also prevents you from monitoring and controlling your son's account, or setting any parental controls at all. You are probably better off following the rules, even if your son does miss out on some odds and ends from Plus. Actually, if that is all that you wanted Plus for; your money would have been better spent on just letting him purchase the avatars of his choice.

-Ashley Cazador.