About Shadow of Colossus.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

So I know you fight giants in this game......but is that all you do? Are there secrets to find, puzzles to solve, other enemies to fight? Or is it just find the giants, slay them, game complete?

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

There are some collectibles I think. I can't recall... The world is pretty big but pretty empty since there are no enemies besides the colossus. The colossus boss battles are really really good though and some can be seen a bit as puzzles themselves. I think it will be on sale on PS+ for $5. At that price its an absolute steal.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

There are no other enemies to fight. There are secrets to uncover in the world, you just have to have the curiosity and desire to find them. There are plenty of unlock-able items available in time attack mode that add to the experience. Have you played Team Ico's other game, Ico?

If you are not an explorer at heart, you may want to pass on SotC. The game has been out for 8+ years and people still believe there are more secrets to be unearthed. Personally, I have put dozens of hours into it and will carry it along through the decades for as long as possible. It's a masterpiece.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's a masterpiece. There are I think 16 giants? That's it. There are some secrets, but the game just has that "x" factor. It's just so lonely, and so beautiful. Play it.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ristactionjakso

@Namgis said:

There are no other enemies to fight. There are secrets to uncover in the world, you just have to have the curiosity and desire to find them. There are plenty of unlock-able items available in time attack mode that add to the experience. Have you played Team Ico's other game, Ico?

If you are not an explorer at heart, you may want to pass on SotC. The game has been out for 8+ years and people still believe there are more secrets to be unearthed. Personally, I have put dozens of hours into it and will carry it along through the decades for as long as possible. It's a masterpiece.

I am an explorer at heart. Most open world, or games that offer some exploration or secrets, take a lot longer for me to beat because I check every nook and cranny lol.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

@ristactionjakso: Then you should have a lot of fun exploring the world. It's a worthwhile investment, especially so if you pick up the collection. Ico is also a wonderful experience.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I heard there's no city's or towns to explore either, is this true?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@ristactionjakso: @BattleSpectre: Yes there are no Cities or Towns to explore, it isn't that sort of game, your sole purpose in the game is to reach each giant and work out how you have to climb them and find their weak points, it is a vast wilderness world, it is not an open world, it is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out in years and years. . It's an absolutely amazing game full of charm and breathtaking sites, if you haven't played it, you need to, just to understand why everyone who has played both ICO & SoTc, really really wants The Last Guardian

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I still have it on my system from when it was free on PS+. I just got through with ICO recently, and it was okay, but not the masterpiece its made out to be. I guess I just find it hard to really enjoy older games I haven't played before. I was going to immediately start on Shadow of the Colossus, but I'm postponing it for now. I've heard bad things about its controls and the camera angle and whatnot. It just sounds potentially frustrating. But I'll still probably give it a shot at some point.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ristactionjakso

@bezza2011 said:

@ristactionjakso: @BattleSpectre: Yes there are no Cities or Towns to explore, it isn't that sort of game, your sole purpose in the game is to reach each giant and work out how you have to climb them and find their weak points, it is a vast wilderness world, it is not an open world, it is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out in years and years. . It's an absolutely amazing game full of charm and breathtaking sites, if you haven't played it, you need to, just to understand why everyone who has played both ICO & SoTc, really really wants The Last Guardian

Ya I bought SotC, but skipped Ico. Ico doesnt seem like my type of game. I might enjoy SotC, but at $5, it's not a big loss if I don't.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

I heard there's no city's or towns to explore either, is this true?

no cities or towns either. you defeat the colossi with minimal distractions. the game wants you to reflect on each encounter so the spaces in between bosses resemble big zen gardens.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The colossi are the obvious selling point of the game. The combination of them along with exploring that forsaken land, being exposed to an alien culture under precarious circumstances, and its strange story are what make Shadow of the Colossus one of the best video games ever made.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

there are unlockables via time attack mode normal and hard, I never managed all the coolest ones on hard because way back when it launched on PS2 the time attack clear times were making me hate the game which I loved, so I quit trying to get the last 5 or so. You unlock one thing per colossi and they're obviously listed via Google search various places on the net. I recall different color Argo/horse... white and black, your sword reflects all the time without needing the sun, ICO horns, I forgot most... but I read that you can unlock a parachute so when you fall off the flying colossi you can hang glide back to the ground etc, I never got that one if it's real.