gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

I have had my ps4 and router connected for over a year with no issues. Yesterday I experienced a problem I still can't understand.

1. While gaming on ps4 my wireless gateway (connected to ps4 via lan) reset and restarted about 5 times in an hour.

2. Called comcast spoke to two Indian reps and one American who knew what she was doing. Refreshed my Gateway and it started working properly again.

3. Modem has been working fine ever since until I started up my ps4. After a few mins the whole problem started again.

4. Unplugged the ps4 lan cable and it has worked fine every since. I can even connect ps4 wirelessly but if I plug my lan line back up the whole problem starts again.

Anyone heard of this and how to fix it?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Wrong Forum for this (this is System Wars, and this post is better suited in the PS area), but while I have you here...

Nintendo Network FTW!!!!

---

Could be your Router is starting to go bad. Good Luck.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@SolidTy:

PS4 WiFi sucks. Any word was it improved on the Slim and Pro?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

say what?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Have you tried calling an Asian rep? Indians and Americans are unreliable tbh.

Have you tried washing your router with soap? I hear if you stick it in the fridge for an hour it boosts the signal

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy

A System Wars response appears!

@PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

No, it doesn't?! I guess context on what you think sucks would be critical, but I spoke about Nintendo Network above which would mean if I find the Nintendo Network decent, certainly the PS4 is fine as well...I'm not sure if you want to debate the merits of WiFi, but I certainly don't as that is old hat and it wouldn't help the TC at all.

I wanted to let the user know he should go to a different forum to avoid posts like yours, as it will just be a fanboy battle of their favorite networks.

I can say since 2013 launch, like tens of millions of others, I have no problems with any of consoles/laptops/smart phones WiFi for many years; The PS4 Wifi is great on my end with DLs and just as good as my WiFi solutions I used for the 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U, etc.

I have no intentions of spending hundreds of dollars to rebuy hardware I already own (Xbone Slim, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Xbone Scopio), so you'll have to ask others.

I did hear there was an 5Ghz Wifi added coming though for the new PS4 Slim and Pro, but I don't need that as 5Ghz has a range issue...although my ASUS Router is kick ass and my ISP speed is top notch. I understand others may want to opt for other solutions depending on range, speed, etc.

The user is asking for help, and you quoted me...may want to help out the dude if you can. It's the wrong forum if he's going to get 'XYZ sucks' and 'XYZ is teh awesome sauce' only responses, for sure.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107

@SolidTy:

Well it's not a system War argument as I never owned any Xbox system in its 15 year career while avoidingavoiding GC, Wii and WiiU.

Every WiFi device I have works well except PS4 last I checked. (I used a Ethernet cable now)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Uhh, PS4 WiFi does suck balls dudes. Not even sure how this is a discussion lol.

@PSP107 said:

Every WiFi device I have works well except PS4 last I checked.

Exactly. I had 160 down 25 up and a 5ms ping at the place I just recently moved from. Everything was blazing fast except for my PS4. I could download a 50gb game from Steam in the same time it would take me to download an indie game on PS4. Even streaming Netflix in sd you'd see some terrible compression. And just to be clear, we had a $400 router sitting about 10 feet away from it. Only slow device in the whole place.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

What? You don't wire connect? You goddamn savage. =P

BTW, I absolutely hate Comcast modems, apparently you have to call their tech people to adjust modem/router settings.

I know nothing though, see if you can ask them to identify your PS4 MAC address, set up a static IP, and designate that IP address as a DMZ. See if that helps. My network management skills are shit though so might ask someone who knows something what to do.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Fasten your seatbelt......this is the perfect place for this type of question :)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

You don't mention it here, but you have reset your router right? They get wonky sometimes. Unplug for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. It solves most of our problems here.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

PS4 wifi is fine. It depends on your internet and your router.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

No, it doesn't?! I guess context on what you think sucks would be critical, but I spoke about Nintendo Network above which would mean if I find the Nintendo Network decent, certainly the PS4 is fine as well...I'm not sure if you want to debate the merits of WiFi, but I certainly don't as that is old had and it wouldn't help the TC at all.

I wanted to let the user know he should go to a different forum to avoid posts like yours, as it will just be a fanboy battle of their favorite networks.

I can say since 2013 launch, like tens of millions of others, I have no problems with any of consoles/laptops/smart phones WiFi for many years; The PS4 Wifi is great on my end with DLs and just as good as my WiFi solutions I used for the 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U, etc.

I have no intentions of spending hundreds of dollars to rebuy hardware I already own (Xbone Slim, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Xbone Scopio), so you'll have to ask others.

I did hear there was an 5Ghz Wifi added coming though for the new PS4 Slim and Pro, but I don't need that as 5Ghz has a range issue...although my ASUS Router is kick ass and my ISP speed is top notch. I understand others may want to opt for other solutions depending on range, speed, etc.

The user is asking for help, and you quoted me...may want to help out the dude if you can. It's the wrong forum if he's going to get 'XYZ sucks' and 'XYZ is teh awesome sauce' only responses, for sure.

It's not a System Wars response, it does suck, it's a 2.4Ghz single band N level wireless adapter... Xbox One has 5Ghz with dual band support...

It is what it is, and what it is is not good, no need to go all cow on the guy for stating a fact of reality.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#14  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

you won't get the answer you are looking for on this forum section, I will move this to the proper section

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidTy

dynamitecop said:
@SolidTy said:

PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

No, it doesn't?! I guess context on what you think sucks would be critical, but I spoke about Nintendo Network above which would mean if I find the Nintendo Network decent, certainly the PS4 is fine as well...

I'm not sure if you want to debate the merits of WiFi, but I certainly don't as that is old hat and it wouldn't help the TC at all.

It's not a System Wars response, it does suck, it's a 2.4Ghz single band N level wireless adapter... Xbox One has 5Ghz with dual band support...

It is what it is, and what it is is not good, no need to go all on the guy for stating a fact of reality.

Wow, you and insults again...you have problems. I specifically mentioned the Wii U in my first post, try, try again bucko.

Wrong Forum for this, but while I have you here...

Nintendo Network FTW!!!!

---

Could be your Router is starting to go bad. Good Luck.

Hmm...you really need to pay attention.

Also, in my second post I was very specific, and since you must have trouble reading/missed it:

"I'm not sure if you want to debate the merits of WiFi, but I certainly don't as that is old hat and it wouldn't help the TC at all."

Then you go on and do exactly what I said I had NO INTEREST IN DOING (arguing about WiFi [with incredibly biased fanboys]).

You aren't helping the TC with his problem, you are trying to compare machines with me, call me names, and argue. That System Wars mentality, and it's sad as you are overlooking the TC to jump over him to argue.

The TC is asking a particular question, and you are raging on about different machines making your post another typical, non-helpful post.

The PS4 WiFi does not suck with regards to my experience (as evidenced by 10's of millions of PS4 users and the users in this thread who don't support your fanatical claims), you don't have to go all full lemming and pretend all generation suddenly the PS4/Wii U Wifi suddenly suck just to pimp your favorite console that happens to support the more limited range but faster 5Ghz, because what you are then stating is the Wii U/360/PS3/multiple laptops/tablets all suck because at one time these machines didn't support 5Ghz. Lol, I'm sure all last gen you complained over and over about the $100 wireless adapter you had to buy to connect your favorite brand the Xbox 360 to 2.4Ghz Wifi, when the Wii and PS3 had that WiFi option built in for free. Yes, I'm sure the last two gens you complained about Wifi standards, yeeeeaaaah, you're transparent. Next gen 5Ghz is going to suck by your standards when it's replaced, but right now it's fantastic...d'oh!

Plus, users are suddenly supposed to pretend that from 2013-Oct 2016, the WiFi we all use on our PS4s "suck" because one of the most biased users here said so?

Besides, when I set my Xbone to 5Ghz, I got more disconnects due to distance than the more stable and further range 2.4Ghz, so I use 2.4 for my Xbone.

Is there better options than 2.4Ghz? Of course (with a caveat), but that doesn't mean that suddenly 2.4Ghz all of the sudden sucks because on machine can do it and the others cannot (to be rectified with the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro), because it was good enough for the Wii U (which I mentioned in my first post, it was good enough for the 360 when he 360 offered Wifi as early models didn't). Then there is of course, the even faster Wired solution...

@SOedipus said:

PS4 wifi is fine. It depends on your internet and your router.

AGREED.

@Chutebox said:
PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

say what?

Exactly.

Either way, this poor user and OP who I have tried to point out needed help is going to have a tough time in SW as people would rather argue about their fave system, call users names, than actually help the poor TC.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@gamevet77: Short answer, the router is broken.

Long answer, the router is sending a "Wake-on LAN" request to the PS4 for whatever reason, the PS4 is going "wtf do I do with this?" and sending the request back to the router, which is restarting.

The router is doing multiple handshake requests for some strange reason, and the PS4 doesn't know what to do.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@GTR12 said:

Long answer, the router is sending a "Wake-on LAN" request to the PS4 for whatever reason, the PS4 is going "wtf do I do with this?" and sending the request back to the router, which is restarting.

The router is doing multiple handshake requests for some strange reason, and the PS4 doesn't know what to do.

Thank you for that answer. I have the Motorola sbg6580 modem/router combo. Any advice on this issue?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12

@gamevet77 said:
@GTR12 said:

Thank you for that answer. I have the Motorola sbg6580 modem/router combo. Any advice on this issue?

Nope, you need a replacement, either call the ISP or buy one yourself.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@SolidTy:

He states he is having an issue with a LAN connection, not Wifi

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107

@Chris_53:

Oh

swantn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By swantn5
Member since 2011 • 547 Posts

any error codes popping up? could be his DNS?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GTR12

@swantn5 said:

any error codes popping up? could be his DNS?

DNS error code: Lets go back to 2016 and fix this problem.

AimeeDarlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 AimeeDarlz
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Hope it's sorted