About FPS, too many this gen or just right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 izmickey
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

I've been wondering i have been looking at which games to buy to add to my library. A lot of games i run into are FPS. I have/had COD 4, resistance 2, killzone 2 and COD WAW. So then i wanted something different like RPG, racing, fighting, strategy etc. I love variety in my game library. Im getting pretty sick of all the FPS....am i the only one who thinks this? I sold COD WAW and COD 4 so i can buy some old school games. I would only buy FPS if they offer something really different for example like MAG. It offers 256 players killing each other so it sounds cool. What do you guys think?

unknownceltic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 unknownceltic
Member since 2008 • 243 Posts

Yeah Im in the same boat... most of the games that arnt FPS, arnt allways good, tho there r a couple... so I turned 2 single player only games..

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
Too many, the ps3 is missing RPG's i mean come on Ps2 was king of RPG's and i would also like to see new ip's like Bioshock DeadSPace
izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 izmickey

Yea i know what you mean, i miss RPGs. To be honest those in IMO are worth every single dollar they sell for because of how long they last. Im dying to play PS3's exclusive FFXIII versus.

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts

Yea i know what you mean, i miss RPGs. To be honest those in IMO are worth every single dollar they sell for because of how long they last. Im dying to play PS3's exclusive FFXIII versus.

izmickey
Personnally, im waiting for something like a Namco tales series, or skies of arcadia 2.
runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

Well, they keep selling, and they keep getting better and better. It used to be that FPS games were just about shooting everything that moves (Doom, Quake) but now FPS games are cinimatic (Call of Duty 4: MW)and involve careful planning and stratagy (MAG) and some even take the place of survival horror games (Fear, Left 4 Dead).

So i think its just right.

macho_c_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 macho_c_a
Member since 2006 • 1007 Posts
Too many, the ps3 is missing RPG's i mean come on Ps2 was king of RPG's and i would also like to see new ip's like Bioshock DeadSPaceJavieralijandro
hell yeah, we need mor RPGs
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 milan22
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts
ye TC... i share the same feeling :( B4 it was: Too many RPGS not enough FPSs But now..... Too many FPSs. Not enough RPGs. i learned how to live with it :) atleast
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 milan22
i don't think any RPG beats the elder scrolls universe... ahhh... i just can't wait for the new Elder Scrolls.. 2010 !! :)
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Just enough.
runekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 runekey
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"]Too many, the ps3 is missing RPG's i mean come on Ps2 was king of RPG's and i would also like to see new ip's like Bioshock DeadSPacemacho_c_a

White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Age Origin, and The Last Guardian say hi.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

[QUOTE="macho_c_a"][QUOTE="Javieralijandro"]Too many, the ps3 is missing RPG's i mean come on Ps2 was king of RPG's and i would also like to see new ip's like Bioshock DeadSPacerunekey

White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Age Origin, and The Last Guardian say hi.

We don't know if The Last Guardian is an RPG.
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 milan22
I HATE RPGS!1budgies
then ok return to ur COD4..
84dontblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 84dontblink
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts

i agree with TC, whilst i am not the largest fan of RPG there needs to be more than there currently is now.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

i don't think any RPG beats the elder scrolls universe... ahhh... i just can't wait for the new Elder Scrolls.. 2010 !! :)milan22

Hate to break it to you but Bethesda just said they are not currently working on Elder Scrolls V, and won't be for awhile. :cry:

Anyway, I think there are just the right amount of first person shooters. You guys do realize that you don't have to play all of them if you don't want to right? And for rpg fans it looks like Demon's Souls, Dragon Age Origins, Alpha Protocol (It might be good) will keep you busy until the Final Fantasy games hit.

danome01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danome01
Member since 2008 • 211 Posts

not too many fps, but lacking in other genres, at least for me, its lacking in the rpg section.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 milan22

[QUOTE="milan22"]i don't think any RPG beats the elder scrolls universe... ahhh... i just can't wait for the new Elder Scrolls.. 2010 !! :)amsfm6

Hate to break it to you but Bethesda just said they are not currently working on Elder Scrolls V, and won't be for awhile. :cry:

Anyway, I think there are just the right amount of first person shooters. You guys do realize that you don't have to play all of them if you don't want to right? And for rpg fans it looks like Demon's Souls, Dragon Age Origins, Alpha Protocol (It might be good) will keep you busy until the Final Fantasy games hit.

oh ye alpha protocol would be a great appetizer :) ! with all that sauce and the free coke... ohh thats great! :)
izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 izmickey

You know some of you guys made me think. Maybe its the fact that there are a healthy amount of FPS being made and a LACK of every other genre that iot makes it seem like there are TOO many FPS....anyone agree?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Well, at the beginning there was, but now this gen is rounded out enough I think

MrGanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGanny
Member since 2009 • 2911 Posts

What I did was, I didn't buy CoD4 nor Cod5, my only FPS are Killzone 2 and Bioshock. Just don't buy every fps they sell. And that's it. :)

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I remember when the PS2 had crappy FPS and great RPGs. Now it's the other way around lol.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Too many of course, I can name 20 of them on the top of my head on the PS3 alone:

Resistance 1

Resistance 2

Killzone 2

Haze

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty World at World

Rainbow Six Vegas

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

MAG

Conflict: Denied Ops

Turok

Battlefield: Bad Company

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Far Cry 2

Aliens v.s. Predator

Bioshock

Bioshock 2

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

The Darkness

And there's more!:o Try any other genre, some people call the PS3 Shooterstation 3.:lol:

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
I could use a little less FPS and a little more RPG.
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 milan22

You know some of you guys made me think. Maybe its the fact that there are a healthy amount of FPS being made and a LACK of every other genre that iot makes it seem like there are TOO many FPS....anyone agree?

izmickey
ye man. compared to other genres, FPS is TOO many!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="izmickey"]

milan22
ye man. compared to other genres, FPS is TOO many!

Look at my list, it's only 20 and there's more, also God of War 3 is in true 1080p.
Dante_May_Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dante_May_Die
Member since 2008 • 1505 Posts

yea we need more RPGs everyone check this new rpg called Resonance of Fate its made by Tri-Ace it looks really good =)

masterfarticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 masterfarticus
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

Not enough!!! I still want a followup to Project Snowblind....

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

I've been wondering i have been looking at which games to buy to add to my library. A lot of games i run into are FPS. I have/had COD 4, resistance 2, killzone 2 and COD WAW. So then i wanted something different like RPG, racing, fighting, strategy etc. I love variety in my game library. Im getting pretty sick of all the FPS....am i the only one who thinks this? I sold COD WAW and COD 4 so i can buy some old school games. I would only buy FPS if they offer something really different for example like MAG. It offers 256 players killing each other so it sounds cool. What do you guys think?

izmickey

RPG= Fallout 3, Oblivian, Demons Souls, Disgaea 3, Folklore

Racing= Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed(any), MotorStorm, Dirt, Gran Turismo, Grid

Fighting= BlazBlue, Street Fighter 4, Soul Calibur, Tekken 6, Marvel vs Street Fighter

Strategy= Red Alert 3, Civilization(i forget what its called), theres a few on PSN as well

izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 izmickey

[QUOTE="izmickey"]

Eazy1891

RPG= Fallout 3, Oblivian, Demons Souls, Disgaea 3, Folklore

Racing= Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed(any), MotorStorm, Dirt, Gran Turismo, Grid

Fighting= BlazBlue, Street Fighter 4, Soul Calibur, Tekken 6, Marvel vs Street Fighter

Strategy= Red Alert 3, Civilization(i forget what its called), theres a few on PSN as well

Funny you should mention marvel VS street fighter, the one for psone, i love that game. Its expensive though, it goes for 60 or more on ebay. BTW, good list.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

No, in the beginning of this gen there were, but not anymore

goyolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 goyolap
Member since 2005 • 477 Posts

too many fps I miss my good ps2, when i use to play persona 3 and 4 and final fantasy 12 and 10 now fallout is the nearest thing to a good rpg not even fair

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

Like most said already, more RPGs would be great.

Lucid1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lucid1314
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

I like FPS games and all but yeah, there's too many FPS games and the problem I mostly have with them is they all seem to focus much more of the multiplayer. I like when my games have a great GREAT single player (I thought Killzone 2 did this) and then also have a great multiplayer too. Like I appreciate when developers will worry more about having a memorable single player and then worry about the multiplayer

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
To put it simply, far too many. The amount of FPS that get shoveled out is beyond overkill. With this many of them coming out the devs are only hurting themselves. No one will buy FPS X because everyone already has FPS Y and are only going to buy Z. The devs should go off, work on something else, let the FPS genre starve a little bit, and then maybe come back to it. I don't want 10 FPS a year, 1-2 is plenty.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Theres Just Enough Good ones, and just enough bad ones...

PimpiNbananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PimpiNbananas
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts

Just right, Fighters really have taken a decrease this gen

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Too many. Especially in the beginning of PS3's lifecycle.

HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 HarshGamer
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts
Too many....
izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 izmickey

The only RPG i played on my ps3 is oblivion and next will be fallout 3 GOTY edition. Still waiting on that FFXIII versus.

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#41 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

Yeah we do need alot more JRPGs and what pisses me off is that there are so many of them exclusive to Japan that are exclusive to PS3 and yet the Japanese do not want to port their games over to the states. Don't they want more sales. I mean there are alot of anime fans.

timottt2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 timottt2000
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts
EXACTLY what i was thinking. most of the games out are either FPS/Action or Fighting. you'd think that since the launch of ps3 there'd be other genres to choose from. i mean, there are but you know, there're so-so. guess developers use the excuse that they want to 'harness' the power of the ps3. common man, bring back the fun games like twisted metal, power stone, freedom fighters, etc. add online play and BAM! you have a winner.
izmickey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 izmickey

Yea man, twisted metal was bad ass. JRPG's are needed too. For some reason i feel as if some developers would rather make FPS games because it takes less time to make than a RPG, time IS money.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
Way way way way too many.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Too many.

In every PS gen, there's always a dominant genre. PS1 - platformers, PS2 - RPG, PS3 - FPS