Are the Resistance games just not for me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I dunno. I hear people talking about how R2 will be the greatest shooter this gen. Im not dogging on the game, but I just didnt think the first was all that awesome. Granted, I played the demo and about 3 hours of the full game, but I think I got a good feel for what the game was like, and I wasnt too impressed. It seemed like your average run n gun shooter. It seemed waaay to conventional to have all the praise heaped onto it and its sequel. With shooters, if I like them, I really get sucked into them, and Resistance 1 just didnt do it for me. Im not a huge fan of shooters, but I tend to like the shooters that do things differently, like tactical battles (Brothers In Arms), stealthy gameplay (Far Cry), or even superpowers (Bioshock).

I personally think Far Cry 2 will be better. Look at the trailers and see all the awesome things it does. Weapons degrading, an awesome open world setting, the use of fire, the stealth, it all looks so much more compelling to play then R2.

What really sets the Resistance games apart? Did I just miss the boat on Resistance? Is it just not my kind of shooter, because im tired of run n gun linear shooters.

Tell me what you think.

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

The problem i see is, they are making the game really big, giving it loads of fewatures,

but , i can not see any improvments to the game it self, and resistance 1 was pretty average for gameplay.

i reckon 8.0 - 8.5

Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts
I only played the demo of the first one but I couldn't stand it at all and yeah so I too don't get why the first one was praised so much, by players at least, nor do I see what is going to be so good about R2. I'm sure R2 will be a solid game but it doesn't appeal to me at all especially with all the great games coming out.
TheMazaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheMazaku
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
Resistance: Fall of Man, was my first PS3 game. And it wasn't long till I forced myself to get another. The gameplay was way to repetitive for me, and the story dragged on for way too long. The protagonist (Nathan Hale) was also not very likeable at all. I am around 3 chapters from the end of the game and let me tell you, I have no intention of ever playing it again :P
nephew62001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nephew62001
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
We're all in the same page here. Resistance 2 is good but like i said in other threads, world war soldiers battling futuristic aliens ain't for me. I heard a lot of good multiplayer stuff about R2 but i can't force myself buying it just because everyone else will play it. I'm gonna wait for Call of Duty: World at War and Killzone 2 instead.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
Resistance: Fall of Man, was my first PS3 game. And it wasn't long till I forced myself to get another. The gameplay was way to repetitive for me, and the story dragged on for way too long. The protagonist (Nathan Hale) was also not very likeable at all. I am around 3 chapters from the end of the game and let me tell you, I have no intention of ever playing it again :P TheMazaku
how was he not very likeable when he doesnt talk....
MrBz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrBz1
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts
I am really looking forward to Res 2.
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts

To be fair, R1 was pretty good considering it was rushed for launch. R2 has no excuses.

JFannn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JFannn
Member since 2006 • 691 Posts
New games are adding new mechanics and features that Resistance 2 doesn't have. All just personal opinion I guess.
Cyphus07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Cyphus07
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

I dunno. I hear people talking about how R2 will be the greatest shooter this gen. Im not dogging on the game, but I just didnt think the first was all that awesome. Granted, I played the demo and about 3 hours of the full game, but I think I got a good feel for what the game was like, and I wasnt too impressed. It seemed like your average run n gun shooter. It seemed waaay to conventional to have all the praise heaped onto it and its sequel. With shooters, if I like them, I really get sucked into them, and Resistance 1 just didnt do it for me. Im not a huge fan of shooters, but I tend to like the shooters that do things differently, like tactical battles (Brothers In Arms), stealthy gameplay (Far Cry), or even superpowers (Bioshock).

I personally think Far Cry 2 will be better. Look at the trailers and see all the awesome things it does. Weapons degrading, an awesome open world setting, the use of fire, the stealth, it all looks so much more compelling to play then R2.

What really sets the Resistance games apart? Did I just miss the boat on Resistance? Is it just not my kind of shooter, because im tired of run n gun linear shooters.

Tell me what you think.

hillelslovak

I couldn't agree more. I got resistance with the launch system and well... wasn't that impressed either. Its a nice looking game, some weapons are fun, but its just another shooter. Compartively its a good shooter. Its story is, eh ...ok i guess. I don't care too much about the story though. The online play wasn't all that great, certainly doesn't have the following of COD4.

I'm betting Far Cry 2 will be better, but i did see some info on R2 and i'm interested. They've peaked my curiousity. Maybe R2 will be much better than the 1st. So many choices starting to come about in our ps3 game library! Its about time! I like having trouble deciding which good game to get, rather than deciding should I get a game I know i might not like.

-Masterchef-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Masterchef-
Member since 2007 • 10244 Posts
Your right, there isn't really anything special about RFOM, but same with Halo. They are still both highly acclaimed shooters though because while it may not be new, it's still solid
TheMazaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheMazaku
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMazaku"]Resistance: Fall of Man, was my first PS3 game. And it wasn't long till I forced myself to get another. The gameplay was way to repetitive for me, and the story dragged on for way too long. The protagonist (Nathan Hale) was also not very likeable at all. I am around 3 chapters from the end of the game and let me tell you, I have no intention of ever playing it again :P CosmoKing7717
how was he not very likeable when he doesnt talk....

He looks funny :P Don't mind me... I have lame excuses for everything.

hagaf22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hagaf22
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
resistance is a particular breed of shooter, the first resistance is what really got me in to the genre, and in to online gaming, which also got me a spot in an advance preview of r2. the resistance series isnt for everyone though, but its worth a shot, but just know the ps3 has plenty of shooters so if resistance isnt your thing youve got options.
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

Many people like the first resistance because it was the first game they played on their PS3. I find it pretty solid, the gameplay was fun, the story was ok (at least it didn't get much in the way), and it was my first experience (and a good one, too) with console online multiplayer. Although the gameplay was pretty generic and nothing really new, I had no problem with that...

Because of that, I am willing to give R2 a chance, although it is perfectly reasonable if it wasn't for you... As you can see from other posts, you are not alone.

sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
I remember when i bought resistance and when i played it it just didn't do anything for me everything felt so bland and the enemies we're kinda boring so i feel the same thing will happen to the sequel don't get me wrong i love fps and i'm really looking forward to far cry 2 i have the collectors edition i dunno maybe resistance is too linear for my liking.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

How long or what chpter did you guys get to in Rfom before turning it off or just not going any further for the guys who didn't like it. I bet in most cases only to about chpter 4, am I wrong?

I say this cause I felt the same way, but since getting the game myself in the past month I've set down with it and after chapter 4 or 5 the game takes a whole new turn. The enviroments change up, the weapons change up, the atmosphere changes up, the enemies change up. And now I love it and I'm about 3/4 way through the game, and can't wait to go ahead finish it up to see how it all shacks out.

I have about 2 ole sh#t moments lol each time I sit down for a gaming session with it now lol. Thats pretty cool and really haven't had that since quake4 or doom3 in a game. But never the less when you walk on those pods I just say tip toe lol.

michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts
I actualy liked the demo...resistance 2 is the only reason I'm not buying resistance 1...after finishing a demo 3 times u know u like a game..anyway I guess it's just not your type of shooter..I pretty much like all shooters from tactical to run n gun to any other original shooting game u can think of (including third person shooters)..I guess it's just a matter of taste...u cant expect everyone to feel exactly the same about a game (except big rigs that everyone hates)
michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts

How long or what chpter did you guys get to in Rfom before turning it off or just not going any further for the guys who didn't like it. I bet in most cases only to about chpter 4, am I wrong?

I say this cause I felt the same way, but since getting the game myself in the past month I've set down with it and after chapter 4 or 5 the game takes a whole new turn. The enviroments change up, the weapons change up, the atmosphere changes up, the enemies change up. And now I love it and I'm about 3/4 way through the game, and can't wait to go ahead finish it up to see how it all shacks out.

I have about 2 ole sh#t moments lol each time I sit down for a gaming session with it now lol. Thats pretty cool and really haven't had that since quake4 or doom3 in a game. But never the less when you walk on those pods I just say tip toe lol.

GreyFoXX4

I agree...some people just dont have patience to play a little longer and discover how fun a game really is...like some people say that gta4 is repetetive..that all the missions are the same "hey cousin...go kill this guy...he is escaping in a car.." but once u pass like 30% of it it starts to change...and u get really original missions..people just need to give thier game a chance instead of playing for 2 hours and deciding not to like it