Assassin's Creed 3: too hard to be stealthy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

I've been playing this game for a while, and I noticed that I get seen way too often. It may be that I suck, but I didn't have this issue in the previous games (especially AC2, stealth in that game was amazing). Every time I walk through a restricted area, I'm trying to be sneaky and hidden, yet that red arrow appears indicating that a guard sees me. I can't even see the guard myself, yet they spot me. Even when I'm on the rooftops, guards on the ground spot me. It's very frustrating and ruins the experience for me. How about you guys?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Not having much of an issue with it myself.. Just take advantage of the various hiding spots like haystacks, tall bushes and use whistling to attract attention and just pick off enemies one by one. I don't think this game expects you to be 100% stealthly anyway seeing as you can take on hordes of enemies with relative ease assuming you're not total crap at the combat which is basically just spamming square and timing the circle button for a counter or x to break defense.

Guess I'll throw a few tips your way;

- Obviously make sure you bribe printers to get you back into incognito status so the guards aren't constantly hassling you running around boston.

- Try to find a haystack thats close to a building or a tall platform you can jump from. Even if there are like 10 enemies chasing you, all you need to do is simply climb the building and leap of faith into the haystack. Even if those 10 enemies saw you leap of faith into the haystack they will 100% always give up and walk away and you will go back into incognito status. This also works in forts assuming they have a haystack to leap of faith into. You could also use this same haystack to whistle at the same enemy that was just chasing you and simply pull him into the haystick for an insta kill, of course this would alert any other enemies that are close to the haystack. You could then simply just jump out of the haystack and perform the leap of faith again and repeat this same process. I guess this could be considered a exploit of the horrible AI in this game.. But whatever. It's been like this in every AC game from what I remember.

- Even if an enemy sees you and that arrow appears.. It charges yellow at first, you still have time to run over to him and hidden blade the crap out of him without alerting the rest of the guards. Assuming you're close enough to do this. If you're too far I would immediatlly run out of his range or find a corner wall to cover from then prepare to hidden blade stealth kill him around a corner.

- I don't use my bow and arrow a lot but I think it serves as a silent way of taking out enemies from a far.

DiamondSlicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 DiamondSlicer
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

I've noticed too that guards have no trouble spotting you even if you're on a rooftop. This makes it annoying to get rid of the guards as well when you are trying to hide, since at least one will always spot you no matter what. I've also noticed that if you've been spotted while hanging off a ledge for instance (like a bridge), they come up to you and will stand there forever in front of you without investigating or having an arrow above them. This makes it hard to sneak around because they will just stand there and at a distance where you can't assassinate them but where they can still see you if you move too far away from them when trying to get somewhere along the ledge. I agree at certain points that they spot you too easily, especially considering when you are at a pretty far distance and even with some weather circumstances (rain, fog). You would think they have trouble seeing/recognizing you but they still do anyway. I agree it's a bit strange and inconsistent the way and when they spot you. It makes for a somewhat less enjoyable experience. Also, when you are around a corner or in a haystack and trying to lure a guard by whistling, I've had guards who were actually FURTHER away come to me instead of the guard I was trying to lure in. Pretty strange.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
One of the missions in sequence 3 (I think) where you have to infiltrate the fort in the blizzard was such a pain in the ass to sneak around and not kill anyone.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Every time I walk through a restricted area, I'm trying to be sneaky and hidden, yet that red arrow appears indicating that a guard sees me.rubber-chicken
You do know that if you're in a RESTRICTED AREA guards will spot you regardless. This is no different than in the previous games. That's why you're having trouble because you simply can't let ANY guards see you. Does that help a bit? I'm not having any problems with being stealthy.

You just have to watch your stealth level and if it's any higher than "Incognito," rip down posters, bribe town criers or go to a printing press. But also realize that even if your level is incognito and you enter a restricted area (red-shaded areas on the mini-map), it doesn't matter if you're incognito since guards will spot you since it is restricted and you're not supposed to be there at all.

Drago-Morph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drago-Morph
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]Every time I walk through a restricted area, I'm trying to be sneaky and hidden, yet that red arrow appears indicating that a guard sees me.Kravyn81

You do know that if you're in a RESTRICTED AREA guards will spot you regardless. This is no different than in the previous games. That's why you're having trouble because you simply can't let ANY guards see you. Does that help a bit? I'm not having any problems with being stealthy.

You just have to watch your stealth level and if it's any higher than "Incognito," rip down posters, bribe town criers or go to a printing press. But also realize that even if your level is incognito and you enter a restricted area (red-shaded areas on the mini-map), it doesn't matter if you're incognito since guards will spot you since it is restricted and you're not supposed to be there at all.

I think you misunderstand the question. He's actively trying to not get seen by guards, but they spot him even when it seems like they shouldn't. Not that he's trying to walk around incognito without anyone being alerted.

I'm having trouble with this too, personally. I feel like guards are hypersensitive and totally inconsistent with when and how they spot you.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

yeah i know what you mean. they pretty much turned AC3 into more of an action game. there isn't much focus on stealth anymore which is dissapointing. just remember to bribe to keep your status incognito is pretty much the only advice i can give you. and stick to bushes and haystacks to stay hidden.