At first I did not understand how Dante's Inferno got a 6.5.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I just played through this game for the first time. I was really enjoying it. Maybe not as much as God of War III, but if GOWIII was a 9.0 game this could have been a 8.0 game.

Then I got to the "trials" at the end of the game (the last hour or so), as well as the final boss battle. I understood the mediocre reviews starting there. TERRIBLE. Looks like something that was rushed out to meet a deadline. You keep fighting in the same room over and over again, with some cheap little superficial differences otherwise it WOULD be the same room over and over again. The boss battles and cutscene at the end were also very inconsistent in quality. I don't think I've ever gone from high to low so quickly in a game.

I had to laugh at the "To be continued...". Yeah. Good luck with that.

ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts

I think it deserves 7,5 - 8,0... Interesting story, fun game-play... But it has a lot of very frustrating parts...

FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

I think ryan davis at giant bomb defined why this game has gotten mediocre reviews so far....the giant bomb video Ryan's Inferno. Spent nearly a hour trying to beat one of the trials(finish all in one combo).

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i thought it deserves a 7.0 to a 7.5

alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

I have to admit I really enjoyed the first 3 quarters of the game. Sure the big comparisons to god of war was bound to come, because of the same style of game play and if they was able to keep the first 3 quarters standard up then it could have been a great game.

However at the moment I have just finished the one which Ryan from Giant Bomb had problems with and I have seriously noticed a drop off in regards of performance, which is a shame because up until those trials part it was a decent game.

Half of me wants them to take the good aspects of the game and just those for a second game.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 2Chalupas

I think ryan davis at giant bomb defined why this game has gotten mediocre reviews so far....the giant bomb video Ryan's Inferno. Spent nearly a hour trying to beat one of the trials(finish all in one combo).

FF6fan

Yeah. I had to switch it to "classic" (easy) difficulty to beat that one. The "up in the air" thing was annoying as hell as well.

It was just really weird that stuff like that was part of the main game and not part of the bonus content. It was like they ran out of ideas and instead of fully building the final level just came up with some stupid crap to go through before the last boss battle.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I think it deserves 7,5 - 8,0... Interesting story, fun game-play... But it has a lot of very frustrating parts...

ks1990steelman

Agreed. I personally gave it an 8. The trials at the end were horribly out of place and felt tacked on, but overall the game was still loads of fun. It was definitely a surprise for me. The game is a tad underrated by GS. The game is nothing special, but it can still be enjoyable.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I didn't care for the demo at all and when I read the reviews about the end of the game being absolutely awful, I wouldn't even pick it up as a bargain bin purchase. Kind of surprising that a somewhat "big" game like that would be such crap.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

I loved it all. 8.0 from me.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Those last trials were rushed to make it out before God Of War 3. I'm sure of it.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

FF6fan
One big combo. That's a problem.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
[QUOTE="FF6fan"]

ProjectTrinity

Nearly an hour... on camera. He had multiple hours across a couple weeks trying to do it before the recording.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yokofox33

[QUOTE="FF6fan"]

ProjectTrinity

Maybe if you suck :P

That trial took me one try to complete. Didn't take long at all. The stay in the air one though was ridiculous. There's a cheap way to do it, but I had to look for it online.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
I'll likely never bother with this one. Why buy God of War Lite for sixty bones when I have the whole trilogy of the real deal on my PS3? It's like owning a top of the line sports car, but driving around in a beat up old Oldsmobile. Pointless.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
That trial took me one try to complete. Didn't take long at all. The stay in the air one though was ridiculous. There's a cheap way to do it, but I had to look for it online.yokofox33
When you have to look online for answers to get past a section in a game, that's a sure sign the game is poorly designed. That should never happen.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yokofox33

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]That trial took me one try to complete. Didn't take long at all. The stay in the air one though was ridiculous. There's a cheap way to do it, but I had to look for it online.SteveTabernacle
When you have to look online for answers to get past a section in a game, that's a sure sign the game is poorly designed. That should never happen.

Never said it wasn't poorly designed (it is actually), but I'm just saying the trial that particular reviewer had trouble with wasn't the one I found the most frustrating. You could tell they rushed the ending just to get it out before GOW3, or they just got lazy.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

i thought it deserves a 7.0 to a 7.5

hiphopballer
Agreed. 8.0 at the most. Good game, not great. Felt rushed.. a lot of climbing and roping around.. uninspired level design. I love the premise though. Dante's Inferno 2 will probably be much improved.
Avatar image for deactivated-638d165ba095d
deactivated-638d165ba095d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-638d165ba095d
Member since 2002 • 753 Posts

I like the game, and the Dark Forest DLC was kool A score of 8 would had been better.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Dantes Inferno is really bad..I don't see how people think otherwise really. a 6.5 is a perfect score for it.
newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

man, i was so hyped on this game when it was in development. loved the concept and the art style. then came the demo...wasnt impressed by much. then the reviews...ever since ive been waiting for it to hit the bargain bin. im still interested in it. but damn, you guys are making me rethink even bothering with this one.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
it is obivous that dante inferno was just trying to capitalize on the GOW hype. because of that, Dante is a medicore button masher, that might have some decent things, but is very flawed and only sold becuase x360 cant get GOW and the rest of us still had a month to go b4 GOW3. When i tried the demo, i was like ehhh, ill get it someday. When i played the GOW3 demo, i was like why is this not out yet, because i would have went and got it that second. BTW...i got GOW3 on launch day, and rented Dantes for a week, and GOW3 is much better in every way IMO.
3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

I got the game for $24+tax for the PS3 on the EA site when they had a sale on the game. I think that is a good price point and finding the demo decent but too related to GOW3 and not polished enough to buy for full price. Hopefully that was a low enough price or maybe I should have waited for $10 after some of the reviews from people on here.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

I only played the Demo...but I refused to buy the game. Want to know why? When youre fighting the GRIM REAPER and you start doing your quick time events, he PLEADS with you and says "NO PLEASE PLEASE" LOL.

Me and my friend started laughing so hard because here is the GRIM REAPER (Death as we call him) and he is pleading with you screaming PLEASE DONT KILL HIM. CMON. Thats dumb.

sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts
Personally I didn't care for the demo at all, either. There was something about the game play that just felt so removed from the game world... I really don't know how to describe it. I didn't feel immersed at all. Add in my own personal opinion that it was waaay too close to GoW3 in style, story, and gameplay, and I was left with a sour taste and a total disinterest in ever playing it again. 6.5 didn't surprise me in the least, to be honest.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

Meh, I'll definitely be grabbing it when it has a price drop or two. Even though I'm an atheist, the theological aspect fascinates me. GoW3 is prolly the better game, but Iw on't get either of them until their prices drop.

Avatar image for Nyxathid_Horror
Nyxathid_Horror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nyxathid_Horror
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

Dantes Inferno is really bad..I don't see how people think otherwise really. a 6.5 is a perfect score for it.gamer082009

You forgot your [opinion][/opinion] tags.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2Chalupas

I got the game for $24+tax for the PS3 on the EA site when they had a sale on the game. I think that is a good price point and finding the demo decent but too related to GOW3 and not polished enough to buy for full price. Hopefully that was a low enough price or maybe I should have waited for $10 after some of the reviews from people on here.

3rdbass

That's what I paid. Same deal as you. Even though I started this thread, it honestly isn't THAT bad. Now if I had paid full price I would have been even more disappointed. But at $24 I can either keep it, or probably sell on ebay and still make out not paying any more than had I just rented it - heck at this point I should easily be able to sell it back at either breakeven or possibly even a small profit.

My take is the first 6 hours of the game is great. Like everyone says it's "God of War" lite. Identical gameplay and even the level design is VERY similar. It's nicely polished and looks pretty good. As I stated at first I was wondering how the game didn't get an 8.0, but that finish really kills the experience in the story and knocks it down from an "almost great" game to a game that has a frustrating finish. The 6.5 was well deserved just because it seems like they gave up on the conclusion to the game. So they ripped out the "Challenge of the Gods" from God of War, made a poorer version, and actually included it as part of the main story right before you do the last level and boss battle. It was just totally bazarre. If I was judging just the first half of the game it would have been a solid 7.5 or 8.0.

monker490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 monker490
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

god of war - big angry god killing kilt wearing machine= not good

Snakewiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Snakewiseman
Member since 2009 • 1287 Posts

ya the trials sucked boss battles were almost too hard very repetative weapon system barely learn any new attacks

GOW3 is dominant not even on same level the graphics in gow3 were some of the best ive seen to date and I didnt even use the hd cable/tv

also the plot of gow3 kept me interested the whole time