Are SINGLE PLAYER games worth $60?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

I can't stand how people hate on single player games because of a lack of online multiplayer nowadays. We suffer from a ridiculous glut of online FPS, which I love by the way, and hurt the sales of awesome single player games.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Future, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, and even GTA4 are all prime examples of single player games done right. These games have great replayability on higher difficulty levels and provide deep, interesting stories.

I really lament the fact that this generation of gaming has killed the value of single player games. I'd rather have a great single player experience with no online play than having a tacked on online component (RE5, I'm looking at you).

It just depresses me that sales of some fantastic single player games suffer because of the lack of online play. I really hope this doesn't affect the game industry in a negative way in the years to come.

Your thoughts?

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
Absolutely. I don't care much for multiplayer.
Hockeystud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Hockeystud92
Member since 2009 • 156 Posts

yeh i see ur point i dont really buy single player only games only rent them if i am interested but i hope they dont stop making them :((

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Matters if the story is long and entertaining, and worth multiple play through but there are those games that could really use online in it because the short campaign

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

Matters if the story is long and entertaining, and worth multiple play through but there are those games that could really use online in it because the short campaign

Unknown_Hero3
i agree with unknown
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
No game is worth 60 bucks in my opinion,but then again I am cheap when it comes to my gaming needs.I do agree.I will always care about singleplayer over multiplayer.Yes multiplayer in a game is nice,but I want more good singleplayer games out there that last more than 6 hours.
ctarczy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ctarczy2
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

i agree i would rather see great single player games with no multiplayer, and there are a few if any games that are worth 60 frecking dollars

goyolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#8 goyolap
Member since 2005 • 477 Posts

well i thinnk 60 bucks is bit expensive for a game but then again the rewarding experience for an example fallout 3 is worth every penny.But multiplayer help with replay ability, but still single player are worth full price for an example mgs4 i dont play online but I have finish the single player campaing 20 times lol.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

God of War 3 baby.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Honestly, it's a grey area. It would have to depend on the game/genre. Like an FPS for example. That would die without multiplayer. Where as an RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3 are great and don't need online multiplayer.

Same goes for MGS4

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

I buy single player games for $60 only if i really want the game other wise i wait until a price drop becasue the game is not going to change. Unlike online games where you can have many people playing or none.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

No doubt, you listed some awesome SP only games. I mean I get more out of SP sometimes then MP. Sure MP is great for some games and really adds to the longevity but a game like Oblivion I poured over 350 hours in which is more then some online games.

Sure there are some that aren't worth it but there is still a few that are really damn good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
When you really look at it, we buy games for the experience. I buy for single player first. I want an engrossing, memorable experience. I'll gladly pay 60 for a well made single player game anyday.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
I never saw the online component as a prerequisite into my 60$ purchase. A few games, like Killzone 2 and Call of Duty 4, which present themselves with short single-player campaigns, can see benefit of having an online. However, games like Folklore, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5, etc. are well worth the 60$ even without an online component, simply because of the single-player experience as an overall package. In fact, quite a few games offer superior single-player experiences than others which include both single and online player modes (think Uncharted VS Dark Sector, or Ratchet & Clank - Tools of Destruction vs Chronicles of Riddick on the current gen consoles).
Avatar image for FPS_FANATIC_007
FPS_FANATIC_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FPS_FANATIC_007
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts

yes they are but as for gta4 it would have been better if they had left out the crappy multiplayer and left all the stuff they took out of singleplayer in it

gedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gedo
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Most of games that include online don't have a very compelling single player, which is for me the best part of any game. That's why I will always treasure, Heavenly sword, Uncharted, Prince of Persia and tomb raider (if it wasn't for those camera angels :@)
aijou_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aijou_
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts

I prefer singleplayer before multiplayer anytime! I think it's BS when developers and gamers say that every game has to have MP. There are MP games and there are SP games. why not just accept that and play whatever you prefer? ofcourse there are MP games with a good SP campaign and vice versa. and thats fine. as long as it doesn't spoil the quality of the other mode.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I can't stand how people hate on single player games because of a lack of online multiplayer nowadays. We suffer from a ridiculous glut of online FPS, which I love by the way, and hurt the sales of awesome single player games.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Future, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, and even GTA4 are all prime examples of single player games done right. These games have great replayability on higher difficulty levels and provide deep, interesting stories.

I really lament the fact that this generation of gaming has killed the value of single player games. I'd rather have a great single player experience with no online play than having a tacked on online component (RE5, I'm looking at you).

It just depresses me that sales of some fantastic single player games suffer because of the lack of online play. I really hope this doesn't affect the game industry in a negative way in the years to come.

Your thoughts?

knicknut17

I totally agree! All I look for in a game is if it has a good single player campaign with great story. Bioshock and Dead Space are my favourite games and they don't have multiplayer, and look how good the stories are. Maybe developers these days just care more about multiplayer, which is why COD games are so short.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
Mutlti player is the new wave in gaming. It sucks that story is suffering because of it though. In the case of Resistance for example, the story mode in the first game followed the last generation. It was long and of an incredibly high quality. Then with Resistance 2, the story became Call of Duty esque and was short as hell, also letting the quality dip way down with a less character intensive story. Its a sad trend that even the best developers are following. Lets just hope inFamous, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and God of War 3 don't suffer to the same extent as other flagship PS3 exclusives.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Honestly, I'm kind of worried of Replay value myself. There are some good singleplayer games out there but if they hardly last, what do I do afterwards? Play it again right? Well that can only go for so long. Though honestly, replay value makes me feel the game was worth the money I paid.
teck157713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 teck157713
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts

y did u thik that single players not worth 60 bucks? uncharted,bioshock,heavenly sword,prince of persia,eternal sonata....they are all good games.i prefer mgs4 single player than MGO...GTA4 too..

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

If the single player is fun, lenghty and replayable, then yes.

Goldglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Goldglove
Member since 2003 • 508 Posts
I would have bought MGS4, Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword, GTA IV, etc. with or without online multi. Don't get me wrong,... I love COD4, KZ2, and R2 for their online, but a good game is a good game.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I'm making a point not to buy any multi-player focused games from now on, because I honestly don't care about it. I've always only really played single-player games and that isn't going to change anytime soon. A game with a long, replayable campaign is worth a lot more to me than a game with online.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I agree 100%.

Ronin893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Ronin893
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

I used to think that games were expensive. Hell, I still do, but if you think about like how much do you spend on a night out then you should be able to justify it. I spend at least $60 when I go out. Just like a night out though you want to get your moneys worth. I prefer single player to online anyways. The only game that I have played online was Rainbow Six Vegas. Those types of games need online and it is almost a must. Games like MGS4 did not need to add online. It is a great bonus of course but the game was so great that the replay value was already there.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

If they can make a game with replay value like MGS4, then no online is needed, but I need a awesome campaign and a great story.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I agree.

Games nowadays sacrifice a lot to include some kind of online component. In regards, single player suffers in many ways. Not all games are like that but unfortunately, majority are.

I'll likely re-play great single game then find myself frustrated with online aspects.

We need more well done RPG's and JRPG's in particular. :)

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

if the quality of the game is good, and loads of fun that last at least 8 hours then yes...action games that last more than 10 hours tend to drag imo....

TGL88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TGL88
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

Play Biochock or Ninja Gaiden Sigma that should answer your question.

Avatar image for BiohazardXTREME
BiohazardXTREME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BiohazardXTREME
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I bought Heavenly Sword when it came out, and don't regret it for a minute. It's a great game, and even though it lasts only maybe 6 hours, the presentation, the storyline and all the things that make the game are well worth replaying.

Of course, if you're the type of person who plays a game once and never picks it up again, then I feel sorry for you. There was a time when video games didn't have a Save function, meaning you had to beat them in one playthrough, or leave them on pause overnight. But most of those games lasted 2 - 3 hours, if that. Still, what was the initial price on Super Nintendo games? $60? $70?

Considering how much more expensive the production values are in games these days, $60 is nothing compared to what it used to be.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I agree with knicknut17.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts
I think so, especially if they're lengthy (Fallout 3, Oblivion, VC, etc). And a lot of shorter ones have a lot of replay value (Uncharted, R & C).
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

it is possible to have a great single player and great multiplayer... COD4 was great in both of these although the single player was short... i would say its short and sweet

donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

only if they cant be beat within the rental time.

Eyad-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#36 Eyad-93
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

I agree 100%

tenlong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tenlong
Member since 2009 • 312 Posts

i dont care for mutliplayer but street fighter 4 change my mind i beat some single player games like assassin,s creed in 35 hours{yes i was counting] i beat god of war for the psp in less than 24 hours oblivion is so worth it you can for 100 plus hours and still not beat the game

Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts
uncharted
buckugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 buckugly
Member since 2005 • 780 Posts

Honestly, it's a grey area. It would have to depend on the game/genre. Like an FPS for example. That would die without multiplayer. Where as an RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3 are great and don't need online multiplayer.

Same goes for MGS4

Denji

I would agree with you except for one of the most successful, brilliant franchises in existence...Half Life.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Some single player games are worth 60$ games like oblivion and fallout 3 are good examples your right, but those games have 100+ of gameplay. Games like Dead space, and star wars force unleashed are not neccessarily bad games, but provide 10 hours or less of campaign, even though you can replay them it gets tedious with such games. So, some games are worth it, if they have over an X amount of gameplay I believe, others you can just rent
-Rinder-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Rinder-
Member since 2008 • 1307 Posts
Fallout 3 and Uncharted
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

God of War 3 baby.

PSdual_wielder
Yup. Gonna be worth every penny. If a single player game is entertaining on it's playthrough, like Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, & God Of War (just to name a few), then yes, it's worth $60. If it isn't, a rental is sufficient. I misjudged Mirror's Edge and rented it when it hit me at the end of the 5 days that first person parkouring was very fun and replayable. It may not be worth $60 but it's worth more than Wanted.
joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

I never play multiplayer anymore. SP is the best.

mitchconlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 mitchconlin
Member since 2005 • 1218 Posts

Its much harder to justify single player games for 60$, when Online can generally add hundreds of hours of replay value.

IMO, many of the best gaming experiences are still single player- uncharted, mgs4, skate 2

But then compared to LBP, Cod4, killzone2, NHL 09 its hard to say they aren't easier to purchase with peace of mind.

thinner6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thinner6
Member since 2006 • 762 Posts

Agree with the OP.

Single player is why I buy a game. That's why Burnout Paradise is so great. I can do whatever I feel like for hours and hours and never run out of game.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
I bought Uncharted and gave it back within 2 weeks...its a great game but some games are meant to be rented
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Depends on the individual game but I have and will in the future put down $60 for a good singleplayer game.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

When you really look at it, we buy games for the experience. I buy for single player first. I want an engrossing, memorable experience. I'll gladly pay 60 for a well made single player game anyday.hillelslovak
Pretty much that considering I don't give a flying **** about mulitplayer.:P

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Single player games, when done right, are better experiences than multiplayer games overall IMO. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, etc are all games that have no mp (besides MGS3 and 4, but the mp was nowhere near the main focus of the games) but are richer and better experiences than an online match of CoD4 or Halo 3 ever will be. That's not to say mp games aren't good, as I love Halo 3 online, but it's not the same level of an experience. I see multiplayer games as fun and competition, but I see single player games as true experiences that online games cannot replicate.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I think so, multiplayer is just a little extra add on to me. Games like Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, Eternal Sonata, Uncharted, and Ratchet & Clank don't need multiplayer and are well worth $60.