Are the PS3 Sony Wireless Headset any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Gamartto (1987 posts) -

I'm looking for a headset or headphones to use with my PS3 but I don't want any cables around so ... Is this headset the best for the PS3 (PS4?)

Thanks!

#2 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

Its okay, a middling headset but make sure If you buy used to get the second revision which is far more reliable and has an ergonomic design as compared to the original official ps3 headset which was pretty much a block hanging from your ear and frankly hurt mine.

#3 Edited by Gamartto (1987 posts) -

I saw that one but I was refering to this one instead http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B0053OLY9O

Thanks.

#4 Edited by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

I have the one you linked to Amazon and really like it. Something cool is that it works with my laptop too. Just plug in the USB dongle and you've wireless headphones for your computer.

I should also mention that Sony has made a second version of these that I've heard is better but have not used personally. Sony Pulse Headset

EDIT: Also important to mention it was announced today that bluetooth/USB headsets won't be compatible out of the box for PS4 but support for them will come later. Just something to be aware of if you were looking to get these strictly for a PS4.

#5 Posted by Gamartto (1987 posts) -

@The_Rick_14 said:

I have the one you linked to Amazon and really like it. Something cool is that it works with my laptop too. Just plug in the USB dongle and you've wireless headphones for your computer.

I should also mention that Sony has made a second version of these that I've heard is better but have not used personally. Sony Pulse Headset

EDIT: Also important to mention it was announced today that bluetooth/USB headsets won't be compatible out of the box for PS4 but support for them will come later. Just something to be aware of if you were looking to get these strictly for a PS4.

Wow the new pulse looks great... I'll take a look at it.

#6 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11194 posts) -

I have these bad boys, and I absolutely love them. The sound quality is superb. It really improves the experience and people on the outside can't hear a thing. I highly recommend them.

#7 Posted by Gamartto (1987 posts) -

@The_Rick_14@Pikminmaniac: How's the build quality of the model you have? Are those headphones sturdy? How old are them?

Thanks

#8 Edited by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

@Gamartto said:

@The_Rick_14@Pikminmaniac: How's the build quality of the model you have? Are those headphones sturdy? How old are them?

Thanks

I've had mine for close to two years now I think and they still look and work like new. They're very sturdy on your ears and the padding is still soft. The extending mic can feel a little flimsy when extending it but I've had no problems with it and you really don't need to extend it anyway for people to hear you. Build quality is great in my opinion.

Honestly there really is only one con with them and it's simply a side-effect of just about any over-the-ear headphones. My ears do get hot after a while from being enclosed inside the ear-cups. But honestly it's a good thing because it they really do a great job of not leaking sound in or out.

From what I've heard, the newer Pulse's that I linked are only improved in every aspect so if you expect to use them often, I would spend the extra dollars to get the newer ones.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
#9 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

It is funny cause i have been on the fence about the Sony Pulse Elite for a few months now, reviews everywhere seem to vary from Awesome to Meh, so i am holding out for a price drop or some sweet deal to come along. However though i would say that Sony has a reputation for making amazing sound systems, every since the days of the Walkman's, i have full confidence in Sony engineers when it comes to that kinda stuff