Anyone ever used Life with Playstation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hell_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hell_player
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

I'm just curious to see how many people have used or even seen what this feature is.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
i have it set to come on after an hour of no use on my PS3...
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

i have it set to come on after an hour of no use on my PS3...Eazy1891
Same. If your PS3 is sitting idle, might as well use its processing power to fold some proteins and find cures to diseases. :P

cheddar462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cheddar462
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts
i use it u basically look at news around the world n cure diseases wen u use it or watever the 1 kid said... i really dnt get it too much but its interesting
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

I use it when I get tired of playing games. But that hasn't happened in 3 months now. I think I bought a Jacket for 32 cents...

^ Read the title wrong :P

BTW I use life sometimes.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

I use it on occasion and it still works right now.

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

Yeah. Mainly just the folding@home thing. I've not done it lately cause i'm trying to avoid leaving it running alot. My PS3 is old and probably don't have much life left in it.

syam32245340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 syam32245340
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

I don't have any idea what Life is...

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]i have it set to come on after an hour of no use on my PS3...stevenk4k5
Same. If you're PS3 is sitting idle, might as well use its processing power to fold some proteins and find cures to diseases. :P

What do you mean by curing diseases ?
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I still run the program when my system is not being used for anything else. It's a 60 gig system that I purchased shortly before the first price drop.
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stevenk4k5
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"][QUOTE="Eazy1891"]i have it set to come on after an hour of no use on my PS3...blabbyboy
Same. If you're PS3 is sitting idle, might as well use its processing power to fold some proteins and find cures to diseases. :P

What do you mean by curing diseases ?

Folding@Home uses distributed computing to simulate the process of protein folding. By understanding how these proteins fold, it helps us to also understand the reason behind diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's.
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts

I used to use it alot, but after my 60GB PS3 died I dont risk it with my new machine. No sense in burning it up just to waste power. I think I had at least 15k hours of run time on my first PS3, so I ran the wheels off of it. Think I was around 2000-3000 workunits inFolding At Home (the old name of Life with PS)

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

i tried it once, but it's so boring...

i would rather to spend time on mmorpg if I want to do online socializing with strangers.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mosespippy
Member since 2005 • 7501 Posts
I knew a lot of people who used folding@home back in the day but as soon as it changed to Life with Playstation they all stopped using it.
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stevenk4k5
I knew a lot of people who used folding@home back in the day but as soon as it changed to Life with Playstation they all stopped using it.mosespippy
I don't understand why when Folding@Home is still an option in Life with PlayStation. O_O
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

I use it when I get tired of playing games. But that hasn't happened in 3 months now. I think I bought a Jacket for 32 cents...

T_REX305

i would rather to spend time on mmorpg if I want to do online socializing with strangers.

oajlu

LIFE, not HOME. In case you don't know what it is

Life with PlayStation® provides dynamic, web-based content organized into unique channels that can be browsed by time and location. While you are browsing any channel, your PS3™ system can contribute to Stanford University's Folding@home™ distributed computing network.

I let it fold every so often

Pankratous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pankratous
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Haven't used it for a good while...
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yep I've use it every now and then. Life with Playstation their is really not much to it. "Newsfeed/headlinesset to elevatorish background music"from different world cities. Kind of interesting once in awhile.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="T_REX305"]

Chogyam

oajlu

LIFE, not HOME. In case you don't know what it is

Life with PlayStation® provides dynamic, web-based content organized into unique channels that can be browsed by time and location. While you are browsing any channel, your PS3™ system can contribute to Stanford University's Folding@home™ distributed computing network.

I let it fold every so often

Wow I read the title wrong :P

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mosespippy
Member since 2005 • 7501 Posts
[QUOTE="mosespippy"]I knew a lot of people who used folding@home back in the day but as soon as it changed to Life with Playstation they all stopped using it.stevenk4k5
I don't understand why when Folding@Home is still an option in Life with PlayStation. O_O

Marketing and Branding. Before the PS3 came out all us Sony fanboys would read anything about Playstation 3. A bunch of articles saying it was gonna save lives come along and BAM you've got people reading about folding@home. Then they buy a PS3 and it has folding@home right in the XMB. One day it disappears without notice and something you've never heard of shows up called Life with Playstation. Without brand recognition it doesn't gain an audience. It shows up less and less in people currently playing status and that lowers the recognition ever more.

I remember a guy on my friends list who used f@h all the time but then when it disappeared and I was using Lw/P he sent me a message asking what it was. He had no clue. It doesn't help that the first thing to appear when you start it up is a world map with news from all over. I don't think the average gamer cares about global news and probably turns it off before checking out the rest of the program.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I did few years back... not lately
xGho5tx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xGho5tx
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts
Haven't been on that for at least a year.