Anyone else try the Siren: New Translation demo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

You have to have a HK or Japan account, but the game has english voice acting, and a lot of the menus are in english, enough to be playable. It's a small demo, it mostly gives you a taste of the atmosphere of the game. I never played the PS2 original, myself, but it seems to really remind me of Silent Hill with it's use of dark and lighting. (thats a good thing) It seems like the game will have the persistent horror atmosphere pegged down, at least. The gameplay is typical survival horror though, aka clumsy combat. Hopefully the full game has a bit more to it than hit the enemy twice, walk right behind them, and hit them some more. Though that does help make you feel like you're playing as a normal everyday person, which is likely the point, normal people in extraordinary circumstances, not trained soldiers.

I think horror fans should give it a shot. I definitely can't wait to see more. If it doesn't get a world wide release schedule, I'll have to go use one of those sites that will sale HK PSN cards, because I want to see more. (becuase as I understand it, it is an episodic PSN release, I could be wrong though)

BoobyUnger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BoobyUnger
Member since 2004 • 1305 Posts

is that the one that has the grudge kinda look on it because i couldnt get past the picture crap on it

Dr-Strangelove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dr-Strangelove
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts

I couldn't beat the first enemy you face, didn't like the feel of the controls or camera. Though I did only play for a few minutes and might try again.

Thing I hate about modern horror, is it relies solely on gross-out-factor. An example would be a human like creature jumps out at you and it's bloody and has an eyeball hanging out while moaning... ATM I'm more in to psychological type plots with some gore mixed in.

Didn't help that all the menus that I saw were prodominatly japanese so it made them kind of useless as far as knowning exactly what to do or experiancing any of the possible RP elements of the game, but that's to be expected when you download from a foreign store obviously.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

I tried it.

The atmosphere seemed to be like a Condemned game, except in third person.

You could pick up almost anything on the ground to use against those... things.

Unfortunately, the melee combat doesn't work nearly as well as the Condemned games.

The shooting mechanics are awkward at first.

You'll notice that there is absolutely no HUD. You'll have to estimate on how many more gunshots you have left and how close you are to dying... It makes the game seem creepier.

The lock-on shooting works quite well.

Graphics are a meh. If you look close-up to an object, you can see some polygons or boring, dull textures/colors.

Sometimes the lighting with a small flashlight was perfect. Other times, it was too dark for me.

Character voicework is also a meh, and it doesn't help that the animation has that funny, exaggerated feel. (like the Onimushia games)

Overall, I'm going to keep my eye on this one. Definitely has some things to work on, but it feels hella better than the other mediocre horror games I've played.

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Iszk

I couldn't beat the first enemy you face, didn't like the feel of the controls or camera. Though I did only play for a few minutes and might try again.Dr-Strangelove

He's easy when you realize you can hit him twice, run right by his attack, and wail on the back of his head uo to four times before he turns around. Like I said, I didn't play the full PS2 version, but most opinions of it had it as more consistent physcological horror of the kind you say you want, in the Silent Hill way of doing things. I guess I have to wait for the full game to confirm that, but the demo didn't seem over the top gory at all to me, so I'm sure my feeling that it leans that way is correct.

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iszk

Character voicework is also a meh, and it doesn't help that the animation has that funny, exaggerated feel. (like the Onimushia games)hazelnutman

Oh man, you're absolutely right with that comparison, it does remind me of Onimusha in that way. Warm fuzzy nostalgia. (Too bad that series lost me after the first one)

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Iszk

Also...

If you press circle, you can sneak. Do that, and then turn off your flashlight by pressing up on the d-pad twice. By sneaking around the carts, you can avoid that first fight. When you get the gun later, by shooting when the enemy is attacking you get an instant kill headshot.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I love the end, once you get the gun. It's sooo much fun having the creepy zombie things run toward you, then as soon as they're really close, pop one in their head for a one hit kill. :)
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
By the looks of things the main turn off of the original game has been fixed. They've actually made the game playable and not unrelentingly difficult. I liked what I saw in the demo, there seems to be a number of ways to handle each situation and we haven't even seen how sight-jacking will work in this game yet. I'm more looking foward to this then I am, say, Alone In The Dark (the recent gameplay videos of which looked pretty mediocre).
sm0ke311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sm0ke311
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
pretty cool game i liked first one im getting siren then silent hill5 and resident evil 5.
MGSFan27285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 MGSFan27285
Member since 2004 • 850 Posts

[QUOTE="Dr-Strangelove"]I couldn't beat the first enemy you face, didn't like the feel of the controls or camera. Though I did only play for a few minutes and might try again.Iszk

He's easy when you realize you can hit him twice, run right by his attack, and wail on the back of his head uo to four times before he turns around. Like I said, I didn't play the full PS2 version, but most opinions of it had it as more consistent physcological horror of the kind you say you want, in the Silent Hill way of doing things. I guess I have to wait for the full game to confirm that, but the demo didn't seem over the top gory at all to me, so I'm sure my feeling that it leans that way is correct.

i used to own the original, and it did go for more psychological than gore. the original wasn't too good though, very clunky and difficult.

GerrywithaG15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GerrywithaG15
Member since 2007 • 999 Posts
no too busy playing warhawk
GerrywithaG15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GerrywithaG15
Member since 2007 • 999 Posts
no too busy playing warhawk
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MyzeDivine
Member since 2007 • 916 Posts

A little past the first "zombie" when you get the first pickaxe, you can then kill all the enemies you see until you get the gun in one swing. Sneak up behind them with the flashlight off, and hit either square or L1 (whichever is the big swing) and it kills them in one hit. I like the sneak and flashlight aspects, but the game seems a little too dark in some places. The gun part was really cool, even though there needs to be a way to reload in between fights without the clip having to be empty (I realize you can just fire off the rest of the shots, but that's kind of stupid).

The atmosphere of the game is very promising, and I'm sure there can be some pretty freaky moments. At the moment, all I really hope they change is the lighting. The flashlight aspect is nice, but there needs to be a little more light with and without it. The rumble and screen change when an enemy is nearby is a nice feature, and will add to the suspense, especially if an enemy comes from a direction where you don't see them at first. Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on the game, as it seems pretty good so far, and there haven't been any good survival horror games in a while (unless you count Bioshock).

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Iszk

A little past the first "zombie" when you get the first pickaxe, you can then kill all the enemies you see until you get the gun in one swing. Sneak up behind them with the flashlight off, and hit either square or L1 (whichever is the big swing) and it kills them in one hit. I like the sneak and flashlight aspects, but the game seems a little too dark in some places. The gun part was really cool, even though there needs to be a way to reload in between fights without the clip having to be empty (I realize you can just fire off the rest of the shots, but that's kind of stupid).MyzeDivine

Press select and go to options, you can turn the brightness up. As for reloading, you missed the prompt after the gun is obtained. The controller with an afterimage that popped up was telling you to shake the controller up and down to reload it.

MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MyzeDivine
[QUOTE="MyzeDivine"]

A little past the first "zombie" when you get the first pickaxe, you can then kill all the enemies you see until you get the gun in one swing. Sneak up behind them with the flashlight off, and hit either square or L1 (whichever is the big swing) and it kills them in one hit. I like the sneak and flashlight aspects, but the game seems a little too dark in some places. The gun part was really cool, even though there needs to be a way to reload in between fights without the clip having to be empty (I realize you can just fire off the rest of the shots, but that's kind of stupid).Iszk

Press select and go to options, you can turn the brightness up. As for reloading, you missed the prompt after the gun is obtained. The controller with an afterimage that popped up was telling you to shake the controller up and down to reload it.

I saw the brightness option, but that is not the same as allowing more light, from say, the moonlight. If you just turn the brightness up, it gives a crappy saturated feel, just like any other game.

As for the reloading, I know you can reload, but I thought you could only reload after the gun was empty. I tried quite a few times to reload after firing a couple of shots and it did nothing. It made it very annoying because it always ran out right when a zombie was about 1/2 a foot away from me. If it can be reloaded before the gun is empty, then I would just complain that the Sixaxis motion isn't working too well, because I "popped" the controller in several different ways and it wouldn't reload, but reloaded fine when it was empty.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
The reason and the major one, I would be playing this game is if I would be extremely scared. The demo didn't scare the crap out of me, so I'm still unsure. I could forgive a lot of things about this game if it could get me to the level Fatal Frame did.
Assassinslay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Assassinslay
Member since 2007 • 1366 Posts
Nope I havent :P
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MyzeDivine

The reason and the major one, I would be playing this game is if I would be extremely scared. The demo didn't scare the crap out of me, so I'm still unsure. I could forgive a lot of things about this game if it could get me to the level Fatal Frame did.romainsimoni

That's the problem with demos. I doubt any demo could be scary, simply because you won't be playing it for more than a few minutes, so you won't be able to become immersed in the story. That's why I'm gonna wait till it's closer to release and hear more opinions from people who play all the way through it. You are right, this needs to be "scary" because it don't/won't have the action elements to make it great like RE.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
The demo scared the **** out of me. The creatures were scary and the sound effects made me cry.
copperheadfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 copperheadfang
Member since 2004 • 411 Posts
Easiest demo ever and Im not sure they need that static look all over the game it's kind of annoying but the sounds and atmosphere are great also it does'nt look all that next gen.
Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

The demo scared the **** out of me. The creatures were scary and the sound effects made me cry. BioShockOwnz

Lol after the tips you gave me I ran thru the demo with ease definitely a game I wont play alone the sound is top notch when you hit the monsters you really feel it a first day purchase for me.