About to buy a PS3...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insanechild92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 insanechild92
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

I've had a PS2 for years, I currently own God of War (the first one), andKingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I've finally decided to break down and buy my first PS3. Sell it to me. What should I know? How durable is it (RROD from the 360?)? What games should I try? Etc..

Vanillamarble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vanillamarble
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts
I love my PS3. If you get a Slim there is a 99.99999 percent chance it will not break down. And there are a ton of great games. Get both Uncharted games, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, etc. All PS3 exclusives are amazing, so you can just stick with those and Red Dead Redemption and youll be fine. You will not regret buying it.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts

Slims have a slimto none chance of breaking down the same way the original ones did.

Although this may get locked due to the game reccomendation part of it, also get infamous 1 and 2. Playing through them now and they are a lot of fun.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
If you like FPS I recommend The Resistance Series and with the 2rd around the corner its perfect for it. TPS Uncharted series. With the 3rd around the corner...lol its perfect for it. Heavenly Sword if you like action , GoW 3 for hack and Slash , Valkyria Chronicles Demon's Souls for RPGs, Platforming Id say the Ratchet and Clank Series. Sports ?? umm Madden 12 is looking and playing good imo.
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silentnightmere
If you like FPS I recommend The Resistance Series and with the 2rd around the corner its perfect for it. TPS Uncharted series. With the 3rd around the corner...lol its perfect for it. Heavenly Sword if you like action , GoW 3 for hack and Slash , Valkyria Chronicles Demon's Souls for RPGs, Platforming Id say the Ratchet and Clank Series. Sports ?? umm Madden 12 is looking and playing good imo. silentnightmere
3rd not 2nd on Resistance. The first are out. and great.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]If you like FPS I recommend The Resistance Series and with the 2rd around the corner its perfect for it. TPS Uncharted series. With the 3rd around the corner...lol its perfect for it. Heavenly Sword if you like action , GoW 3 for hack and Slash , Valkyria Chronicles Demon's Souls for RPGs, Platforming Id say the Ratchet and Clank Series. Sports ?? umm Madden 12 is looking and playing good imo. silentnightmere

and MLB 11 the show, great too. PS3 exclusive to boot.
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silentnightmere
[QUOTE="silentnightmere"][QUOTE="silentnightmere"]If you like FPS I recommend The Resistance Series and with the 2rd around the corner its perfect for it. TPS Uncharted series. With the 3rd around the corner...lol its perfect for it. Heavenly Sword if you like action , GoW 3 for hack and Slash , Valkyria Chronicles Demon's Souls for RPGs, Platforming Id say the Ratchet and Clank Series. Sports ?? umm Madden 12 is looking and playing good imo. MC-Reap

Yes there you go. I knew there was a ps3 exclusive sports game I couldnt remember the name though.
Avatar image for XxshadowgamerxX
XxshadowgamerxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 XxshadowgamerxX
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

also if you get uncharted and resistance get a PS3 bluetooth headset so you can chat with people other that here is the list of must-haves (no order)

Uncharted 1 Drake's Fortune

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Infamous

Infamous 2

Reistance: Fall of Man

Resistance 2

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time

God of War 3

Gran Turismo 5

these are all exclusive to PS3

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

If your thinking about buying a PS3 there is no need to sell the system to you. You got a good idea why you want it already. As to games I would recommend:

Saints row 2

Uncharted 1 & 2

Mass effect 2(mainly because it comes with all the DLC accept for the very most recent that is coming out or already has this year)

Batman:Arkham Asylum

Killzone 2 & 3

infamous1 & 2

Awesome-Possum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Awesome-Possum
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts

If your thinking about buying a PS3 there is no need to sell the system to you. You got a good idea why you want it already. As to games I would recommend:

Saints row 2

Uncharted 1 & 2

Mass effect 2(mainly because it comes with all the DLC accept for the very most recent that is coming out or already has this year)

Batman:Arkham Asylum

Killzone 2 & 3

infamous1 & 2

duane27
This The PS3 slim literally wont fail unless neglected. By that I mean kept in an area where it will over heat (carpet, tight spaces, cabinets high temperature areas) . The Uncharted games are a must. Also Id like to add red dead redemption, especially if you like westerns. Grand Theft Auto 4, LA Noire, Arkham Asylum, Little Big Planet 2, Resistance, God of War. Getting a PS3 is a no-brainer, buying games in a order to match your budget and wants is quite a puzzle though.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Welcome to the PS3. God of War 3 is a good place to start off. Get the 320 PS3 edition 3000. The lastest revision. Runs cooler, quieter than the current PS3 slimlines. Plus it is 20% lighter. Most resistant to YLOD

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Hi, the PS3 has way-way too many good games to download from PSN to list. Just go on there and read the descriptions and/or go to the demo section and download the demos. Here is a sight that list co-op PS3 games.

www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=2&page=0

The PS3 has tons of great disc games to rent from www.gamefly.com or to buy. The PS3 has rechargable controllers, a Bluray HD movie drive, Wifi or CAT 5 Ethernet built in for online play. It's HDD can be easily upgraded with any SATA 5400 rpm laptop HDD. I have upgraded mine all to 500gb. You do this simply by using a Flashdrive and getting the current update saved onto it from www.us.playstation.com and searching for it. It has a web browser that allows you to search for 1000,s of free downloadable themes straight to your PS3 by using google to search for "PS3 themes". You can create your own custom themes with free software downloaded to your PC "PS3 Theme Creator 2.0" and "Paint.NET" and using a USB flashdrive to take them to your PS3. you store them in a file you name PS3 in capitals, then inside that folder you create another folder called THEME and you put your P3T theme file in the THEME folder. It took me about 4 hours to self learn how to make my first PS3 theme. Since then I've made 50-60 themes for family and friends, many of which I've put pics of them and family in the top XMB buttons. You can save pics from you web browser straight to your PHOTO on the XMB by click on any pic on a web page and hitting the triangle button and clicking on the file button and selecting save to PHOTO. Then you can use that pic as your ID pic by logg ing in to that ID and hitting the triangle button and selecting "information" and then highlighting the ID pic and then use own photo and find it in your photos and apply it.

PS- The PS3 wont fail on you unless you keep it in a place where ther isn't planty of ventilation. Also check the vents about every 4-6 months and be sure they are clear of dust build-up.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#13 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I've had a PS2 for years, I currently own God of War (the first one), andKingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I've finally decided to break down and buy my first PS3. Sell it to me. What should I know? How durable is it (RROD from the 360?)? What games should I try? Etc..

insanechild92

Ok first off I recommend buying a PS3 slim model brand new, it's VERY rare for the slim models to break or have system failure rates. Of course it CAN happen but it's just not very often (nothing like the RROD) and the slim model failures are usually caused by people not taking care of the system. So I can gurantee you that you won't have any issues with it as long as you take care of it properly (slim model mind you...not the fat models as those do tend to break)

As for games you should get Uncharted 2 and Uncharted Drakes Fortune because they are simply awesome and are the PS3 main poster exclusive, sort of like how Halo is the 360 poster exclusive. If you buy a PS3 you buy the Uncharted games just like if you buy a 360 you buy the Halo games, the PS3 and Uncharted just go together.

Some other great exclusives are Metal Gear Solid 4 which is simply epic, it has some pretty long cut scenes (some go past an hour actually) but the story is pretty good. Although this is coming from a long time MGS fan so mabey you might not like the game as much as I do, but it's still great overall.

There is also Little Big Planet 1 and 2, these games look like cutesy kid games and they are in a way, but these games have the BEST level creation I have ever seen on consoles, literraly you can make ANYTHING you want like someone made an Assassin Creed level , a Halo level, Family Guy levels ect... and they look EXACTLY like it too, not just taked on stuff. Once you play some of the creative stuff on there you will be hooked and the game never gets boring either, there are always new levels to play.

You mentioned you own the God of War gams on your PS2, well God of War 3 is carzy! It's fast and violent and has some pretty hardcore boss fights. I would definately recommend it if your a fan of that genre.

If your a FPS fan then there are the Resistance games and the Killzone games. Both series are pretty great FPS but I still think Halo Reach is better than both of these games. Resistance has a more WW2 but with aliens feel to it (at least the first one) but they are known for their crazy MP battles with 60 players. I personally think that is overdoing it butthe Resistancegames have pretty solid online communities so I guess they enjoy it. Killzone is great as well and is not only a technical achievement for FPS console games, it also hasan addictive MP mode that is very chaotic and feels like a warzone and yet has a lot of strategy at the same time. It's pretty fun.

Heavy Rain is good if your into storylines but the intro is a little slow to be honest...

And of course you have the multiplats aswell which look just as good as the 360 version (despite what fanboys say, you will NEVER see a difference in the first place unless you go to lens of truth or something like that)

PSN lets you play online for free (no it doesn't lag anymore than Xbox Live does) the difference between Xbox live and PSN though is that the updates on PSN are much slower than Lives and the messaging system on PSN is pretty outdated compared to Xbox Live (PSN has to type out messages where as Live you can send voice messages and do party chat ect..) Oh and the PSN Store has less content compared to XBL and the PSN Store gets things a little slower than Xbox Live like the COD map packs, PSN users had to wait a month to get them where as Live had them right away.

As far as online gameplay goes though, both Xbox Live and PSN are the same. Neither one "lags" more than the other and they both have about the same number of players on games so you'll be able to findjust as manypeople to play with on PSN. Everything else is the same, they both have gamertags, they both have trophies/achievements, they both have friends list with comments, you can compare trophies with friends just like achievements ect..

One other difference though is that Xbox Live has more people with headsets, most sessions on PSN I get into only have about half the players using headsets where as Xbox Live everyone has one, wether or not that matters is up to you.

Oh and you have a Blu Ray player which is AWESOME!

Beyond that I can't think of anything else, oh and sorry for the long post...I'm just trying to help you out is all :)

insanechild92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 insanechild92
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

Thanks guys! Just went out and picked it up this morning. Still messing around with the interface and what not. Also grabbed LBP1 for my starting game. Very fun! Did notice that downloads seem to take forever. Currently downloading the Resistance 1 demo, which on my 360 would take no time at all, but four hours later its just at 80%. Any idea whats up with that? Bluray is definately what I'm looking forward to, I'm still using a VCR haha. I'm looking at getting the Resistance games (if i like the demo, if it ever finishes downloading), god of war games, ratchet and clank games, LBP2, ico and shadow of the colossus, silent hill collection. My buddy told me about uncharted but im really not sure about that game. any other ideas (no sports)? also, i dont see myself getting into any online action for the ps3. I mainly use my 360 for online stuff. This rig is all about me. I don't wanna be bothered by friends wanting to play this and that when im relaxing. any other ideas are very appreciated. Thanks again for a warm welcome!

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts
[QUOTE="silentnightmere"][QUOTE="silentnightmere"]If you like FPS I recommend The Resistance Series and with the 2rd around the corner its perfect for it. TPS Uncharted series. With the 3rd around the corner...lol its perfect for it. Heavenly Sword if you like action , GoW 3 for hack and Slash , Valkyria Chronicles Demon's Souls for RPGs, Platforming Id say the Ratchet and Clank Series. Sports ?? umm Madden 12 is looking and playing good imo. MC-Reap

Yes MLB 11 The Show , get it. One of mine fav exclusives on PS3!! Plus Get Dead Nation
YouVandal3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YouVandal3
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts

HEAVY RAIN!

I just got a ps3 in Feb and I do not regret it at all, first game i got was God of war 3 and heavy rain, both of which are amazing.

I skipped uncharted 1 though and played 2 and that games like a long movie its epic.

also check out the infamous games and L.A Noire.

have funnnn (check out PSHome too.)