Anyone ever had this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
So ill just tell you the story so you know in the context. I am NEVER using the ps3 browser again. I am here to warn you guys the same. Was on the browser and it froze, turn the ps3 back on and I get this. [spoiler]  [/spoiler] I looked it up and apparently its called the red screen of death. Its a very rare error. So rare, when you do call technical support like it says to, sony dont even know what it is - and this wasnt just the people I got in touch with either because alot of people online said this too. I was pretty annoyed because I look after my ps3 like its a child, I dont turn it on - on hot days, turn it off at 6 hours of playtime no matter what to let it cool down, always cleaning the vents ect. The good news is I turned the ps3 off and on again ( it wouldn't respond to the controller ) and its okay at the moment. However I freaked and straight away backed up my ps3, had to delete a tonne of game data because the backup was going to take 10.5 hours, and I needed to do it much quicker incase it couldnt last that long. So I had to stay up until 4am, until the backup finished. Then I had to do a format of my HDD, and restore the backup. So I have spent the entire morning downloading patches again, and re installing all my games. I am just worried its a early warning sign, and hope it doesnt crap out in a few weeks. Especially because I dont feel I have got its full life out of it, because I look after it so well and its actually barely used, and other friends I know use their's all day, and leave it on even when they arent using it - in a tiny closed up unit and theirs is still going no problems. Anyways just thought I would share it, because a lot of people arent aware of this error, I wasnt until last night.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Hm... yeah I never heard of that. From your research, do you know what causes it? Like,do you know if it'sbecasue of the browser?

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hotfiree

Hm... yeah I never heard of that. From your research, do you know what causes it? Like,do you know if it'sbecasue of the browser?

lazyathew
I have been reading and its not 100% the browser. Some people have had it after changing to firmware incorrectly, apparently its a internal memory issue, so I guess thats what the freezing does it. There is so little info on it though, even sony doesnt know what it is ( I dont understand how that is, they make the error messages )
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

hotfiree

I have been reading and its not 100% the browser. Some people have had it after changing to firmware incorrectly, apparently its a internal memory issue, so I guess thats what the freezing does it. There is so little info on it though, even sony doesnt know what it is ( I dont understand how that is, they make the error messages )

I see... But yeah, not everyone who works at the call centers will know everything though. You might not even be getting people who work for Sony, but rather a third party call center.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hotfiree
Thing is though I read on alot of forums about it, and everyone says sony didnt know what was going on. They should have solutions for all these problems imo.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lazyathew

Thing is though I read on alot of forums about it, and everyone says sony didnt know what was going on. They should have solutions for all these problems imo.hotfiree
True, Sony should. And if the call centers get calls about the stuff, they should contact Sony, then they can at least tell us what's going on. They wrote the error messages so they should at least know something.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hotfiree
Especially when all the error message says is, a SERIOUS error has occurred, get into contact with us.
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
Ps3 virus? Scary. I don't use mine on the Internet much so hopefully I am okay.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Meh dont worry, my PS3 is on all the time, don't care if its rain, hail or shine, and I've had that error once, didn't call Sony or anything, nothing has happened since. It's a 80GB fat from late 08. Oh and also, I never use the PS3 web browser, to hard and too slow.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hotfiree

Meh dont worry, my PS3 is on all the time, don't care if its rain, hail or shine, and I've had that error once, didn't call Sony or anything, nothing has happened since. It's a 80GB fat from late 08. Oh and also, I never use the PS3 web browser, to hard and too slow.

GTR12
Thanks for the re-assurance, that is exactly when I got my ps3 haha.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I've got to claim, I've NEVER seen that before. Not even amongst looking for errors myself.:|

Glad you knew what to do though, which is always good. I really wish I could help and had something to add, but damn. This is completely new to me. I'll see if I can find something on it. But if it's a new error and you come across anything about it, please share it and keep us posted will ya?

I've had my browser freeze and even flash the screen and turn the console off once. But no notices like this.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Denji

Here's a video on it

**and, your picture is the PSP version by the way:P

Here's another one

This guy claims it's a defective PS3 and FW update was at fault..

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hotfiree

I've got to claim, I've NEVER seen that before. Not even amongst looking for errors myself.:|

Glad you knew what to do though, which is always good. I really wish I could help and had something to add, but damn. This is completely new to me. I'll see if I can find something on it. But if it's a new error and you come across anything about it, please share it and keep us posted will ya?

I've had my browser freeze and even flash the screen and turn the console off once. But no notices like this.

Denji
Yeah sure man, will do. Not many people have heard of it. Thats why info is so scarce. I wanted to help make atleast one more person aware :)

Here's a video on it

Here's another one

Denji
Ill check those out after I post this, thanks man. Yeah I know its the psp one :P But it looks almost exactly the same on ps3 except for the font :P It also happens on computers, wii's and xbox's, so its on alot of different things.
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hotfiree
Here is some useful info for you guys incase you ever get it. Helps to know this stuff, just incase. ===================================== Got PS3 red screen when turning it on? Have searched around the Internet but found no fixes that work? Maybe you should try my way to fix the PS3 red screen of death. It has helped two PS3 players repair their red screen and I hope it will work for you as well. One way to fix red screen of death on PS3 is to update the firmware. You need to download the latest firmware from Sony's website. Prepare a USB memory stick, and create a folder called PS3 on it. Inside this PS3 folder, create a folder called UPDATE. Down load the PS3 firmware into the UPDATE folder. Connect the USB memory stick to your PS3. Hit and hold the power button on PS3 until you here 3 beeps. You may seen the menu screen on PS3. If not, press and hold the power again. From the onscreen menu, you should be able to install the new firmware. Update your PS3 and see what happens. No change? Go to the next method. The other way of PS3 red screen fix is to reformat your PS3 hard drive. There is high possibility that your PS3 hard drive has been corrupted which causes red screen. Therefore you have to reformat it, and restore the system to build the new database. Firstly, backup all your personal files onto an external USB drive. Take out the your HDD and reformat it using your PC. OR reformat on you PS3 too. Press and hold the power button on PS3 until you here 2 beeps. Then you got a menu where guide you format the HDD. After reformatting, reboot the PS3, there should be a screen asking you the restore the system. Follow the instructions and accept all the default settings. After that check to see how your PS3 works.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

hotfiree

Yeah sure man, will do. Not many people have heard of it. Thats why info is so scarce. I wanted to help make atleast one more person aware :)

Here's a video on it

Here's another one

Denji

Ill check those out after I post this, thanks man. Yeah I know its the psp one :P But it looks almost exactly the same on ps3 except for the font :P It also happens on computers and xbox's, so its on alot of different things.

LOL Yeah, I know Window's "blue screen of death" all too well!:P

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Red screen of death? Ok wow lol....................