Any advice on thinning down games on want list?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

A while ago I posted a thread about if you think I've got too many games on my wishlist. And now I figured it out on myself - yes, they are way too many. Luckily, I still have a whole lot of games I didn't buy yet. And now that I started playing WoW again, I really don't play other video games as much as I used to. I even sometimes feel I'm just forcing myself to play other games and forcing myself to complete a game just to start the next one, and when I'm on the next one, the same, and so on.

I just did my calculations, and if I'm to regularly play games, I would need about 2 years at least if I dedicate enough time to beat all of the games I currently have and the games on my wishlist. Though that may not seem like an apocalypse, it actually is. Reason? Because all the time new games get released, and I won't be able to keep up, or my brain will blow up. And now that the PS4 is on the way, I think it's literally impossible for me to beat all those games. And I haven't even started with the PS Vita yet!

So, if any of you guys have got some advice on how to thin down the list of games, I would greatly appreciate it. Thing is, every time I open the list to reduce it, I just can't seem to be able to pick the games I REALLY want, so I end up not removing any game. That's the problem...

Thanks in advance.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

-Stop playing WoW

-Take out some sequels. You don't really need to play (for example) Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Assassins Creed 3 when their predecessors are still recent and basically the same.

-Ignore any boring side quest filler in games that have it.

I'm curious about the games you have on this vast list of yours. Maybe post it because I don't have any other ideas.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Post the list, maybe we can help you decide which to play by telling you which aren't worth it and which are.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

I had a massive backlog last year and I quickly took it down actually by playing the shortest games first. Also stop playing WoW, that should help. List your backlog so we can help better.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ameer27

Ok, first, I don't think I can stop playing WoW because it's my favorite game. Also quitting other video games is not an option because I simply love video games.

And second, where should I post the list? There are like 150 or something games on it... That's for all the systems combined. So should I post it in the game list section of my profile or where?

And third, thanks for the replies. lol :)

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

Here's what I did.

- Reduce play time on WOW (Only play raids, mine were at night)

- If you're in school/college do your assignments early in advance i.e during class or something then play a game the rest of the day

- Start with games that seem shorter or you think will take the least amount of time like an FPS.

- Depending on your intentions, the game(s) you like the most you can play through then come back to it after a while to 100% it...that's what I do 100% of the time. 

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

As others have said, post your wish list. I checked your profile and didn't find anything on your lists there.

-

1. If you love WoW, you'll always love WoW. It's not going anywhere fast. Put it aside. If you do truly love video games, you'll think hard on your situation. 1 game, or dozens of others? Seems simple for me. C'est la vie.

2. Why even consider adopting the PS4 any where near launch? If it's a need to have the newest model, you may have other issues besides which game to play. Launch window games are notoriously 'weak' and in fewer number.

3. Play the ones that are shortest. That way you can burn through a few right away and be ready to invest time with the longer ones.

4. Make a top 5 most wanted list for the year. Only buy those when you have nothing left to play.

-

I have a rather large wish list too. There are a couple of duplicates on it, since I mainly use it for gift suggestions to the wife and family members. But doable, for sure.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#8 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Set a sale price you would pay for the game you want.

If you don't find the game for that price, don't buy it.

I set $20.00 for Skyrim new and so far, I haven't found it for that price, so I don't bother with it.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I bet you could cut that list down to 20 if you simply remove all the RPG's, they're a soul crushing wast of time, World of Warcraft aswell.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

A while ago I posted a thread about if you think I've got too many games on my wishlist. And now I figured it out on myself - yes, they are way too many. Luckily, I still have a whole lot of games I didn't buy yet. And now that I started playing WoW again, I really don't play other video games as much as I used to. I even sometimes feel I'm just forcing myself to play other games and forcing myself to complete a game just to start the next one, and when I'm on the next one, the same, and so on.

I just did my calculations, and if I'm to regularly play games, I would need about 2 years at least if I dedicate enough time to beat all of the games I currently have and the games on my wishlist. Though that may not seem like an apocalypse, it actually is. Reason? Because all the time new games get released, and I won't be able to keep up, or my brain will blow up. And now that the PS4 is on the way, I think it's literally impossible for me to beat all those games. And I haven't even started with the PS Vita yet!

So, if any of you guys have got some advice on how to thin down the list of games, I would greatly appreciate it. Thing is, every time I open the list to reduce it, I just can't seem to be able to pick the games I REALLY want, so I end up not removing any game. That's the problem...

Thanks in advance.

Ameer27

get metro last night in May and the last of us in June.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ameer27

Ok guys I posted my entire wish list, as well as my current collection. However, that's excluding upcoming games.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

Ok guys I posted my entire wish list, as well as my current collection. However, that's excluding upcoming games.

Ameer27
where did you post it? a link might be helpful
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ameer27
[QUOTE="Ameer27"]

jcopp72
where did you post it? a link might be helpful

Yea, right. Forgot about that. Go to my profile and in my games list I put almost all of my current collection and my wish list.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

You're asking for advice on, basically, self-control & impulse buying? The fact that you recognize the problem in yourself is the first step..

1. Remember, when you are in a game store, that you shouldn't buy ANYTHING new until you have completed one that's already on your shelf. One-to-One.

2. Don't buy ANYTHING until it has come down to $20 or less. Games won't evaporate or disappear just because you don't buy them right then & there. They all reach that price point (or even less), eventually.

3. Get off WoW, you may like it, but it's a never-ending story and a life leech. You know this in your heart, no matter how much you love it, you're on a treadmill. I'm NOT criticizing your involvement, in ANY way, with this statement. But you know we're right about getting off WoW if you want to make headway in other titles.

:)

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulekani

You're asking for advice on, basically, self-control & impulse buying? The fact that you recognize the problem in yourself is the first step..

1. Remember, when you are in a game store, that you shouldn't buy ANYTHING new until you have completed one that's already on your shelf. One-to-One.

2. Don't buy ANYTHING until it has come down to $20 or less. Games won't evaporate or disappear just because you don't buy them right then & there. They all reach that price point (or even less), eventually.

3. Get off WoW, you may like it, but it's a never-ending story and a life leech. You know this in your heart, no matter how much you love it, you're on a treadmill. I'm NOT criticizing your involvement, in ANY way, with this statement. But you know we're right about getting off WoW if you want to make headway in other titles.

MonkeySpot
I agree, except I totaly wana critisize people who play World Of Warcraft.
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ameer27

MonkeySpot
No it's not impulse buying. I buy them at a pretty comfortable pace and I also NEVER buy games at full price, be it whatever game it is. And also, I buy my games online, not from a store. Lol :) If I was to buy games from a store here in Israel I would have to make a save up plan just for one game! Games are insanely expensive here, reaching 110$ per game!
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ameer27
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Lulekani

Ok, thanks for criticizing. How good for you that you don't play WoW.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Ameer27

Lol, you're welcome.
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ameer27
[QUOTE="Ameer27"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] I agree, except I totaly wana critisize people who play World Of Warcraft.Lulekani

Lol, you're welcome.

:) Lol. I like your sense of humor! I thought you would insult or something. :)
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

there are always a bunch of games that i want to play but i don't try to convince myself that i don't want them. i just acknowledge that there are tons of potentially good games and prioritize them.

it doesn't have to be an exact ranking or anything either. like you mentioned you have 150 games you want to play. surely there are a handful you want to play most so just buy one of those the next time you want a game (maybe one is cheaper or something). yeah, there are still a ton of others you want to play but that's not a bad thing. i'd be more worried if there were no games i wanted to play.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Ameer27"][QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Ameer27"] Ok, thanks for criticizing. How good for you that you don't play WoW.

Lol, you're welcome.

I only insult people when my selfesteem is low.
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ameer27
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Ameer27"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] Lol, you're welcome.

Well, some people tend to quickly go toward insulting, or taking what you tell them as an offense. But I liked your style. I mean you just took it as a joke and you even joked with me! That's how people should be! And it's great that you have high self-esteem. I could learn much from people like you! :) Very nice meeting you.
Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ameer27

there are always a bunch of games that i want to play but i don't try to convince myself that i don't want them. i just acknowledge that there are tons of potentially good games and prioritize them.

it doesn't have to be an exact ranking or anything either. like you mentioned you have 150 games you want to play. surely there are a handful you want to play most so just buy one of those the next time you want a game (maybe one is cheaper or something). yeah, there are still a ton of others you want to play but that's not a bad thing. i'd be more worried if there were no games i wanted to play.

LoG-Sacrament
You know? You're right. There are actually a handful of games that I really want to play. Then I guess I'll do what you told me and I'll get the ones I really want first, and maybe I even won't get the other ones. And from now on I'll try not to buy games unless I don't have anything to play. Currently I have tons of games to play, so I guess I'm not buying any game any time soon. :)
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Ameer27"][QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Ameer27"] :) Lol. I like your sense of humor! I thought you would insult or something. :)

Well, some people tend to quickly go toward insulting, or taking what you tell them as an offense. But I liked your style. I mean you just took it as a joke and you even joked with me! That's how people should be! And it's great that you have high self-esteem. I could learn much from people like you! :) Very nice meeting you.

:) *BLUSHING*