Bad company 2 and Battlefield 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_N_R_G_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _N_R_G_
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

Hey guys i was thinking about getting Battlefield 3 when its out but i have no idea about what the series Battlefield is like as ive never played any of them.

Should i get bad company 2 first to get a feel for the gameplay and story? or do you think i can wait till release of the new one and go from there?

I used to play COD you see but im getting pretty bored of it now. (Not turning this into a hate COD topic im just interested to know what Battlefield is like)

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

If you have a PC, pick up Battlefield 2 for like ten bucks and play that. It is different than the bad company games, or you can just youtube it. people still play BF2 online on the PC.

Edit: You can wait for the new one, it's not really a story game, more of an awesome online game. You do need to use teamwork to win, but the maps and time limits are huge. Note: I am talking about the PC version, not sure if the PS3 will be different except only having 32 players online instead of 64.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

Story doesn't matter much like CoD. You could get it so you could try the different game modes and just how it plays if you want, but BF3 will probably be easy enough to learn.

MATheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MATheKing
Member since 2010 • 225 Posts

I'd get it to get used to it before bf3, it's quite cheap these days anyway...

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

i would definately get it even if you don't get bf3, make sure to get it new so you get the code for the free maps, when you start playing it i guarantee you'll regret not getting it sooner, i was stuck on stupid playing that other game till last november but i've been playing this non stop since then

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

i'd say go for it. the story has nothing to do with b3 (and trust me, that's not a bad thing as the characters in bc2 are kind of annoying instead of funny). It will probably get you used to how the game plays since it has a few distinct parts to it, especially with how the mp works. Plus, it's just a really awesome, fun game to play online and there are some pretty good sp missions. You should get it new since it comes with an online pass to get some stuff (though idk what) or get the ultimate edition that comes with battlefield 1943 as well, and is only a few dollars more than the normal version.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

i'd say go for it. the story has nothing to do with b3 (and trust me, that's not a bad thing as the characters in bc2 are kind of annoying instead of funny). It will probably get you used to how the game plays since it has a few distinct parts to it, especially with how the mp works. Plus, it's just a really awesome, fun game to play online and there are some pretty good sp missions. You should get it new since it comes with an online pass to get some stuff (though idk what) or get the ultimate edition that comes with battlefield 1943 as well, and is only a few dollars more than the normal version.

blueboxdoctor

Yeah TC, go for the Ultimate Edition. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is a fantastic game on its own but the addition of Battlefield 1943 makes the package even better.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Bad Company 2 is probably the best appetizer for Battlefield 3, so I'd check it out. You may not like it at first (since the community is bound to be nothing but expert level 50's now), but its a ton of fun, especially with friends. Single Player is sorely lacking though.

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

BF2 was amazing on PC... it was basically a BATTLEfield literally...mass players 32 vs 32 tanks airplanes apcs cars u name it people were driving it lol... squad systems commander systems...

BFBC2 was basically a similar game but with improved physics...and a lot less players.... i think the max players for bfbc2 is 24 (12 vs 12) on ps3... So it never truly felt like a "Battlefield" downgrading from 64 players...but its still a good shooter.

Also BF2 had basically no campaign mode..just a training mode vs ai BOTS.... BFBC2 has an actual campaign.

so skipping both will not make you miss anything for the upcoming BF3 XD

T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

I'd go pick up Battlefield 2. It has a pretty solid multiplayer, best FPS in my opinion

Rootbeer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rootbeer95
Member since 2010 • 490 Posts
If you played Call of Duty to death, you may not like Bad Company 2 because the frames per second are less and the guns have 'weight' so the games are slower and require more of a time sink. With Call of Duty you can play it in short half hour bursts and still feel satisfied where as with Battlefield, you need to play it at hours at a time. Having said that, I know many people who loved Call of Duty and successfully made the transition to Battlefield like myself. If I were you, I'd rent it first over the summer or even just buy it. It's $15 max now. :)
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Expect a slower paced game with tons of chaotic all out warfare. It's extremely fun to play. Impossible to do so for very long without decent squad mates. IMO, BF is the overall higher quality franchise. But they are both the best at their style game play.
PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

I'm pretty sure BF3 will be a lot closer to BF2 than the Bad Company spin-off/series. BF2 was a lot more balanced and didn't have any stupid perks you could equip, just old-school gameplay.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'm pretty sure BF3 will be a lot closer to BF2 than the Bad Company spin-off/series. BF2 was a lot more balanced and didn't have any stupid perks you could equip, just old-school gameplay.

PolygonBust

I didn't think BC2 had many perks, it was mostly just different attachments to your guns and as you ranked up you were able to do more things with your class (such as revive people as a medic once you reach a certain level with that class). The mp maps seem like they'll be a lot different than those in BC2 considering the amount of vehicles they're advertising, and bringing back jets. I can see these things coming back in some way in BF3 just to keep it modern. However, I do expect a better story and set of characters than in BC2.