Batman Arkham City: Should I get it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuZZerr-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BuZZerr-
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm not a big Batman fan, but I've heard this game is pretty good. I was wondering: should I buy this game? or just rent it? cause my friend rented the game and beat it in less than 4 days. What do you think? Should I buy it or just rent it?
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#2 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

If you're not a big Batman fan, rent it.

From my experience, its pretty linear and I'd recommend you check out Infamous, Infamous 2 or Prototype for a better superhero experience.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

You do not need to be a Batman fan at all to enjoy this game. It's easily the best action adventure this gen simply on the merit of it's gameplay quality and design. It's a Jack of all trades kind of game. Superb point based combat, superb and brilliantly thought out stealth portions, many brilliant puzzles, a large amount of collectibles, excellent presentation, very strong exploration, top notch side missions, superb controls, and ton of challenge rooms that put your combat and stealth to the ultimate test to extend the length of this game indefinately (leader board high scores and time trials included).

This game does a lot of different things and it handles each with more care and polish than most games that focuse on just one of these many aspects do.

the one negative side effect to all of this? All other action adventure games this gen will seem subpar in comparison with the exception of Arkham Asylum.

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts

yes...no need to be a batman fan... i wasn't either... not much into the comics either ...but i say u don't need to be a batman fan because by the end of the game u will be... actually u'll be more fond of the villains than u will be of batman lol... anyways...i'd suggest u shud get both asylum and city... wont regret it...

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Everyone needsa to get it, reagrdless of being a Batman fan or not. :)
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Best overall game this gen.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#7 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

A very big yes.

FriendlyFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FriendlyFalcon
Member since 2011 • 191 Posts

the combat is satisfying, and the city traversal feels as good as swinging around the city in spiderman 2. it doesnt matter if you like batman or not as long as you dont hate him.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I thought it was ok but way overrated, I'm glad I didn't buy it as there are certainly a lot better games out their to buy than this.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
rent it...unless u plan on replaying it numerous times... dont really have to be a batman fan to enjoy it.
teacher4tc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 teacher4tc
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts
BIG YES!!! Get this game and enjoy,
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
YES its amazing experience
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#13 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I just didn't know how they improved on the original but the story was very good and the side missions were a nice change of pace as well plus you can be Catwoman as well MEOW.

Bassmanfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Bassmanfunk
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

If your not into Batman I would say rent it. Then If you like it wait for it to go on sale and buy it.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I just didn't know how they improved on the original but the story was very good and the side missions were a nice change of pace as well plus you can be Catwoman as well MEOW.

chocolate1325

If you buy it new or pay the extra money off a second hand copy you can play as catwoman via an online pass code yes, otherwise you miss out. Catwoman is on disc content that they advertised as being in the game then only less than a week before its release revealed it was to be locked behind a silly online pass code which resulted in many gamers cancelling their pre-orders. Then within 2 weeks the code had been cracked and the game was pirated, serves them right too.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Yeah you should get it. I'm not a big Batman fan either(not really into comics and stuff like that) but I loved the game. The game is awesome. Plenty of things to do, great city to explore, great story(just wish it was a little longer) and plenty of side missions. If you like collecting trophies they can give you even more replay value. I also recommend you check out Arkham Asylum, that game is pure awesome.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#17 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
All other action adventure games this gen will seem subpar in comparison with the exception of Arkham Asylum.Pikminmaniac
Yes, you should, but the rest of the thread has explained this to you. I will say the above statement is not necessarily true. I know PM and I don't get along when it comes to the PS3, but games like Uncharted, God of War, and inFamous 2 are still fun otherwise. Even more if you have other consoles.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I'd buy Batman: Arkham Asylum first and then pick up Batman: Arkham City. BOTH are EXCELLENT games!

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

I prefer the first one more, so maybe pick that up cheaper. I guess it depends if you prefer open world type games or more zelda style games. Arkham asylum is more like Zelda which I prefer more. What I mean by that is it's fairly linear, but you then you generally get to a dungeon, get a new weapon, use that weapon, etc. There are a few open areas but for the most part it's linear.

Arkham City is more open. The main story is linear but there are lots of side quests. The side quests just didn't seem that important to me and I generally get bored in more open style games.

Again, I would say it depends what style of game you like more. Just my 2cents.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3077 Posts

I would say rent it. It didn't take that long and I really didn't like it as much as the first. Still a good game though.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
Play Arkham Asylum first, i think anyone can enjoy the Batman arkham series, fans of Batman and non fans alike.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

it would be better if you play Arkham Asylum first...

i enjoyed the first one, and loved Arkham City! Best BATMAN game for me!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

187umKILLAH

If you buy it new or pay the extra money off a second hand copy you can play as catwoman via an online pass code yes, otherwise you miss out. Catwoman is on disc content that they advertised as being in the game then only less than a week before its release revealed it was to be locked behind a silly online pass code which resulted in many gamers cancelling their pre-orders. Then within 2 weeks the code had been cracked and the game was pirated, serves them right too.

Catwoman is not on the disc fyi
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#24 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Batman: Arkham City is a masterpiece, just like it's fantastic predecessor Batman: Arkham Asylum.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

If you've got the money, why not? I played through Arkham Aslym, and it was one of the most engrossing action adventure games I've ever played. Spot on controls, intense fights, killer weaponry, killer graphics, astounding story and voice acting, and simply fun and so involved that you'll find yourself wanting to search every nook and cranny to get to the end. I loved it. The 2nd game is said to be even BETTER so it's really nothing to think about.

BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
Yeah, definitely pick it up. I held off for a while before I even played Batman AA but I recently did and it was an awesome game. I'm not even into Batman really and I still enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to pick up Batman AC a few weeks ago when it was on sale at Best Buy. I used a coupon from their magazine too and got it for $10. Can't beat that.
Imperiusmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Imperiusmax
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Definetely. Its one of the best games of the year.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I don't think being a Batman fan is dependent on your possibility of liking the game. It is a fantastic game regardless, a true classic for this gen.
ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts
If you haven't played Arkham Asylum yet get that instead.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#30 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

If you're not a big Batman fan, rent it.

From my experience, its pretty linear and I'd recommend you check out Infamous, Infamous 2 or Prototype for a better superhero experience.

d_parker

I disagree I thought Prototype was just poor I didn't find anything to like about Alex Mercer as for Batman Arkham City it has excellent voice acting, good characters, excellent atmosphere and it actually makes you feel like your the hero. I'm not really into Batman or DC however it's a great game and I'm glad I have it in my PS3 collection.

zabu213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zabu213
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
You should definitely get it as I think it was better than Arkham Asylum. One of the best games of the year!
wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

short answer: yes

long answer: yes!

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

You don't need to be a big Batman fan.. this game will make you one.