Anyone having their PS3 skipping while reading a DVD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FASSTLN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FASSTLN
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I just got my PS3 a couple of weeks ago but finally got around to watching a few DVDs on it this weekend.  While watching all of the movies, it would randomly skip to the next chapter 2 or 3 times during each film.  It was pretty annoying since I would then have to back the movie up to see what I had missed.  My PS2 never did this.  Is this common or should I take it back to Target and get another one?  Other than this one glitch, it seems to work perfectly with games, HDMI, Component, controller...everything except the DVD movies.

Any thoughts?

sm66612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sm66612
Member since 2004 • 453 Posts
This happened to me too. I think Sony is going to fix it with the next update. I'm going back to Target and exchange it for a new one if it doesn't get fixed.
piano_pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 piano_pimp
Member since 2005 • 759 Posts
the only time mine skips is when I set the controller down on the exposed triggers....but I haven't had any problems with dvd playback at all.
Avatar image for Gordon_Slaveman
Gordon_Slaveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gordon_Slaveman
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts
thought I was the only one having that problem for a while
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
I had problems with one movie but then I cleaned the disc. No more problems so far.
FASSTLN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FASSTLN
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Thanks,
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
You guys might want to check your movies for dust or something because I havent experienced anything like that at all yet and I'm sure it's probably a majority. Though some people mentione problems with BR disks but since I dont have a HiDef TV yet I can only go by my experience with the Talledega Nights BRD that I got with the system and I can say it never skipped either.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
There's already like 20 threads on this issue, it's common. Every PS3 has this problem it happens randomly Sony's working on it.
foreveraln1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foreveraln1
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts
nope but ive had problems with it no displaying through the hdmi though and my game saves getting corupted and games not loading my saves..... its a mad good movie player i havent had any problems and blu ray looks mad good even though my tv is only goes up to 1080i/720p
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
negative
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
it's a known firmware issue first of all, what is your setup? (if you have a 60gb ps3 running wifi with 1.51 firmware, I have the solution!) your firmware is making your ps3 reconnect to your wireless router during bluray playback should you lose connection that connection attempt causes bluray freezing so what you need to do is disable your internet connection in the settings menu of the xmb before movie playback (i know it's a little annoying but hopefully, sony will come up with a firmware update in march that fixes this) for more information, you can go to this link on the sony boards (it's a huge huge problem!) i was also afraid that it was a hardware issue but I tested the wifi disable method and it works like a charm So we're either dealing with a firmware issue here (very likely) or widespread hardware failure (not likely thankfully!)
TheHemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheHemperor
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have had problems with DVDs skipping and having to cycle back chapters. I have also had problems with not being able to view some material at all. I thought it was the discs at first, but when I returned the one disc that wasn't working and got a new one from Best Buy, I was having the exact same problem in the exact same spot on the disc. Here is what I did to fix the problem. In the main menu, navigate to the disc icon under "video" and hit the triangle button. Select "play disc from beginning" instead of "play". For some reason this worked for me. Not sure if it had something to do with playing back the "Warning:Don't copy this" horse fertilizer screen but problem solved nonetheless. Good Luck, TheHemperor